installing a water level guage

chstephens99

Jul 26, 2019, 4:51:55 PM7/26/19
to cal46
I wonder how people have installed a water level gauge? The tanks are original Stainless tanks and not very accessible. I would like to hear what others have done. Maybe a site gauge? But where?
I had one on my Islander 36 and problem was light got into it and it would grow green stuff.
Char

Phil Rink

Jul 26, 2019, 7:57:17 PM7/26/19
to chstephens99, cal46
I ran sight tubes in the engine room off the water source lines at the bottom of the tanks. The tubes have to be taller than the water fill locations and they need shutoff valves at the base so you don't suck air into the water pump.

I wonder how people have installed a water level gauge? The tanks are original Stainless tanks and not very accessible. I would like to hear what others have done. Maybe a site gauge? But where?
I had one on my Islander 36 and problem was light got into it and it would grow green stuff.
Char

David Rucker

Jul 26, 2019, 9:07:31 PM7/26/19
to chstep...@gmail.com, ca...@googlegroups.com
Suggest use a 1/4 inch wooden rod. K.I.S.S.

Jul 28, 2019, 4:33:58 PM7/28/19
to chstephens99, cal46
I have the same predicament in my hull no 5 original
Cal cruising 46 Lahlia
Hailing port in marina Del rey
California Esprit marina

That’s one of the things I’d like to install before I take it to
Marquesas to Indian Ocean and on to Mediterranean

Please help

Edwin

Sent from my iPhone

Edwin

Jul 28, 2019, 4:37:23 PM7/28/19
to Phil Rink, chstephens99, cal46
Hi
Phil

Edwin in marina Del rey CA

Pardon my ignorance
But how does sight tubes
Indicate how much water is left?

Is it connected to some sort of transducer? Or gauge of sort?

My hull 5 Crusing 46 holds
180 gal is water

Two tanks

Port and Starboad

Edwin

Sent from my iPhone

Edwin

Jul 28, 2019, 7:04:11 PM7/28/19
to David Rucker, chstep...@gmail.com, ca...@googlegroups.com
A stick?

The two
90 gallon water tanks are below the floor board somewhere with no access to the

Don’t even k ow what the tanks look like

So that would mean I have to drill a hole in the tanks if ever I can get to them which would also require me to remove the main saloon flooring since they are below with no doors hatches or any sort of access

Just to check the level ?

Sent from my iPhone

Phil Rink

Jul 28, 2019, 8:00:48 PM7/28/19
to Edwin, chstephens99, cal46

The tanks have a bottom and a top. A sight tube, transparent and connected at the bottom of the tank, will show the level of the water in the tank. When It’s empty, that the lowest level. When the tank is full, that’s full, the sight glass must go above the side decks because when the tanks are full-full, the fill tube is also full of water.

You need to know the geometry of the tanks to calibrate how many gallons are left, but if you know how many inches of water are in the tank that usually lets you know when you need to run the watermaker, or if it’s OK to take a shower.

If you really zoom in you can see the sight tubes just to the left of the Racors. The F mark is the top of the tank.

https://svbrightwater.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/p1060122_stitch.jpg

Phil

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jul 28, 2019, 11:46:43 PM7/28/19
to Phil Rink, Edwin, chstephens99, cal46
I guess I’m lucky because a previous owner must have installed the floor access panels. It’s easy enough to drill and install wema gauges in the tanks  but the lack of access doors makes that impossible. I couldn’t imagine how I would have done my plumbing and wiring refits without the access either. If they weren’t there already I’d consider making them.
Nick

Sent from my iPad

Edwin

Aug 9, 2019, 12:02:48 AM8/9/19
to NICHOLAS SHAW, Phil Rink, chstephens99, cal46
Hello nick

I have the original cal cruising
46

I can tell from the expanding tanks sound that the water tanks are underneath the main saloon

How many feet is it from the sliding door?
And how many feet from
The Starboad and port sinci have two left and right tanks?

And what’s the best
Simplest most reliablwater guage I can put in without too much trouble ?

Edwin
Cal cruising 46
Lahlia
Marina Del Rey CA

Sent from my iPhone

NICHOLAS SHAW

Aug 9, 2019, 11:16:41 AM8/9/19
to Edwin, Phil Rink, chstephens99, cal46
Hi Ed,
I think my arrangement is original but not 100% certain. Two stainless tanks are just forward on the main bulkhead, outboard to the fuel tanks.
Again I have wema gauges fitted. If you can access you tanks the wema Gauges aeasy enough to retrofit.
Nick

Sent from my iPad

edwmama

Apr 1, 2020, 11:49:07 AM4/1/20
to cal46
Hello folks

After 5 years of keeping the replacement cable in my engine room, I finally managed to replaced the Morse 31’ red cable kill switch in my Cal Cruising 46
Because of work slowdown due to corona virus

In the process I noticed another problem: that the red cable, which controls the transmission (forward or reverse cable) from the outside helm gear shift, has been badly chafed and is hanging by a thread, though it still works
Perfectly fine. It needs to be replaced ASAP

My question is
Does anyone know how LONG this red Morse cable is (gear shifter cable)

It’s the cable from the outside gear shifter to the engine transmission which is located
In the rear of the boat (V drive )

Would appreciate any info and insight into the replacement procedure

Thanks in advance

Edwin
S/V Lahlia
Cal Cruising 46
Marina del Rey CA

Sent from my iPhone

edwin matias

Aug 30, 2020, 2:21:44 AM8/30/20
to NICHOLAS SHAW, Phil Rink, chstephens99, cal46
everyone

I used my anchor today for the first time in my 13 year ownership of hull no 5
Of the Lapworth original cal cruising 46

After we got back to our slip my buddy suggested we hose down the anchor chain and rope in the anchor locker

I heard this draing water running  sound
I couldn't figured  out were the water was draining to. So evidence of water squirtimg
Out anywhere

Not in the aft engine room bilge
and not in the shower sump bilge area

We rinsed that chain pretty good

Anyone know where the water drains to?

I'm sure it drains to the outside
But by which drain hole or what route

Also I'd like to Install a grab handle in the ceiling next to the ceiling hatch of the spacious main saloon of the cruising 46

Has anyone done it
Does anyone have a blue print of where the beams and stringers run on the ceiling?

If so can I have a copy of just the area near the ceiling hatch?

I'd like to screw  the stainless steel
Grab handle into a solid wood not on a plywood

Thanks
S/v Lahlia

Cal cruising 46
Marina del rey CA

Edwin

Jul 21, 2021, 8:46:52 PM7/21/21
to chstephens99, cal46
Hello fellow Cal 46 owners

I have hull 5 of original Cal Cruising 46

Does anyone know how to use the emergency tiller?

We removed round plate on the aft deck where you connect the tiller

But when you attach the tiller, it won’t budge
It won’t move at all

Is there a valve or switch or something I’m supposed to turn of open or close or disconnect  before I can use the emergency heavy tiller in case the hydraulic steering fails?

Thanks in advance

Edwin
Lahlia
Cal Cruising 46
Marina del Rey CA

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 28, 2019, at 1:33 PM, Edwin <edw...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have the same predicament in my hull no 5 original

Alfred Bloch

Jul 21, 2021, 9:43:54 PM7/21/21
to Edwin, chstephens99, cal46
On our Mark III, and 2-46 before that, the tiller worked fine.  It was a bear to use, but we used it to steer the boat just fine.

To share with others who are similarly rigged, we put a line around the tiller and the respective port and starboard winches to easily control the heavy tiller.

Alfred Bloch
ARIEL

On Jul 21, 2021, at 5:46 PM, Edwin <edw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello fellow Cal 46 owners