Re: New Song - Stress Test 64

BobF

Oct 18, 2016, 12:14:10 PM10/18/16
On 10/18/2016 10:42 AM, Glennbo wrote:
> My first sixty four bit song! I really don't have enough big sampled
> instruments to even come close to running my four gig machine out of
> memory, so for this song, I loaded up the fattest jazz drum kit I
> could and did crazy stuff like turn on three distances of room mics.
> Then I loaded up my largest grand piano plus an upright grand piano.
>
> To finish it up, I played real 5-String bass, and my semi-hollow blue
> Oscar Schmidt jazz guitar with the wound G-String to keep it jazzy.
>
> I call this one "Stress Test 64". :-)
>
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=10481&songID=13468444

That sounds waaaaaay betterer than your 32 bit songs!!

BobF

Oct 18, 2016, 4:11:54 PM10/18/16
On 10/18/2016 1:31 PM, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:nu5hnt$ju0$1...@dont-email.me the killer robot BobF
> <nos...@spam.can> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
> and pressed these buttons...
> Well it should. It uses more memory than any other song I've ever done! ;)
>
> Some particulars about this project.
>
> It used a whopping 2281MB of my 4GB RAM, leaving 807MB free for other BIG
> sampled instruments that I don't have. Guess I need to buy some now. <g>
>
> Also, I used Rea plugins for EQ, compressor, and multiband compressor,
> replacing my normal 32 bit DX plugins, Timeworks EQ, CompressorX, and
> Sonitus Multiband. In place of my normal db-Audio mastering limiter, I
> used the W1 limiter by George Yohng, which has been compared sonically
> to the Waves L1. It is transparent and brickwalls like my old db-Audio.
>
> What I'm liking about the Rea plugs that I am sort of forced to use if
> I'm going to record 64 bit projects, and can't use my Timeworks plugins.
>
> The ReaComp has controls in it's detection circuit that let you set an
> upper and lower frequency, which I found to be extremely useful on the
> guitar track I recorded. The higher frequency notes were a lot louder
> than the lower frequency ones, so I set the detection to react only
> when the frequency was above 3000Hz. This made it so no compression was
> happening on lower notes, but kicked in the higher I went up the neck.
>
> The ReaEQ has some things I like better than Timeworks EQ, but I miss
> the spectrum display from Timeworks. I could really read that and see
> what needed fixing, and the display in ReaEQ is OK, but I' going to
> have to get used to how to see what's going on with it. Something I
> really DO like a LOT about it, is that I can add an infinite number
> of bands to it, rather than being a fixed number like Timeworks.
>
> ReaXcomp is a very usable multiband limiter, and like ReaEQ allows you
> to add as many bands as you like. It's functionally the same as the
> Sonitus Multiband, but the display and controls are different which
> will take me a cool minute to get used to.
>
> I'm going to try and use more of the native Rea plugs in place of my
> usual picks, as they seem to be very capable, and even have a few new
> tricks up their sleeve that my older plugins don't have.

I REALLY like SONAR's PC EQ. It wish it was a POVst though.

John Braner

Oct 19, 2016, 4:59:02 AM10/19/16
On 18/10/2016 16:42, Glennbo wrote:
> My first sixty four bit song! I really don't have enough big sampled
> instruments to even come close to running my four gig machine out of
> memory, so for this song, I loaded up the fattest jazz drum kit I
> could and did crazy stuff like turn on three distances of room mics.
> Then I loaded up my largest grand piano plus an upright grand piano.
>
> To finish it up, I played real 5-String bass, and my semi-hollow blue
> Oscar Schmidt jazz guitar with the wound G-String to keep it jazzy.
>
> I call this one "Stress Test 64". :-)
>
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=10481&songID=13468444

I like the song.

64 bit is the way to go - it may not sound *twice* as good, but the fact that you can load bigger
drum kits and instruments is going to help ;-)

Also - there is something to be said for all of us to be forced in to using different eqs and
compressors (and saturators etc) sometimes. That can make things sound different, and maybe even
*better* too ;-)

Back to the song - it does have some nice room in between instruments, and sounds really good. I'm
sure this could be accomplished in 32 bit though ;-)

--
===========
John Braner

http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner2
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

Max

Oct 19, 2016, 2:30:33 PM10/19/16
Nice new photo of you on soundclick! Looks like retirement is making your
hair stand on end LOL!! Just kidding.
Glad you finally got you 64 bit setup working! Very odd song sounds 32bit
better (:

Max Arwood

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHe...@cox.net> wrote in message

> My first sixty four bit song! I really don't have enough big sampled
> instruments to even come close to running my four gig machine out of
> memory, so for this song, I loaded up the fattest jazz drum kit I
> could and did crazy stuff like turn on three distances of room mics.
> Then I loaded up my largest grand piano plus an upright grand piano.
>
> To finish it up, I played real 5-String bass, and my semi-hollow blue
> Oscar Schmidt jazz guitar with the wound G-String to keep it jazzy.
>
> I call this one "Stress Test 64". :-)
>
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=10481&songID=13468444
>
> --
> Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
> ________ __
> / ____/ /__ ____ ____ / /_ ____
> / / __/ / _ \/ __ \/ __ \/ __ \/ __ \
> / /_/ / / __/ / / / / / / /_/ / /_/ /
> \____/_/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_.___/\____/
> Glennbo http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
> Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
> Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/ThePseudonyms

polymod

Oct 20, 2016, 11:45:58 AM10/20/16

"Glennbo" wrote in message

My first sixty four bit song! I really don't have enough big sampled
instruments to even come close to running my four gig machine out of
memory, so for this song, I loaded up the fattest jazz drum kit I
could and did crazy stuff like turn on three distances of room mics.
Then I loaded up my largest grand piano plus an upright grand piano.

To finish it up, I played real 5-String bass, and my semi-hollow blue
Oscar Schmidt jazz guitar with the wound G-String to keep it jazzy.

I call this one "Stress Test 64". :-)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=10481&songID=13468444

Sounds great bro....glad you got everything up and running.

And thanks again for the newsgroup reader suggestion.!

Poly

polymod

Oct 20, 2016, 1:47:09 PM10/20/16

"Glennbo" wrote in message

In news:nuaor1$g0l$1...@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
<pol...@optonline.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

Thanks Poly! This song proved to me that I can now throw as many bleed
channels or room mics on for any drum kit I currently have. I put more of
that stuff on this one that I would have in a real world scenaro, but I was
trying to stress the system out. Just the jazz kit with a couple layers of
room mics and a sampled grand piano would have run me out of memory before.

Glad to see you got the newsgroups configured and working. It's funny
because before you emailed me this morning, I had just done a lookup to see
when your last post was, which was last Sunday, because I though you might
have crashed your new system or something and were busy trying to get it
working again. Glad it wasn't that! :-)

Me too!!!

Poly