Bulkhead

NICHOLAS SHAW

Nov 27, 2021, 10:01:44 PM11/27/21
to cal46
Hello fellow Cal 46 and 2-46 owners.
I wonder if anyone has dealt with core rot in the chainplate bulkheads. I decide to remove my main chain plates for inspection. Today I started with the port side and removed all the bolts ( after securing the mast) and noted that there is rotten wood core in at least one of the bolt holes and that the moisture content of the bulkhead over a pretty significant chunk is in excess of my meters limit (33%) . Now there is no indication that the bulkhead is loose or that the tabbing is cracked etc in fact it seems very solid and the glass on each side seems pretty thick explaining that but the core is important in strength. Opening it and recording will change a mid-size job into a big job which I was hoping not to do.
My guess is we may all have this problem but many may not be aware of it.
Please share your experience and thoughts on this issue.
Thanks
Nick

Sent from my iPad

Charles Stephens

Nov 27, 2021, 10:11:59 PM11/27/21
to NICHOLAS SHAW, cal46
Hi Nick,
We looked at my port chainplate bulkhead on Pacifica and I am sure the ply under the glass is rotten. My feeling is there is enough glass on both sides of that rot to have the needed strength to support load.
I have considered adding some more glass on top of the existing glass.
Not. Top priority at this time.
Pacifica is being hauled on Monday to repair the keel for this summers grounding. You were correct telling me the keel is fully encapsulated.
I will be interested to see the damage and get it fixed.

Charlie

Edwin

Nov 28, 2021, 8:46:03 PM11/28/21
to Charles Stephens, NICHOLAS SHAW, cal46
I have t had that problem

God luck

Edwin

Sent from my iPhone