Re: [cal46] Digest for cal46@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

Andy Neilson

Dec 16, 2021, 12:26:47 PM12/16/21
to ca...@googlegroups.com
I replaced the dry stack exhaust with a water lift.  It connects up with the old hose that does out the transom. Been working great about 10 years.

And also getting the word out that I’m selling my 1976 Cal 2-46, Twisted Journey. Repower, new mast and sails, and electronics., etc…

Andy

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:31 AM <ca...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Edwin <edw...@gmail.com>: Dec 12 01:15PM -0800

Sent from my iPhone
Phil Rink <fis...@hotmail.com>: Dec 12 11:42PM

We upgraded when we repowered, but a standard exhaust elbow into a vetus lift muffler into a vetus water separator, and out the side of the hull right inside the engine room worked great.

The long exhaust hose out the transom can collapse and cause it’s own horrible problems, too.

Phil/Brightwater

________________________________
Dec 16, 2021, 1:13:00 PM12/16/21
to Andy Neilson, ca...@googlegroups.com
Wow

What a buy

Almost like a new boat

Good luck andy

Edwin

Sent from my iPhone

David Rucker

Dec 16, 2021, 7:05:07 PM12/16/21
to relaxin...@gmail.com, ca...@googlegroups.com
How much Andy. Where is boat? Link to listing.

Edwin

Dec 23, 2021, 10:34:43 AM12/23/21
to Andy Neilson, ca...@googlegroups.com
Hello Fellow Cal 46 owners

With regards to using the Perkins diesel 4.236

Engine (mine is a 1968 model ) to heat water

Has anyone tried to connect the engine of the Perkins 4.236

To the raritan water heater ? As most newer

Boats have pre installed

The engine runs at 180 Fahrenheit

And I believe the raritan electric water heater is set to 110 to 120 F or somewhere there a-bouts

I’ve search the internet and have not found good diagrams for this older Perkins as far as where to connect the inflow and the outflow

And I’m also concerned about galvanic corrosion if I connect brass valves to the engine block, not to mention someone
Possibly getting scalded with very hot water
Or a hose rupture which can cause a mess in the Aft engine room

Would appreciate any thought comments
Pictures advises  etc

The only way for me to heat my water at this time while on a mooring is to run the Genset
And turn it on (110V AC)

Thanks in advance

Edwin
Cal cruising 46 (hull 5. 1968)

Sent from my iPhone

Phil Rink

Dec 23, 2021, 10:46:54 AM12/23/21
to Edwin, Andy Neilson, ca...@googlegroups.com

Like you say, this is normal practice now. You might need to buy a new Raritan.

The key thing is to install a thermostatic mixing valve to moderate the temperature of the hot water supplied to the boat. It’s a common plumb/hardware store item that mixes hot and cold water to make the system safe.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/apollo-thermostatic-mixing-valve/1000176993

Sent from Mail for Windows

Dec 23, 2021, 11:02:06 AM12/23/21
to Phil Rink, Andy Neilson, ca...@googlegroups.com
Thx Phil

My raritan is set up for engine coolant heating

I’m fact the rubber hoses are already connected to it (inflow and outflow) when I got the boat. The previous owner just never connected it to the engine

I’ve looked at various 4.236 Perkins water heater connections on the web

It’s a very tight space and some of the newer models are slightly different enough to allow
Connecting fittings with valves

This older Perkins (1968 built) is a little different

I just need a diagram to know where to connect what. The raritan is clearly labeled
My problem is on the engine

Where do I connect ?

Thx

Edwin

Sent from my iPhone

Edwin

Aug 4, 2023, 6:55:39 PM8/4/23
to Andy Neilson, ca...@googlegroups.com
Hi cal 46 owners

Our yachts being hydraulic steering (like

Power steering in a car)

Has anyone ever used the

Raymarine EV 100 evolution

Wheel autopilot?

It’s rated for vessels 16,000 lbs

But our sailboats have hydraulic steering

And they’re feather light to steer

Any tips or feedbacks for backup

Autopilots?

I have a davit so hydro and or monitor windvanes

Won’t work

Edwin
Cal Cruising 46
S/V Lahlia
Marina del Rey CA

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 23, 2021, at 07:34, Edwin <edw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Fellow Cal 46 owners

Gord Lamb

Aug 7, 2023, 11:44:13 AM8/7/23
to Edwin, Andy Neilson, ca...@googlegroups.com
Hey Edwin,

I didn't know there were any Cal 46's with hydraulic steering.  My 2-46 is cable, and I thought that was standard; are the original 46's actually hydraulic?

In any case, if that's what you've got, the best choice I would think is a hydraulic autopilot steering pump (ie. guessing Raymarine type 2 or 3 depending on ram fluid capacity).  It's a relatively simple installation, though the drives are expensive.

I've had a wheel pilot on a tiny MacGregor 26X in the past and definitely wouldn't recommend it, personally.  I went through two drive motors over just 1,500NM, and that boat displaced less than 5,000lb loaded.

--
Gordon
s/v Wanderlust

Charles Stephens

Aug 8, 2023, 12:40:52 AM8/8/23
to Gord Lamb, Edwin, Andy Neilson, ca...@googlegroups.com
On Pacifica I have a Raymarine wheel pilot. Wanders like most but all in all I love it. Has had no trouble steering the cable steering system.

Charlie