Blythe military base-WW II

gene solyntjes

Mar 6, 2012, 9:04:22 AM3/6/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I was recently in Blythe, California for the first time in 69 years. I realize I was born there in 1943 when my father was stationed there during WWII. It seems to me I was informed that here was desert warfare tank training program in the Mojave desert at that time, yet information I read refers to an air force base there. Nobody I contacted even had an idea that here was a military base in that area at all.

Does anyone have some conclusive information about this base?

Thank you, in advance,

Gene Solyntjes

William T. Larkins

Mar 6, 2012, 11:11:19 AM3/6/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, In World War II Blythe Army Air Field was a Sub Base of March Field. It had three runways, the longest being 7,000 feet. There was housing for 930 Officers and 3,900 Enlisted Men.

Bill Larkins

Michael Zeiler

Mar 6, 2012, 10:38:13 AM3/6/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Gene,
Desert Center, CA was [a] WWII armored warfare training center. Whether it was the only one remains presumptious until confirmed or corrected by now-declassified Army records from the Armored School, Ft. Campbell, KY, Army Military History center or the National Archives. I recommend on-line search of resources in the order appearing here.
Semper Fr,

Michael D. Zeiler
p.s. Coincidently, I was born nearby Desert Center in mid-August, 1942.

From: gene...@gmail.com
To: california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Subject: California Military History: Blythe military base-WW II
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 07:04:22 -0700

RRTalley

Mar 6, 2012, 12:01:32 PM3/6/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
See these sites:

Robert R. Talley
Author and Publisher
"Child on the Home Front", Growing Up in the San Francisco Bay Area during the World War II and Korean War Eras.
http://www.amazon.com/Child-Home-Front-Robert-Talley/dp/098317640X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302720230&sr=8-1

Mar 6, 2012, 12:24:08 PM3/6/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
From the National Archives, College Park, MD: RG 77, Entry 1011 Box 218

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 09:01:32 -0800
From: rrta...@yahoo.com
To: california-mi...@googlegroups.com
RG77 E1011 Box 218 CAMA 003.pdf
RG77 E1011 Box 218 CAMA 004.pdf
RG77 E1011 Box 218 CAMA 005.pdf

Bill Tubbs

Mar 6, 2012, 12:46:09 PM3/6/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Interestingly, one can see what is clearly much of an abandoned series of runways/revetments surrounding the active airport west of Blythe on Google Earth. From the circles it appears that much of the area was turned over to agriculture, but the weed-infested concrete is obvious.

Sent from my iPhone

Team Rice

Mar 6, 2012, 1:03:39 PM3/6/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com, california-mi...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to do some research for my family memoirs and my father who is 86 years old.

Does anyone have ANY insight into AWS air warning squadron 8 from approx 1944 45 Summer and the Marines in an "aquacade" show that was put on at that time?  Mojave air base in WWII.

Freeze was my fathers commander at the time he tells me if that helps spark any memories.

My father and others put on a water show for entertainment with spring diving on fire, and other water acrobatics.   Then off to Okinawa.
Please help me if you or you know anyone that would know.

Thank you. This would be a special gift for my father for sure to reminisce this time of his life.

Scott

Ken Peterson

Mar 6, 2012, 6:57:50 PM3/6/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Gene

It sounds as if you may be referring to Gen Patton's Desert Training Center'

http://www.militarymuseum.org/CAMA.html
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/needles/patton.html

Ken Peterson

Major, Armor

US Army (ret)

185th Armor Regiment

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 07:04:22 -0700

Gene Solyntjes

Mar 6, 2012, 5:45:55 PM3/6/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com

Bill,

 Thanks for the first of this info on Blythe which I do appreciate.

Gene

Carol Lynn McKibben

Mar 7, 2012, 10:45:38 AM3/7/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

It is a pleasure to join this discussion.

I researched and published a book on the relationship between Fort Ord and the town of Seaside (I attached th flyer). I expected to find the downside of town life next to a military base. Instead, I found it to be an enormous asset, both to the development of the town and to the ways that military personnel and their families changed life for the better for all.

I am interested in expanding this work to analyse other base-ton relationships during the decades after the Truman order to integrate the military. Does anyone have memories, experiences, suggestions for me?

Thank you so much--I am in awe of the positive power of this side of military life!

Best,

Carol

Dr. Carol Lynn McKibben
Lecturer, Coordinator Public History/Public Service
Department of History
450 Serra Mall, Bldg. 200
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305