Re: [cal46] Digest for cal46@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Andy Neilson

Jul 21, 2022, 2:41:25 PM7/21/22
to ca...@googlegroups.com
I had a 4-236 in my Cal.  But instead of doing a rebuild for $$$ and still having a 40+ year old motor I spent $$$$ and installed a new Perkins, doesn’t leak or burn oil. Been great for last 12 years.  Very reliable.

Andy
Twisted Journey currently for sale.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 11:32 AM <ca...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Edwin <edw...@gmail.com>: Jul 21 05:37AM -0700

They’re great engines

Yes burning 1 liter of oil at max rpm (2000)

Is not unheard of

I have the same issue with my 50 year old

Original un rebuilt Perkins 4.236

But if I run it at 1600 rpm I’d need maybe

A half a pint after 12 hrs

Runs great

Yes you can put in new piston rings

For $$$$

Cheaper to juts carry oil and run at sweet

Spot

Edwin
Cal Cruising 46
S/V Lahlia
Marina de Rey CA

Sent from my iPhone

Gord Lamb <gla...@gmail.com>: Jul 21 01:37PM -0400

I must be lucky!

Wanderlust's 4.236 is at around 2000 hours after its last rebuild, and
doesn't burn any oil at all. Motored approximately 30 hours over the past
month, and the oil level's at the same place on the dipstick I filled it up
to.

I just use whatever diesel-grade 15w40 is on sale, and change every 100
hours. I honestly don't think it makes a difference for our engines;
they're not running 7000rpm like a race car. :)

I do have temperature alarms though and have never cooked the engine. I
think that's a big one. I normally run at 1350rpm (6 1/2 knots, give or
take).

--
Gordon
*s/v Wanderlust*