OLYMPIA Application Process Extended

Sebby, Daniel M 1SG RET

Mar 29, 2012, 7:59:03 PM3/29/12
to California Military History

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Mare Island Historic Park Foundation announces Receipt of approval of a Request for extension to submit a Phase II application to acquire a Historic Ship from the Spanish American War, the USS OLYMPIA

Vallejo, California/Monday 3/29/2012

On August 15, 2011 the Mare Island Historic Park Foundation (MIHPF) submitted a Letter of Intent to acquire the USS OLYMPIA for display in Dry-Dock #1 at Mare Island.  The Olympia is the oldest surviving steel hulled warship in the world most famous for her role as Admiral Dewey’s flagship in decimating the Spanish fleet in Manila Bay at the outbreak of the Spanish American War in 1898.   Submission of a Letter of Intent is the first step in a three step process for acquisition of the ship.  The three step process was developed by Independence Seaport Museum (ISM), the Navy and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission each of which have a legal interest in the ship.  On November 4, 2001 the ISM, the Board of Port Wardens and the Transfer Application Process Review Panel invited MIHPF to move forward in preparing and submitting a Phase II application.  On January 13, 2012 the MIHPF forward a request to extend the deadline for submission of the Phase II application from May 2012 to April 2013 or later to allow additional time for execution required studies and fund raising.  Previously two other entities had also forwarded similar requests for extension to the Phase II application deadline of May 1, 2012.  Today, March 29, 2012 the MIHPF received word that our request for extension has been approved by the ISM.

Kenneth Zadwick, the president of the MIHPF, commented that: “The display of a historic ship as a monument in Mare Island’s Dry-Dock #1 has long been a goal of the MIHPF.  Acquisition of the OLYMPIA remains our focus to fulfill this goal and we appreciate the fact that the ISM recognizes that the magnitude of the this undertaking requires addition time.  We are sensitive to the ISM’s need to divest the OLYMPIA and the MIHPF is proceeding as rapidly as possible to complete the required studies and application; however, given the relatively short period of time available since the MIHPF became aware of this opportunity we required more time to raise funds and complete our Phase II application.  We believe that our display concept has significant merit including the fact that: because we will display the ship out of water in a dry-dock, the ship’s hull will no longer be subject to corrosion concerns which is the primary reason the ship is being offered for acquisition.  In addition, the OLYMPIA has a historical connection to the Bay Area as she was built here and she operated from Mare Island prior to her dispatch to the Asiatic Station.”

Donations to support this historic venture are being sought to bring OLYMPIA home to Mare Island.  For more information see www.mareislandhpf.org or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tGa4M60qew  for more information regarding donations see  http://www.mareislandhpf.org/ships/donate.html.

The MIHPF is a non-profit public benefit corporation within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. MIHPF was founded in 1995, and operates a 50,000 sq. ft Museum, cares for 2 Mansions on Officer's Row, and operates St. Peter's Chapel with the most Tiffany windows in the West on the former naval shipyard in Vallejo, California.

Contact:

Dennis Kelly

OLYMPIA Project Manager, Mare Island Historic Park Foundation

Drke...@gmail.com

707-338-1373