Deploying an Instance of Calgator 1.0.0

Jonathan Moriarty

Aug 1, 2019, 4:33:19 PM8/1/19
to Calagator Development
Hi folks,

I thought I would post here and see if someone with more experience might be able to help me resolve the problem I'm having. I've been using an older version of Calagator for an events calendar for gamedev-related events in Baltimore for a couple years now. We've been having some issue with the EC2 instance it's running on lately, so I'm in the process of installing the newest version of Calagator on a fresh EC2 instance.

I don't have much experience with Ruby, but I was able to use rvm to install ruby 2.3.8 and get the calagator gem to install successfully through that (I'm following the directions listed here: https://github.com/calagator/calagator/blob/master/INSTALL.md). However, when I try to run it to make a calendar, it proceeds normally until the following errors. I've been working through the errors as I come across them (I needed to comment out a line /home/deploy/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.8/gems/railties-4.2.11.1/lib/rails/generators/actions.rb to fix a modifying frozen string error, install some missing packages, etc.) and I wanted to know if anyone has done this recently that could point me to up-to-date directions or know how to resolve the errors I'm seeing:

 rake    db:create
Specified 'sqlite3' for database adapter, but the gem is not loaded. Add `gem 'sqlite3'` to your Gemfile (and ensure its version is at the minimum required by ActiveRecord).

I already have the sqlite3 gem installed, and I wouldn't think I would need to modify the Gemfile to get it to work since I'm doing a clean install. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Sincerely,

Jonathan Moriarty

Shawna Scott

Aug 10, 2019, 4:04:18 PM8/10/19
to calagator-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan!

I haven’t been able to look at this in depth, but off the top of my head, the error you’re describing could be caused by using the environment’s SQLite gem (which may not exist) rather than the bundled SQLite gem. If this is the case, running the command with the bundled gem specified should resolve it. You can do that by running “bundle exec rake db:create”. If that doesn’t resolve it, reply here please!

Best,
Shawna

Jonathan Moriarty

Aug 20, 2019, 4:42:06 PM8/20/19
to Calagator Development
Hi Shawna,

Thank you for replying, I'm sorry my reply is delayed, this is something I can really only take a crack at in the dregs of my spare time. Perhaps you might be able to help me with another issue I'm having. I'm seeing "/home/deploy/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.8/gems/railties-4.2.11.1/lib/rails/generators/actions.rb:26:in `gem': can't modify frozen String (RuntimeError)" when I use the version of railties that seems to have been installed by 'gem install calagator' Updating that gem fixes that error, but causes problems because running 'new calagator calendar_name' requires rails 4.0 or less, so it avoids that error, but stops installing at that point instead. Is there a specific known good version of rails / railties for Calagator?

P.S. I've been keeping a log of the steps I've been taking to configure Calagator on an EC2 instance this time. I'd be happy to put them up somewhere for others to use once I'm done and have it working.

-Jonathan
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to calagator-development+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Audrey Eschright

Aug 20, 2019, 5:15:32 PM8/20/19
to calagator-...@googlegroups.com
We definitely understand about the free time! Some replies below.

On Aug 20, 2019, at 12:46 PM, Jonathan Moriarty <thearm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Shawna,

Thank you for replying, I'm sorry my reply is delayed, this is something I can really only take a crack at in the dregs of my spare time. Perhaps you might be able to help me with another issue I'm having. I'm seeing "/home/deploy/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.8/gems/railties-4.2.11.1/lib/rails/generators/actions.rb:26:in `gem': can't modify frozen String (RuntimeError)" when I use the version of railties that seems to have been installed by 'gem install calagator' Updating that gem fixes that error, but causes problems because running 'new calagator calendar_name' requires rails 4.0 or less, so it avoids that error, but stops installing at that point instead. Is there a specific known good version of rails / railties for Calagator?

I think you may have been caught by a consequence of our very slow release process. The dependencies got really out of sync, unfortunately. Let me see if I can go ahead and do a v1.1 of the gem this week with the needed updates.

P.S. I've been keeping a log of the steps I've been taking to configure Calagator on an EC2 instance this time. I'd be happy to put them up somewhere for others to use once I'm done and have it working.

That would be great. Putting together a sample Terraform config for deploying Calagator on EC2 is on my current wishlist, so having your notes would be a helpful starting point.

Audrey

-Jonathan