Leaks on dulce sueno of NICK SHAW

edwmama

May 12, 2014, 2:22:39 AM5/12/14
to ca...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,
I have a 1973 Cal 2-46 "Dulce Sueno" that I purchased in Mazatlan in the fall. I finally have her home on Vancouver Island. I have had a fair bit of work done on the way to getting her back.
One thing I had addressed was the rudder post and gland area. You can see in the first two pictures what was (and was apparently leaking ) and the final picture is what the yard did for me.
The problem is I am still taking in some water in bouncy seas to the point where it finds its' way to the carpet in my aft cabin; not very satisfactory especially for my wife!
Does anyone have a photo or a detailed description of what this area should look like? Is there supposed to be packing in the fitting that I can tighten up like a stuffing box?
Thanks for your advise.
Nick

[cid:image0...@01CF6D66.210521F0]
Nicholas Shaw DVM
Shaw Pet & Equine Hospitals
1782 Stelly's Cross Rd
Saanichton, BC
Canada
V8M 1S8
ph: 250-652-4312
Fax:250-652-4338

Barts

May 12, 2014, 1:48:53 PM5/12/14
to ca...@googlegroups.com
I'm not seeing any pictures, Nicholas.

On Monday, May 12, 2014 2:22:39 AM UTC-4, edwmama wrote:
Hi there,
I have a 1973 Cal 2-46 "Dulce Sueno" that I purchased in Mazatlan in the fall. I finally have her home on Vancouver Island. I have had a fair bit of work done on the way to getting her back.
One thing I had addressed was the rudder post and gland area. You can see in the first two pictures what was (and  was apparently leaking ) and the final picture is what the yard did for me.
The problem is I am still taking in  some water in bouncy seas to the  point where it finds its' way to the carpet in my aft cabin; not very satisfactory especially for my wife!
Does anyone have a photo or a detailed description of what this area should look like? Is there supposed to be packing in the fitting that I can tighten up like a stuffing box?
Thanks for your advise.
Nick

[cid:image001.png@01CF6D66.210521F0]

chstephens99

redst...@aol.com

Jan 26, 2015, 3:15:23 PM1/26/15
to chstephens99, ca...@googlegroups.com
Yes there should be a regular packing gland like mine has.

Ernie

nshawdvm

Jan 27, 2015, 9:28:00 PM1/27/15
to ca...@googlegroups.com
Hi there
This is a thread from last spring when I first joined the group. I do have the problem resolved. When I bought the boat it was a bit of a disaster in the area of the rudder gland. I had that fixed when the boat was hauled but it continued to leak. I later discovered the problem was a missing grease nipple!  It's fixed now and not leaking. I'll try to attach the before and after photos.
Nick
DSC07996.jpg
P1210980.jpg

Phil Rink

Jan 27, 2015, 10:06:10 PM1/27/15
to nshawdvm, ca...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Nick.

You may want to check the eyebolts for crevice corrosion.

Phil
svbrightwater.wordpress.com

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 18:28:00 -0800
From: nsha...@shaw.ca
To: ca...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cal46] Re: Leaks on dulce sueno of NICK SHAW

David Oosthuizen

Jan 28, 2015, 1:26:01 PM1/28/15
to Phil Rink, nshawdvm, ca...@googlegroups.com
I too had a grease nipple break off.  Had to grind down a bit and epoxy a new one in.
A guy in the yard suggested that packing grease into the tube might suppress the leaking through gland.  Haven't fully tested.
David

NICHOLAS SHAW

Jan 28, 2015, 2:14:28 PM1/28/15
to David Oosthuizen, Phil Rink, ca...@googlegroups.com
Out if curiosity does anyone know how many grease fittings should there be on the rudder?

Sent from my iPhone

David Oosthuizen

Jan 28, 2015, 2:19:52 PM1/28/15
to NICHOLAS SHAW, Phil Rink, ca...@googlegroups.com
The only grease nipple I remember on the rudder tube is the one at the top (starboard).  Not on boat presently.

Geoff Lerner

Jan 28, 2015, 3:08:27 PM1/28/15
to ca...@googlegroups.com, nsha...@shaw.ca, fis...@hotmail.com
Friends,   in days gone by,  one could purchase "water pump" grease.   This was an especially thick mass high in parafinic waxes (hence the snotty appearance).   Such grease was used to retard water through packings on the water pump's shaft.    Typically, there was a brass grease cup that was tightened down every X hours of run time.   The is also a grease fitting at the original shaft gland.  The grease fitting on the gland of the rudder post & propr shaft are meant to serve the same purpose - but this approach is badly outdated.   Grease retards water inflow and helps prevent the flax from drying out when the flax is well above WL (the boat is at calm anchor).

We have available now synthetic packing materials - Gortex.   In 2005 we had our Cal 46 out for R&R that included shaft extraction.   We installed new packings of Gortex (expensive) and have never found them to leak even after dry storage for 7 months - never needed to tighten the shaft gland and always it runs cool.

To the point about rudder shaft gland:  After 1 year with the Gortex at the prop shaft and always seeing some salt formation at the rudder post's gland,  I replaced the flax packing there with Gortex.   Since 2007, we banged around a few thousand miles and have no leaks rudder gland.   We don't give it a thought.

Maybe one should forget the antique grease nipples and buy some Gortex?  Beside, the thick water pump grease is not commonly available, so injecting grease will prove ineffective.

geoff
Adagio Cal 2-46

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cal46.

chstephens99

Aug 27, 2018, 12:55:31 AM8/27/18
to cal46
I am going to have to replace the cutlass bearing on Pacifica. I am wondering if it is possible to pull the prop shaft with out rudder removable.
Also there is a steady bearing ahead of the stuffing box that is doing nothing as the thing has fallen apart. Has anyone changed that bearing?
Any one replaced the cutlass?
Charlie

chstephens99

Sep 26, 2019, 9:46:41 AM9/26/19
to cal46
This past spring I replaced the shaft and it was necessary to drop the rudder.