Few questions/issues

venky

Mar 31, 2021, 1:24:50 PM3/31/21
to CalenGoo-Android-Support
1. How can I change the color of the line that shows the current time (from red to something else)?

2. In the week widget there are vertical lines which separate the days, but in the week view of the calendar there are no vertical lines separating the days. How can I enable showing vertical lines to separate the days in week view of the calendar?

3. How can I show the week number on week widget and on week view of calendar?

4. I changed the setting to show the current day in the header with a different color highlight, but the it 's not working. How can I show the current day in the header with a different background color? Same issue with the font of the current day in the header which is not working even though in setting I set the font color.

Overall, there are many, many bugs, the widget does not work like it's supposed to, some settings don't work, etc.
Message has been deleted

CalenGoo Support

Mar 31, 2021, 5:49:27 PM3/31/21
to CalenGoo-Android-Support
On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 7:24:50 PM UTC+2 venky wrote:

Hi!

1. How can I change the color of the line that shows the current time (from red to something else)?

You can change it under "Settings > Display and Use > General > Time zone > Color".

2. In the week widget there are vertical lines which separate the days, but in the week view of the calendar there are no vertical lines separating the days. How can I enable showing vertical lines to separate the days in week view of the calendar?

There are already vertical lines by default:

2021-03-31_23-40.png

3. How can I show the week number on week widget and on week view of calendar?

"Settings > Display and Use > Week view > Display week number".

4. I changed the setting to show the current day in the header with a different color highlight, but the it 's not working. How can I show the current day in the header with a different background color? Same issue with the font of the current day in the header which is not working even though in setting I set the font color.

It seems to work fine:

2021-03-31_23-43.png

Which settings did you change? Can you please send me a screenshot of the problem?

Overall, there are many, many bugs, the widget does not work like it's supposed to, some settings don't work, etc.

The only problem that I know of is that the week widget in columns mode does not work correctly in the current version. But the settings that you mentioned here all seem to work fine and I am not aware of any other bugs. No one reported any other bugs so far. Please tell me if you find any bugs, then I can certainly fix them! And regarding the problem with the week widget, you can just install the current beta version by becoming a "Tester" on https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.calengoo.android . That version already contains the fix for the week widget. But the official version will probably be fixed in a few days, too.

If you have problems with color settings please check if you have maybe turned the "High contrast" accessibility feature of Android on, which adds its own colors to apps to increase the contrast.

Please tell me if you find any bugs, then I can certainly fix them!

Kind regards

Dominique Gunia

venky

Apr 1, 2021, 6:45:15 AM4/1/21
to CalenGoo-Android-Support
Thanks for your reply. Just to set the context: I'm using latest version of Android. I have dark theme enabled. I'm using week widget and week view with days as (7) columns.

1. This setting is not intuitive at all for its intended purpose i.e., the current time indicator line. Anyway, I changed the color in this setting as you suggested, but it did not update/change the color in the week widget or the week view in calendar.

2. I'm talking about week view in the calendar with days as columns. However, week widget (again with days as columns) shows the vertical separator lines, but I'd also like to know how to change the line color.

3. I already have this setting configured, but week number is not displayed on week widget. It is only shown on week view in calendar.

4. Again I'm talking about week widget and week view in calendar. The header color and font color for current day in these two cases is not working.

5. I don't have high contrast enabled.

6. I think you have way too many settings. Other calendar apps are much more user friendly with respect to settings. I suppose you wanted the user to have the benefit of lots of customizations which is why you probably provide this many settings, but I think there needs to be some documentation to explain the settings (at least some of them) plus more importantly fix the settings for week widget and week view. You said that some of the issues with week widget and week view will be fixed in next version, so I'm looking forward to them. As I communicated to you I purchased few calendar apps in the past (not satisfied) and finally purchased your app (hoping it will be the silver bullet to typical and common shortcomings in a calendar app) and I rely on calendar app a lot and I expect them to have good functionality, user friendly, reliable, and (mostly) bug free.

I've already communicated to you issues and suggestions via email. I'll let you know as I find them as I continue to use the app.

CalenGoo Support

Apr 1, 2021, 10:06:22 AM4/1/21
to CalenGoo-Android-Support
Hi!

Thank you for your message! I have responded to you by email. We can go through these things one by one.

1. I did not know that you are using the week view in "columns" mode. You are right, it just used red for the line. I have fixed it now. Please install the current beta version:

a. Open https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.calengoo.android and become a "Tester".
b. The "Play Store" app should now show a new available update. Install it.
c. If you like you can open https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.calengoo.android again and stop being a "Tester" to only get official updates again. You can find further information about using the beta version here: http://android.calengoo.com/pagedoc/pageinstallation/styled/beta.html

2. Because the week view in columns mode is basically the same as the day view in landscape orientation, it uses many of the settings of that view. So you can change the color of the vertical lines under "Settings > Display and Use > Landscape day view (week) > Vertical lines" (at the end of the list).

3. You have to turn "Settings > Display and Use > Week view > Display week number" on. But unfortunately that setting is hidden in "columns" mode. So please turn the "columns" mode off, turn "Display week number" on and then turn "columns" mode on again. Yes, that's not intuitive but there are reasons why it is this way now. I am always taking existing users into account and try not to make any breaking changes.

4. Which settings do you mean?

6. Having many settings is one of the advantages of CalenGoo that many users appreciate. If you don't want so many settings then just don't open the "Settings" menu and just use the default settings. CalenGoo is configured with reasonable default settings right from the start. If I would remove some settings, then I am sure that some people would be unhappy with it. And if I would have removed all the settings that you have used here, then you would just use the default settings and would have no problems. That's probably not what you want. :-)

Please install the beta version and tell me which setting you used in #4. Thank you very much!

Kind regards

Dominique Gunia

venky

Apr 2, 2021, 5:41:54 AM4/2/21
to CalenGoo-Android-Support
Thanks.

#4. I'm talking about 'Default settings for widgets'. In it, for week widget there is a setting called 'Header background color for today'. I assumed this setting will change the header color for today to whatever color I choose. If that is not the purpose of this setting, then it would be nice to have to show (and be able to customize) a color for the current day in the header both in week widget and week view in calendar. For example, right now in week widget, the entire header row has Red background color (how can I customize this color?), but I want to be able to show a custom color background in the header for current day (today), just like how it is possible to show a custom color for today in the entire vertical column for the day in the calendar week view and week widget. Maybe just extend this same vertical column color all the way up to the header cell which shows the day i.e., Thu 01.

BTW, when do you plan to release the public version in play store?

CalenGoo Support

Apr 2, 2021, 2:32:17 PM4/2/21

#4. I'm talking about 'Default settings for widgets'. In it, for week widget there is a setting called 'Header background color for today'.

That setting belongs to the "Week Widget 4x4" but you are using the "Week Widget 4x3". Unfortunately the Android launcher has certain limitations. The week view in column mode has to be displayed as an image in the widget (because otherwise the widget functions of Android are not flexible enough to display it). But an image for a 4x4 widget is too large and is not supported by Android. That's why currently only the "Week Widget 4x3" supports the "column" mode. And that widget has only a few settings because it is basically just the same as the "Landscape day view (week)" and uses its settings ("Settings > Display and Use > Landscape day view (week)").

However I have added additional settings for the background color of the header and for the background color of current day's header to the "Week Widget 4x3" section now. Just update to the latest beta version.

BTW, when do you plan to release the public version in play store?

I don't know yet. I am currently releasing another update and I don't know when I will release the next. It depends on what it contains. You can just install the beta version and stop being a "Tester" afterward if you don't want to receive further beta versions.

Please don't hesitate to contact me again if you have further questions!

Kind regards

Dominique Gunia

venky

Apr 4, 2021, 6:46:54 AM4/4/21
to CalenGoo-Android-Support
Thanks. Actually, I'm using Week 5x5 widget. Is there any benefit in using one widget over another? I figured 5x5 widget is better because it might show more information.

CalenGoo Support

Apr 4, 2021, 6:48:40 AM4/4/21
to CalenGoo-Android-Support
Most of the widgets can be resized, so you can also resize the 4x3 widget to 5x5. The different sizes are only there because if I would remove some of the sizes (and only offer one size for each kind of widget), the widgets of existing users using these widgets would vanish.