Bypassing the tube in a tube exhaust

Edwin

Dec 12, 2021, 4:15:50 PM12/12/21
to cal46
Hi fellow sailors

Hull 5 original Cal Cruising 46
Came with Perkins diesel 4.236

Exhaust manifold consisted of seawater outflow going
Inside a vertical tube which itself has a tube for the dry exhaust
Up at the top the two separate out and combine up at the mixer

I was advised a better system would be to bypass the tube in a tube system and bring seawater outflow separately and connect it to mixer directly using a rubber hose

Has anyone done this?

Edwin
S/V Lahlia
Marina del Rey CA

PXL_20211013_170333348.JPG

Phil Rink

Dec 12, 2021, 6:42:58 PM12/12/21
to Edwin, cal46

We upgraded when we repowered, but a standard exhaust elbow into a vetus lift muffler into a vetus water separator, and out the side of the hull right inside the engine room worked great.

The long exhaust hose out the transom can collapse and cause it’s own horrible problems, too.

Phil/Brightwater

Sent from Mail for Windows

Dec 12, 2021, 7:45:49 PM12/12/21
to Phil Rink, cal46
Thx for that Phil
Something to consider

Speaking of repower

Did you use the same Perkins or a turbo Yanmar   And how did they take the engine out?  Cut the deck ?

I have a V drive since my Perkins sits in the back

Edwin

Sent from my iPhone