Club Jib

chstephens99

Aug 7, 2019, 8:25:00 PM8/7/19
to cal46
Hi After beating up wind for a day I remember when I was a kid and my Dad's 30 foot Hurricane sloop had a club Jib as did his Islander 36 before he removed it for an overlapping roller fuller.
So I look at the Cal 2-46 and think I would love to have the ability to just tack effortlessly. I wonder if anyone has seen this done?

I thinkI would have to remove the baby stay and install a couple of side stays slightly forward to keep the mast from pumping.

Any thoughts?

Charlie

Alfred Bloch

Aug 7, 2019, 10:30:04 PM8/7/19
to chstephens99, cal46, Dirk Stoehr,
This is only partially responsive but may be enlightening and hopefully,  fun.

Almost 35 years ago, after consultation with Bill Lapworth, we replaced the main mast with an excellent internal furling mainsail system designed by Alan Blount.

While you gain a great deal, you do lose the sail area of the roach with this modification.  So Bill suggested we offset that by making the mast taller by 3.5’....”more than that will make the boat tippy”.

We also added a furling staysail and running backstays. Unfamiliar with running backstays, I asked, ‘How will I know when I need to use them to avoid pumping?’. To that, Bill responded, “You’ll know!”  I now know.  When in use, the entire rig is much more stable.

Well, Ariel has now sailed for many years as a ketch rigged Cal 46 with internal furling main and mizzen, as well as a furling jib and staysail.  We have sailed from MdR twice as far South as Manzanillo and three times as far North as British Columbia and into Desolation Sound, leaving her there for an extra cruising season or two.

She balances beautifully, points very well for a 46 and goes downwind well. But tacking (which is what you asked about), THAT is a skill we have not been able to master. The staysail, so good in heavy weather, makes that admittedly pretty ugly if not almost impossible.  For our sailing, I will take the staysail over a club footed jib.

Alfred Bloch and Dirk Stoehr (our son)
Ariel at CYC in MdR

chstephens99

Aug 7, 2019, 10:44:38 PM8/7/19
to cal46
Thanks for that report, We are currently sitting in Cortes Bay on Cortes Island and heading back into  Desolation Sound tomorrow. Spent the last 2 days in Campbell river where we managed to get a new starter for the Perkins. Good luck to have it fail while at the dock and not at the end of Pendrell sound.

Not able to do a lot of SAILING up here in the North West.

Charlie
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cal46+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.