Navy History and Heritage Command Commander Resigns

Dan Sebby

Apr 24, 2012, 12:41:45 PM4/24/12
to Dan Sebby

The director of the Navy’s historical command resigned Monday, the Navy’s top spokesman Rear Adm. Denny Moynihan
said, in the wake of an inspector general report that found his command struggling with decaying records and fraying ties to historians.

Jay DeLoach, a retired rear admiral, had led the Naval History and Heritage Command, which is based at Washington Navy
Yard, since 2008. In that job, he had overseen 112 employees who preserve and archive the Navy’s historical collections,
a voluminous collection of records, artifacts, art and photographs, as well as 12 Navy museums.

Complete story in the Navy Times..

Peter G. Meyerhof

Apr 24, 2012, 4:11:32 PM4/24/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
The Washington Navy Yard contains an outstanding collection of historical artifacts and documents in their museum and library-archives. I visited a few years ago to do some research. They have several items related to California history including Commodore John Sloat’s dress sword from the time of the raising of the American flag here, and a scale model of the Congress which brought his successor Commodore Richard Stockton to replace Sloat a few weeks later. I was researching the fate of one of the 1846 Bear Flags which may not have been returned to California in the 1850s, the one made at the direction of Captain John Montgomery of the Portsmouth soon after he received the Todd Bear Flag. The Washington Navy Yard could not help me. It is the really the motivation for the creation of this flag that Montgomery said would be a small improvement on the one he received (he ordered the bear to be colored brown rather than red as on Todd’s flag) that I believe speaks volumes about his faith in the Bear party and fear that Stockton’s heavy-handed approach could loose California again.

Peter G. Meyerhof