Perkins

nshawdvm

Jul 13, 2023, 11:40:00 PM7/13/23
to cal46
What type of oil do you use? How much do you consume over time? What RPM do you cruise at? And finally what temp does your engine run stay?
For me:
I am using about 1quart of oil for 30 hours at 1700 RPM. Running temp is 165F and I’ve been using Rotella T4 15-40 diesel engine oil.
Thanks for your responses
Nick

Edwin

Jul 14, 2023, 2:07:22 AM7/14/23
to nshawdvm, cal46
I’ve been using pure chevron straight 40
Weight. Delo 40 as recommended by an old old diesel mechanic

If I run at 17 or 1800 rpm yes I will need to add a Qt every 20hrs or so

But if I run at 1200 rpm
Temp stays at 160-170.
 at 1800 rpm engine temp goods to 180 F

I have no white black or blue fumes in the exhaust.  Engine runs great. Smooth
Doesn’t overhead no funny smoke

Only thing during my trip to catalina island
Few weeks ago one of the freeze plugs
On the exhaust manifold sprung a pin prick
Leak and the entire engine room was flooded
With sea water and my 185 amp
Leece Neville alternator got fried

Hope this helps
Good luck

Edwin
S/V Lahlia
Cal Cruising 46
Marina del Rey CA

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 13, 2023, at 8:40 PM, nshawdvm <nsha...@shaw.ca> wrote:

What type of oil do you use? How much do you consume over time? What RPM do you cruise at? And finally what temp does your engine run stay?

Nick Shaw

Mar 14, 2024, 10:41:30 PMMar 14
to cal46

Anyone in this group know the serial number on their Perkins? I have only U101739 which is not a complete number. It’s likely the first part is missing and it’s probably the same as other 1973-74 cal 2.46’s.
Anyway if you know your engine number please share; it’ll help me figure out mine.
Thanks
Nick

Edwin

Mar 15, 2024, 9:06:07 AMMar 15
to Nick Shaw, cal46
Hi Nick

My 1968 Perkins is 236U9850

The number can ca be found on the right side engine block (opposite the starter//exhaust manifold side)

Hope that helps

Edwin
Sent from my iPhone