Re: New Song - Elementary

Michael

Dec 26, 2016, 10:12:58 PM12/26/16
Glennbo <vdrumsYourHe...@cox.net> wrote in
news:XnsA6EACA17EB0AABr...@213.239.209.88:

> A new song using pretty much everything that came with the cheepo
> version of Komplete called "Elements" that I got for Christmas. There
> are 8 tracks.
>
> 1. Kontakt 5 Abbey Roads 60s Drums "Vintage"
> 2. Kontakt 5 Vienna Symphony Orchestra Strings
> 3. Kontakt 5 Vienna Symphony Orchestra Brass
> 4. Reaktor 5 "Report the Weather" (Sounds like Weather Report)
> 5. Kontakt 5 "Kora" (West African stringed instrument)
> 6. Kontakt 5 Hammond C3/Leslie (Keith Emerson sounding organ)
> 7. Guitar Rig "AC Box" Gibson L6S 6-String (real guitar)
> 8. Guitar Rig "Bass Pro" Gretsch Jet bass (real bass)
>
> I call it "Elementary" at:
>
> http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13504528

So everything here but the guitars (bass included) is Kontakt's
instruments?

The C3/Leslie voicing is *amazing*. The brass, maybe not so much...
it's good but not up to the organ's standard. :-)

BTW, I love that the tune's part of a playlist: I'm listening to your
other tunes as I write, and it makes the writing-ad-lib flow way better.
So, I think what I need you to do for me is put together some stuff that
will help me not make 20 typos per 100 words. :-)

John Braner

Dec 27, 2016, 6:05:58 AM12/27/16
On 27/12/2016 01:50, Glennbo wrote:
> A new song using pretty much everything that came with the cheepo version
> of Komplete called "Elements" that I got for Christmas. There are 8 tracks.
>
> 1. Kontakt 5 Abbey Roads 60s Drums "Vintage"
> 2. Kontakt 5 Vienna Symphony Orchestra Strings
> 3. Kontakt 5 Vienna Symphony Orchestra Brass
> 4. Reaktor 5 "Report the Weather" (Sounds like Weather Report)
> 5. Kontakt 5 "Kora" (West African stringed instrument)
> 6. Kontakt 5 Hammond C3/Leslie (Keith Emerson sounding organ)
> 7. Guitar Rig "AC Box" Gibson L6S 6-String (real guitar)
> 8. Guitar Rig "Bass Pro" Gretsch Jet bass (real bass)
>
> I call it "Elementary" at:
>
> http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13504528

Sounds good!

I think the brass is just thee "because it can", and I'm never crazy about the hammond/leslie sound
that dances constantly from L to R to L - but the sounds are a good bunch of sounds to work with.

--
===========
John Braner

http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner2
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

BobF

Dec 27, 2016, 9:33:29 AM12/27/16
On 12/26/2016 7:50 PM, Glennbo wrote:
> A new song using pretty much everything that came with the cheepo version
> of Komplete called "Elements" that I got for Christmas. There are 8 tracks.
>
> 1. Kontakt 5 Abbey Roads 60s Drums "Vintage"
> 2. Kontakt 5 Vienna Symphony Orchestra Strings
> 3. Kontakt 5 Vienna Symphony Orchestra Brass
> 4. Reaktor 5 "Report the Weather" (Sounds like Weather Report)
> 5. Kontakt 5 "Kora" (West African stringed instrument)
> 6. Kontakt 5 Hammond C3/Leslie (Keith Emerson sounding organ)
> 7. Guitar Rig "AC Box" Gibson L6S 6-String (real guitar)
> 8. Guitar Rig "Bass Pro" Gretsch Jet bass (real bass)
>
> I call it "Elementary" at:
>
> http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13504528

Cool tune. That's one of my favorite of yours

BobF

Dec 27, 2016, 5:12:01 PM12/27/16
On 12/27/2016 12:33 PM, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o3tu0v$iuk$1...@dont-email.me the killer robot BobF
> <nos...@spam.can> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
> and pressed these buttons...
> Thanks Bob! :-)
>
> I recorded both the bass and guitar direct, with no effects, and then used
> Guitar Rig alone for the amp and effects, just to see how it would sound.
> I'm pretty impressed with it overall, and the funny thing of it is, when I
> was evaluating it with my guitar, I played around with the control they
> amazingly call "Air", on the speaker model. Anyway, after tweaking it to
> what sounded good to my ears, at one point I actually was fooled into
> thinking that I had my Orange Micro Terror and Gretsch speaker cab turned
> on. I thought "did I turn that stuff on to compare with and forgot to turn
> it back off?". I looked at the Orange amp and it was off, and I thought,
> "they've done a bang up job on re-creating the air sound of a speaker cab".

Sims for guitar have come a long way in the last few years.

John Braner

Dec 28, 2016, 7:18:37 AM12/28/16
On 27/12/2016 18:27, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o3thul$77n$1...@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
> <m...@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
> and pressed these buttons...
>
> Thanks John! :-)
>
> I'm guessing that Sonar has a "width" control that works in conjunction
> with the pan control. I say guessing, coz it didn't have it in my last
> version, "Sonar 5". Anyway, I frequently will use the width control to
> make things, like the cymbal panning on most of my Toontrack drum kits for
> instance, less hard panned stereo L/R. I've used it on the Leslie of the B4
> Organ as well, but the C3 on this song was in Kontakt with all the other
> Kontakt instruments, and using width would have affected all of them too.

Yeah - there is a plugin called "channel tools" which can do stereo width. I use the "VB3" hammond,
so I'd just adjust width on the instrument itself. Are you sure the Kontakt instrument doesn't have
a setting for this?

BobF

Dec 28, 2016, 12:41:29 PM12/28/16
On 12/28/2016 10:08 AM, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o40ait$m9a$1...@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
> I checked it out this morning, and doing within Kontakt is not possible,
> but I could probably put the C3 on it's own send and then use the native
> width control that's right on every channel strip in Reaper. I haven't yet
> messed with using multi-outs on Kontakt, but it may be limited since I'm
> using the free *player* version that comes with the ultra cheep "Elements"
> version of Komplete.

Are you able to use multiple instances of the player? One instance on a
separate track with only the B3 might work too

BobF

Dec 28, 2016, 12:42:34 PM12/28/16
On 12/28/2016 10:14 AM, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o3uosn$rje$1...@dont-email.me the killer robot BobF
> Well I am finally impressed with them. The sound of paper cones flapping in
> the air and picked up by a microphone was something they never did worth a
> flip, but they have finally made it over that hurdle. In the past, modeled
> guitar amp/speaker sims always had a sterile sound that was too perfect.

It's impressive that you can hear the diff at your age <gg>

BobF

Dec 28, 2016, 3:53:51 PM12/28/16
On 12/28/2016 2:06 PM, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o40tde$k33$1...@dont-email.me the killer robot BobF
> <nos...@spam.can> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
> Yeah, I can definitely do that. On this first song I did with Elements, I
> wanted to try using one instance of Kontakt just to see how that worked. It
> was a breeze lacing up the MIDI for the five tracks using Kontakt, but I
> haven't yet delved into lacing up and assigning multiple audio outs. It
> looks like I can do as many as 64 audio outs, but I'm not sure how you
> would get more than 16 unique MIDI channels into it for that.

Multiple controllers via multiple MIDI ports?

Prolly most useful for triggering multiple synths with the same MIDI
driving multi out channels.

BobF

Dec 28, 2016, 4:03:49 PM12/28/16
On 12/28/2016 2:13 PM, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o40tfg$k33$2...@dont-email.me the killer robot BobF
> My hearing is still pretty good for a guy who played in LOUD live bands for
> twenty plus years. <g>

I've always HATED the sound of live music.

BobF

Dec 28, 2016, 4:55:29 PM12/28/16
On 12/28/2016 3:36 PM, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o4198r$v7u$2...@dont-email.me the killer robot BobF
> I've always played live with guys who are top notch studio players, and we
> always had top notch gear on stage so it was more like listening to a BIG
> and LOUD set of studio monitors. The one and only place we ever played
> that didn't have that quality of sound was a mansion that had marble walls
> in a huge hall. I could hear my kick drum delayed by a half second louder
> coming off the opposing wall than I could hear it from my bass drum. That
> was because it was being amplified through a very nice pile of JBL
> speakers, powered by a rack full of Crown amplifiers. :-)

You guys were obviously better set up than the few concerts I attended

BobF

Dec 28, 2016, 5:27:34 PM12/28/16
On 12/28/2016 4:22 PM, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o41c9m$aoq$1...@dont-email.me the killer robot BobF
> What we used were front loaded speakers, rather than the normal long
> throw, horn style cabinets. We had four JBL Cabaret cabinets, and two
> JBL Cabaret sub woofer cabinets. All front loaded, which gives the
> speakers more cabinet space for a richer fuller sound, but with less
> projection than the horn style cabinets. These are similar to ours,
> except we had two of the top cabinets sitting on each sub woofer.
>
> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=48443&stc=1&d=1289098657
>

> The long throw style cabinets look similar to these. They get farther
> out to a crowd, but sound nasaly and piercing.
>
> http://thumbs3.picclick.com/d/w1600/pict/310177942002_/JBL-4560-Bass-Bin-Speaker-Plans.jpg

If Kansas and Bob Seger would've used your rig I prolly wouldn't have
quit going to concerts

John Braner

Dec 31, 2016, 5:20:01 AM12/31/16
On 28/12/2016 21:03, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o418m4$te7$1...@dont-email.me the killer robot BobF
> I have a pair of matching Delta AP2496 cards in my DAW, each with their own
> 16 channel MIDI in/out, so I can receive up to 32 MIDI channels, but once
> they get recorded, they will be numbered 1-16, so I still not sure about
> how Kontakt can see more than 16 that are coming from recorded midi tracks.
>
> When I recorded my song using separate MIDI tracks in Reaper, I used a bus
> for each track, and channelized what got sent to the host track for
> Kontakt. If I had two tracks both sending on the same MIDI channel, they
> would have both played the same instrument sound. Not like I'm ever going
> to even use 16 MIDI parts going to one instance of Kontakt though, so I
> won't lose any sleep over how they do it. ;)

I wasn't sure if "Player" had multi outputs - but since it does, that's the way to go.
As you've said, you'll be hard pressed to need >16 parts for one instance of Kontakt - and even if
you do, you could "double up" some parts ;-)

In SONAR, you set up a track template once - then you can load this and all the MIDI tracks and
outputs etc are set up. I'm sure reaper will have a way to do this (or set up a template project
with Kontakt loaded?)

Of course the other option is to bounce your parts individually - to audio tracks. Then you can put
seperate FX (incl wideners etc) on the individual tracks.

John Braner

Jan 2, 2017, 7:15:31 AM1/2/17
On 31/12/2016 14:54, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o480og$a5k$1...@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
> <m...@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
> I've got three versions of Kontakt showing up. An 8 channel, 16, channel,
> and 64 channel. I put the 8 channel one into my "favorites" plugin folder.
>
>> In SONAR, you set up a track template once - then you can load this
>> and all the MIDI tracks and outputs etc are set up. I'm sure reaper
>> will have a way to do this (or set up a template project with Kontakt
>> loaded?)
>
> Yup, I have a bunch of templates for multi-output plugins, like Superior
> Drummer, Phenome, Proteus VX, ect. I'll get around to setting one up for
> Kontakt, and probably Reaktor too, although it's less likely that I would
> use multiple outs from Reaktor.
>
>> Of course the other option is to bounce your parts individually - to
>> audio tracks. Then you can put seperate FX (incl wideners etc) on the
>> individual tracks.
>
> The one and only thing I ever bounce to audio tracks is the short midi
> clips from Superior Drummer that I use for my metronome. I'll pick a pre
> made groove that's in the vein of what I'm trying to record, and then
> bounce that to an audio clip, so when I record the real drums, Superior is
> not busy playing my scratch track. Other than that, I try to stay away from
> ever freezing or bouncing to audio since my machine has no problem keeping
> it all virtual. :-)
>

>since my machine has no problem keeping it all virtual.
I like to bounce - so that you don't have to worry about the synth being loaded with the right
sounds etc.

I also bounce my guitar amp tracks - because the CPU dies with too many of them ;-)

John Braner

Jan 3, 2017, 9:11:26 AM1/3/17
On 02/01/2017 14:51, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o4dg92$qsf$1...@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
> <m...@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
> and pressed these buttons...

/snip

>> >since my machine has no problem keeping it all virtual.
>>
>> I like to bounce - so that you don't have to worry about the synth
>> being loaded with the right sounds etc.
>
> What synth do you use that doesn't load the correct sounds? Every softsynth

No - I mean if you load the song 4 years from now, and you don't have the same version of synth
VSTi, or whatever. It's just for "safety" ;-)

> I have, which is not a huge number, load up the proper sounds or samples
> that they were saved with in the song. Superior Drummer, Phenome, Vsampler,
> Proteus VX, FM7, B4 Organ, Arturia Minimoog, and a few others I use always
> load up the sound they had loaded when I save the song. Same with
> convolution reverbs and whatever impulses I might have had selected.
>
>> I also bounce my guitar amp tracks - because the CPU dies with too
>> many of them ;-)
>
> If the CPU is taking a hit, that would be when I would freeze. I used to do
> it with Sonar, but I had a Core 2 Duo then (it's now a TV computer), but
> since I built a Core i5 machine several years ago, and then started using
> Reaper, I haven't needed to freeze any tracks. How many virtual guitar
> amps does it take before the CPU starts feeling bogged down? I used two on

My CPU starts to bog down after 6 or 7 guitar parts. I like to use a lot of guitar parts ;-)

I just "freeze" the tracks in SONAR, then I can unfreeze one at a time to make changes.