Emergency back up rudder

edwmama

Feb 14, 2021, 11:50:13 PM2/14/21
to cal46
Hello fellow Cal 46 owners

I have the original Cal 46 hull 5 with

hailing port in Marina del Rey  CA

I looked into a transpac regada 2022 requirements

And one of these is a mandatory emergency rudder in case you lose the unprotected

Spade  rudder

I’ve looked at Scanmar system in northern call

Their bracket/ rudder system unfortunately is only 33% of the existing rudder

And all the internet research I’ve done indicate that it needs to be at least 50%

Of the existing rudder

Finco fabrication in Santa Ana can fabricate a 50% rudder (with foss rudder and Steve brown )

But I would need a fabricator to custom build brackets and can not find one to do it

Has anyone built a back up rudder? Short of using a Hydrovane or monitor?

Would appreciate any recommendations or tips or any ideas

How to go about doing this

Thanks in advance.  I’d really appreciate it

Edwin
S/V Lahlia
MdR CA
Cal Cruising 46