Fwd: Join Cal 46+ Owners Group

Alfred M Bloch

Jul 25, 2015, 2:27:04 PM7/25/15
to <cal46@googlegroups.com>

From: Alfred M Bloch <amb...@yahoo.com>
Date: July 25, 2015 at 9:49:26 AM PDT
To: "sandsen...@gmail.com" <sandsen...@gmail.com>
Cc: "cal46+...@googlegroups.com" <cal46+...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Join Cal246 Group

Hi Carol:

We are delighted to have you join us. 😎 Love your email address. Our Ranger Rover's license plate is 'AGROUND'. Only sailors can figure that out correctly.

Please send us some info on yourselves; your present location; your boating experience; short term and long term sailing plans and anything else you would like to share.

Ariel joined our little group in about 1981, so we are probably one of the longest standing members. In the past we had a little more formal organization, sent out newsletters, etc. it's hard to believe, but that was more than a decade before email was started!

If you are interested, after you read the messages, any constructive suggestions, short of forcing me to join Facebook or Twitter, will be well received by this old sailor.

Alfred Bloch
Ariel (at Marina del Rey, CA)

Sent from my handheld

On Jul 25, 2015, at 8:53 AM, sandsen...@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,  We are Cal246 owners and would like to join the Group.  Can you assist?  Thanks, Carol Easterbrook

Edwin

Jul 25, 2015, 5:42:28 PM7/25/15
to Alfred M Bloch, <cal46@googlegroups.com>
To all Original Cal Cruising 46 owners:

I'd like to know if owners  of the 16-18 original cal built have ventured far off shore like marquesas or Tahiti

I would like to know some experiences anyone has had
What modifications were made
Storm window covers
Internal layout modifications etc

Any suggestions or recommendations on how best to prepare

Thank Roy in advance
Edwin

Sent from my iPhone

redst...@aol.com

Jul 25, 2015, 8:18:03 PM7/25/15
to Edwin, Alfred M Bloch, <cal46@googlegroups.com>
Check with Tom on Satori. He has Jack Jensen's that has gone around the world.
Great storm shutters.

Jack a hearts

relaxinonboard

Jul 27, 2015, 4:16:39 AM7/27/15
to cal46, amb...@yahoo.com
I'm on now called Twisted Journey, a 1976 version.  She made it to NZ and back around 1981.  No storm shutters.

andy

edwin matias

Feb 14, 2021, 11:55:27 PM2/14/21
to Alfred M Bloch, <cal46@googlegroups.com>

Hello fellow Cal 46 owners

I have the original Cal 46 hull 5 with

hailing port in Marina del Rey  CA

I looked into a transpac regada 2022 requirements

And one of these is a mandatory emergency rudder in case you lose the unprotected

Spade  rudder

I’ve looked at Scanmar system in northern call

Their bracket/ rudder system unfortunately is only 33% of the existing rudder

And all the internet research I’ve done indicate that it needs to be at least 50%

Of the existing rudder

Finco fabrication in Santa Ana can fabricate a 50% rudder (with foss rudder and Steve brown )

But I would need a fabricator to custom build brackets and can not find one to do it

Has anyone built a back up rudder? Short of using a Hydrovane or monitor?

Would appreciate any recommendations or tips or any ideas

How to go about doing this

Thanks in advance.  I’d really appreciate it

Edwin
S/V Lahlia
MdR CA
Cal Cruising 46

Sent from my iPad

David Rucker

Feb 15, 2021, 2:31:42 AM2/15/21
to edw...@gmail.com, amb...@yahoo.com, ca...@googlegroups.com
Took 2-46 from Miami through Panama canal, Galapagos, Marchesas, Australia, Singapore ending in Phuket, Thailand, all with Blue Water Rally group. Follow the trade winds and enjoy down wind sleigh rides.

Mods included HF radio for e-mail, auto pilot, radar and good chart plotter. Was before AIS which you should now use. Had a satellite phone for emergencies and parts ordering, but that was 14 years ago.