Blythe military base

Gene Solyntjes

Mar 6, 2012, 5:42:11 PM3/6/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

 I was born in 1943 at the military base in Blythe California. Recently Linda and I drove through there. Nobody we contacted had any idea about a military base there.

Since I had spent 18 days there before we moved to Wall Walla Washington during the war, I am curious as to information about this military base, which Mom said was really bustling at that time.

I would appreciate any and all info on this history of this military base.

Thank You in advance,

Gene Solyntjes C./L.O., C. Ped. ( ret.)

libr...@aol.com

Mar 6, 2012, 8:21:57 PM3/6/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Sad news.  I am a retired SSG.  Some years ago I was working full time in a military museum, on two separate
occasions, two women in their 30's along with their children, came into the museum and were astonished to find that
there had been two world wars!

Teaching history is no longer PC.

artk...@aol.com

Mar 6, 2012, 8:23:54 PM3/6/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com

General Do have any suggestions. Art

Mar 7, 2012, 2:20:51 PM3/7/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
I have done some volunteer work at Fort Mott, NJ, and have found that consistently, the women visitors have had better and more intelligent questions than the men. No theory as to why that might be, but it has been my experience, for what it is worth.

If you watch Jeopardy on TV, you will see that people who know who played first base for Cincinnati in 1953, or what movie won the Oscar in 1941, do not know what century the Spanish-American War was in.

And don't get me started on the quality of all to many History PhD dissertations.

To: california-mi...@googlegroups.com
From: artk...@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 20:23:54 -0500

Stuart Fuller

Mar 7, 2012, 6:55:58 PM3/7/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
if you google Blythe Airbase, wikipedia has excellent breakdown on when the Air Base was originally started, and how it was taken over by the Army Air Corps for different mission, such as supporting the Desert Training Center, Bomber Squadron Training etc. Good read and lots of information

Stu Fuller
"Former Soldier"

Mar 7, 2012, 11:48:38 PM3/7/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mr. Smith,

I have retired to Las Vegas, New Mexico and for what its worth, this is the city Teddy Roosevelt raised his Rough Riders in and they had their reunions here until the mid 1960's. This tiny city of 14,000 with 3 colleges has over 900 buildings listed on the National Historic Registry.

Thank you for your information about the Blythe Air force base.

Gene Solyntjes

Keith Norman

Mar 8, 2012, 3:55:56 AM3/8/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
I wish you luck findng thee information you are seeking. I am trying to get some  information about Mathers AFB I was born there in 1956 and there was a photo in the base news paper of 3 sets of twins  and i am one of thee twins. I am tryiing to locate the other 2 sets of twins it's hard since the base closed but i am going to keep tt up. My next move will be going to Sacramento, Ca and see if i can get any information from the hall of records I have the news paper with photo and the parents names and the nurses names. After searching over 20 years i think i can complete this mission. I wanted you to know i understand and good luck. Thank you for the motivation

Gene S

Mar 8, 2012, 8:52:20 AM3/8/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Keith,

I am content with the knowledge this site has given me about the base itself. My family has done extensive work on genealogy and we are well versed on our family history back to Europe in the 15th century.

There is much available presently on the Internet regarding Genealogy. I was fortunate to purchase a Sharps rifle from the Civil war. The Minnesota Historical Society "raised " a medallion inset into the stock for us and we discovered the weapon was used by a Corporal Dow of "Iron Brigade" fame who fought in every major battle in the Army of the Potomac from Bull Run to  Gettysburg. We discovered over 104 pages of documentation concerning Dow, his becoming a minister after the war and we also discovered his grave site in Minneapolis. We greatly enjoyed the journey of discovery.

Thank You,

Gene

Carol Lynn McKibben

Mar 8, 2012, 6:04:43 PM3/8/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
I am sorry to hear that and hope my work does not fall into that category!Carol

Dr. Carol Lynn McKibben
Lecturer, Coordinator Public History/Public Service
Department of History
450 Serra Mall, Bldg. 200
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305
(650)723-3526
(650)725-0597 FAX

Certainly much of the material that is presented today as history even by academics is nothing but poorly researched rehash and wishful thinking.

I have done some volunteer work at Fort Mott, NJ, and have found that consistently, the women visitors have had better and more intelligent questions than the men. No theory as to why that might be, but it has been my experience, for what it is worth.

If you watch Jeopardy on TV, you will see that people who know who played first base for Cincinnati in 1953, or what movie won the Oscar in 1941, do not know what century the Spanish-American War was in.

And don't get me started on the quality of all to many History PhD dissertations.

To: california-mi...@googlegroups.com

Team Rice

Mar 9, 2012, 12:33:41 PM3/9/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for earlier mail. Smartphone oops

I am hoping you can provide me some guidance.

I am looking for any help on finding out more about the Mojave air station from WWII. My father was there as a Marine.

Thank you in advance.

Scott Rice

Team Rice

Mar 9, 2012, 12:30:25 PM3/9/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Need some help.

John P Boal

Mar 9, 2012, 11:31:35 PM3/9/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com

John P Boal

Mar 9, 2012, 11:34:28 PM3/9/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Re: Marine Corps Air Station, Mojave, Kern Co: here are three matchcovers in
my collection from that facility. John Boal