Calgary UX Book Club - March 2010: Understanding Comics

Chad4nier

Feb 1, 2010, 3:51:55 AM2/1/10
to Calgary UX Book Club
Beginning in 2010, the Calgary UX Book Club will merge with the
Calgary UX Group. We will still get together to review UX books, but
on a bi-monthly basis. We will alternate every other month with a
Calgary UX Group function. We will maintain having our get-togethers
on the last Wednesday of every month. For February we are planning a
screening of Objectified. More details to follow soon.

Our next book review will be March 31st (7-9pm), with the location to
be determined as we get closer to the date.

It was decided by the group that was in attendance that we be reading
and reviewing: Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art by Scott
McCloud. You can find out more about the book by visiting the author's
website. You can purchase the book on Amazon. It's a 215-page comic
book about comics. The book explains the inner workings of the medium
and examines many aspects of visual communication. It's ideas apply in
fields such as game design, animation, web development, and interface
design.

Topics include:

* Definitions, history, and potential.
* Visual Iconography and its Effects.
* Closure, reader participation between the panels.
* Word-picture dynamics.
* Time and motion.
* The psychology of line styles and color.
* Comics and the artistic process.

Click on http://groups.google.ca/group/calgary-ux-book-club/web/march-2010-understanding-comics?hl=en
- or copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't
work.