Fwd: Backstay chainplate

NICHOLAS SHAW

Apr 4, 2021, 8:27:34 PM4/4/21
to cal46

> Hi
> I’m planning on replacing my backstay chainplate. I’ll be doing it without taking down the rig and it’d be nice to have the new one ready to go before removing the old. Does anyone have a template? I’m sure I can figure it out but it’s just another minor PITA creating a template without pulling the old chainplate first.
> Thanks
> Nick
>
> Sent from my iPad

Phil Rink

Apr 4, 2021, 8:44:03 PM4/4/21
to NICHOLAS SHAW, cal46

Don’t have a template, but there’s a company in WA now doing this stuff out of Titanium. No stress corrosion cracking, and not much more expensive.

http://www.alliedtitanium.com/

If you don’t use them, make sure to use 316SS.

Cheers,

Phil

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

NICHOLAS SHAW

Apr 5, 2021, 8:13:13 PM4/5/21
to Edwin, cal46
I just pulled out the chain plate. I’ll get a new one made and mean time I’ll be repairing the rotten deck core around where it penetrates the deck. Yikes I hope it doesn’t go too far I’m about 6” out now and still rotten. There’s moisture in much of that deck using a meter and I’m in the process (slow) of drying it out with moderate success so far.
Nick

Sent from my iPhone