Feathering prop - experiences & suggestions?

Gord Lamb

Mar 21, 2016, 3:10:46 PM3/21/16
to cal46
Hello again!

I'm looking at replacing my 23x25' fixed 3-blade with a feathering prop - Autoprop, maxprop, autostream, etc.

Has anyone done this?  What did you go with, and how is it working out?

--
Gordon
s/v Wanderlust

Alfred M. Bloch

Mar 21, 2016, 5:02:06 PM3/21/16
to Gord Lamb, cal46, Dirk Stoehr
Hi Gord:

Many years ago we replaced the fixed three blade on Ariel with a feathering 3 blade and have been very happy with the result.  We sail better and motor just as well as we did with the fixed 3 blade.

Our propeller was from Paul Luke in E. Boothbay, Maine.  Luke has been in business for more that 50 years and has a great reputation for quality.  We have been very pleased with the product and only returned it to Luke one time for service.

We make it a point to have it seriously lubricated with a lithium grease on a yearly basis.

Hope this helps.

Alfred Bloch
ARIEL
cc: Dirk

Mar 21, 2016, 5:12:59 PM3/21/16
to cal46
Hello
Sorry, I forgot to cc group! (see my response to Gord).
Regarding what Alfred said, I also suggest staying on top of that prop zinc, you don't want to damage such a nice piece of equipment.   The Gori is supposedly water lubricated.  We too motor just as well with the Gori.
Regards,
David

----------
Mar 21, 2016, 7:54:55 PM3/21/16
to Gord Lamb, cal46
My cal cruising 46 has had this maxi prop feathering ( based out of Seattle )
For as long a as I and the prior owner of 19 yrs had it

I have nothing but good to say about it
It's very responsive
Creates little ( it any) drag
Never had to grease it for 8 yrs

It's the way to do it

Edwin
Cal Cruising 46
Marina deal Rey CA
Lahlia

Sent from my iPad

Steve Easterbrook

Mar 22, 2016, 10:55:09 AM3/22/16
to Edwin, Gord Lamb, cal46
Hi,
We also have a Max Prop and have good results with it, however, PYI is a bit expensive for service. They would like minimum of $1500 to even look at it. Would you let me know what your settings are for your prop. Mine is off now, removed by a diver, and I'm not sure of the best settings.
Thanks,
Steve Easterbrook
'Sands-End'

steve easterbrook

Mar 22, 2016, 11:34:44 AM3/22/16
to cal46

Edwin

Mar 22, 2016, 5:41:03 PM3/22/16
to Steve Easterbrook, Gord Lamb, cal46
For  1500 they refurbishm it so it's like new when done

Sent from my iPhone

NICHOLAS SHAW

Mar 22, 2016, 6:04:47 PM3/22/16
to steve easterbrook, cal46
I have a two blade max prop. Installed by a Po. It seems to work very well, had it apart last summer to inspect and grease up and the only parts I replaced were the tiny cotter pins

Sent from my iPhone

Alfred M. Bloch

Mar 22, 2016, 6:27:19 PM3/22/16
to NICHOLAS SHAW, steve easterbrook, cal46
We had tried a two blade Maxi prop on Ariel.  It was fine for sailing, but we found it more uneven under power than the three blade.

BTW, when we cruised in the Pacific Northwest, We were fearful of hitting a semi-submerged log, so we put on the old fixed three blade.  We usually carry that as a spare, but at those times the Luke Automatic Feathering prop became the spare to protect it.  Repair of the fixed prop after a collision with a log would have been easier to come by than the Luke. Yes, we know the hull takes the hit at least 90% of the time.

We did switch back to the Luke for the return downwind sail from Victoria to Marina del Rey.

Alfred
Ariel

Apr 29, 2016, 10:33:45 AM4/29/16
to cal46
Max prop also here.  Works great.  Glad I didn't have to buy it.

andy

Alfred Bloch

Apr 29, 2016, 2:22:14 PM4/29/16
to relaxinonboard, cal46
Love my 3 blade Luke feathering prop.  They are rather pricey.

Had tried a 2 blade Maxi prop. It feathered well but motored roughly and we were unhappy with that part.

Luke is a very old company Maine company, and our prop has been extremely dependable.

Alfred Bloch
Ariel

Sent from my handheld

Steve Easterbrook

Apr 29, 2016, 5:55:09 PM4/29/16
to Alfred Bloch, relaxinonboard, cal46
Hi,
We have a 3 blade Max prop...works great...being reconditioned...very expensive service, and sensitive to corrosion.
We are now using a fixed 3 blade which is unacceptable t have spinning hole sailing.
Steve 'Sands-End' San Diego.

nshawdvm

Jan 20, 2021, 2:43:13 PM1/20/21
to cal46
Any updates to this thread? Can anyone  with a 2 blade max prop tell me the size and pitch? Anyone with a 3 or 4 blade feathering prop?
What is the maximum size that can be accommodated?  I have an old 2 blade max and am considering rebuild vs replace with something better. I had notes  about size and pitch but I can’t find them. I think it might be 22 or 24” and pitch of 26 but uncertain.
I’ll be hauling sometime soonish but wanted to sort this so if I decide to replace I can have the new one in hand.
My max prop 2 blade has been pretty good with lots of reverse thrust and loads of prop walk. I think it’s falls a bit shot on fuel efficiency and vibration so my thinking is a 3 blade max or other brand might improve those things.
I hate that you can’t grease it in the water without screwing around installing zerk fittings.
I’ve been looking at Luke, Variprop, Max and  Autostream.
Any advice?
Priorities for me are
Low drag under sail
Efficient motoring and reverse
Easy service and adjustment.

Edwin

Jan 20, 2021, 3:15:56 PM1/20/21
to nshawdvm, cal46
Hi
Cal hull 5 cal cruising 46 built in 1968
Came with a Maxiprop folding

They are based out of Seattle washington

I don’t know what angle they are
It works very well with good prop walk and reverse thrust fir stopping

I would contact them
They don’t need greezing as they are self contained

Ask them if they will provide info
My prop fir S/V Lahlia
Marina del rey CA

Home address Brunswick ave