Osmosis

nshawdvm

May 5, 2023, 10:49:12 PM5/5/23
to cal46
Anyone else dealing with blisters? I started seeing significant numbers a few years ago and I’m tired of working on them every time I haul out. Anyone bit the bullet and had a peel and dry then relaminate job done?
I’m so deep into this boat I can hardly stand it!
Thanks
Nick

KEVIN BAERG

May 6, 2023, 1:36:15 PM5/6/23
to nshawdvm, cal46
Previous owner of Blue had that or something similar done I believe in Mexico, shortly after he had bought the boat in the Bay/Delta area. Never had a problem afterwards. I could put you in touch with him - he lives in Sidney, BC.

Kevin Baerg (sold Blue in 2019)

On May 5, 2023, at 7:49 PM, nshawdvm <nsha...@shaw.ca> wrote:

Anyone else dealing with blisters? I started seeing significant numbers a few years ago and I’m tired of working on them every time I haul out. Anyone bit the bullet and had a peel and dry then relaminate job done?
I’m so deep into this boat I can hardly stand it!
Thanks
Nick

Edwin

May 7, 2023, 11:49:19 AM5/7/23
to KEVIN BAERG, nshawdvm, cal46
Hi Kevin
I’ve had my Cal Cruising 46 (hull no 5 1968 year built ) for 16 years now, home port here in marina del Rey CA

In my first haul out three years (13 years ago) after purchase
There were a lot of blisters-like chicken pox

They did the work-grounded out each one and filled with microballons and faired

That was 13 years ago

Subsequent bottom painting and haul outs every 4 years or so

Very minimal blistering - very satisfying

The base solid fiberglass epoxy is solid and intact. No water intrusion nor any moisture

The blisters were superficial and did not affect the strength and integrity of the thick solid fiberglass hull

We used Trinidad 70% Cooper anti fouling
Paint- two layers and three at the waters edge

From what I’m told blistering is also affected by water temp and different marinas-sea water- affect blister formation

So no I would not Nuke the problem unless your situation is critical and unbearable

Good luck

Edwin
S/V Lahlia
Cal Cruising 46

Sent from my iPhone

On May 6, 2023, at 10:36 AM, 'KEVIN BAERG' via cal46 <ca...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Previous owner of Blue had that or something similar done I believe in Mexico, shortly after he had bought the boat in the Bay/Delta area. Never had a problem afterwards. I could put you in touch with him - he lives in Sidney, BC.

Edwin

May 7, 2023, 12:16:02 PM5/7/23
to KEVIN BAERG, nshawdvm, cal46

Sent from my iPhone