SONG: "Brace position"

John Braner

Jan 3, 2017, 9:05:39 AM1/3/17

I've got a new song out. It's called "Brace Position" - you can check it out
here:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13508450

This one is a little "moody", but it is the product of cold winter evenings and the uncertainty of
entering "uncharted territory" in 2017 ;-)

This features some U-he Diva, which is my new favourite analog synth emulation,
plus all the regulars:
real (strat and tele) guitars (through Scuffham amp sims)
Trilian bass
Superior drums
etc

As usual, let me know what you think...

--
===========
John Braner

http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner2
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

John Braner

Jan 4, 2017, 4:53:08 AM1/4/17
On 03/01/2017 22:55, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o4gb3j$f7r$1...@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
> <m...@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
> and pressed these buttons...
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a new song out. It's called "Brace Position" - you can check
>> it out here:
>> http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13508450
>>
>> This one is a little "moody", but it is the product of cold winter
>> evenings and the uncertainty of entering "uncharted territory" in 2017
>> ;-)
>>
>> This features some U-he Diva, which is my new favourite analog synth
>> emulation, plus all the regulars:
>> real (strat and tele) guitars (through Scuffham amp sims)
>> Trilian bass
>> Superior drums
>> etc
>>

>> As usual, let me know what you think...
>
> Nice tones. What snare and from which library are you using?

Thanks a lot for listening G'bo. It's the Metal Machinery kit, and I think the snare is the Black
Beauty, or Supraphonic (these are the ones I always use).
This was the first time I tried a preset - and bouncing through the Superior mixer. I would never
process the drums this much - but I wanted to try the "big drums" sound ;-)
Then I added everythign else on top of it - and let it take it's own course ;-)

John Braner

Jan 5, 2017, 5:08:30 AM1/5/17
On 05/01/2017 01:37, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o4igm3$k75$1...@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
> <m...@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
> and pressed these buttons...

>>> Nice tones. What snare and from which library are you using?
>>>

>> Thanks a lot for listening G'bo. It's the Metal Machinery kit, and I
>> think the snare is the Black Beauty, or Supraphonic (these are the
>> ones I always use). This was the first time I tried a preset - and
>> bouncing through the Superior mixer. I would never process the drums
>> this much - but I wanted to try the "big drums" sound ;-) Then I added
>> everythign else on top of it - and let it take it's own course ;-)
>
> Ah, I knew I didn't recognize that snare. I'd have used it too, if I had
> it, but Metal Machinery is an expansion pack I don't have. Might have to
> get it at some point in the future, but even at the sale price it's on
> right now, it's more than I can go. Most of my new software and toys are in
> the sub-fifty-dollar range for a while. Komplete Elements (OLD software)
> for Christmas was $49 and Lexicon MPX Native Reverb for birthday is $39.
>
> Both together were $19 less than the sale price for Metal Machinery. :/

I also forgot to mention - it's a preset, and there is a stacked sound in with the snare (they can
add samples in with presets. It's all mysterious, and end users certainly can't do it)
There is a Ludwig Black Beauty and/or Supraphonic in a lot of the kits though - so you don'y have to
get Metal Machinery to use them.
Also - you can look at the EZX kits. They're made for EZDrummer, but they work fine in Superior 2.
I think they're 16 bit rather than 24, and they're a little bit processed (where the SDX kits are
raw drum sounds) - but they still sound good.

The EZX equivalent for Metal Machinery is this one
https://www.toontrack.com/product/metal-machine-ezx/

but again, lots of other ones have these Ludwig snares too.

You can sometimes pick up EZX kits pretty cheap.

John Braner

Jan 5, 2017, 4:51:39 PM1/5/17
On 05/01/2017 18:51, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o4l5ut$p5k$1...@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
> My primary kit is an "all X-Drums" kit that I made using the 1979 Ludwig
> samples from NY Studios Vol. 3, but the snare I use is a Ludwig Black
> Beauty from NY Studios Vol. 2. "Hit Factory". I used that snare because I
> absolutely hated the Ludwig Black Beauty snare in NY Studios Vol. 3.
>
> The tuning, dampening, and how the drum was hit makes tons of difference.
>
> In NY Studios Vol 3. the Ludwig Black Beauty sounds like a cardboard box.
> In NY Studios Vol 2. "Hit Factory" the Ludwig Black Beauty sounds just like
> the real Black Beauty snare I used for years on this set of Ludwig drums.
>
> http://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/97/imgpages/5/4/45205_783481.jpg
>

>> Also - you can look at the EZX kits. They're made for EZDrummer, but
>> they work fine in Superior 2. I think they're 16 bit rather than 24,
>> and they're a little bit processed (where the SDX kits are raw drum
>> sounds) - but they still sound good.
>>
>> The EZX equivalent for Metal Machinery is this one
>> https://www.toontrack.com/product/metal-machine-ezx/
>>
>> but again, lots of other ones have these Ludwig snares too.
>>
>> You can sometimes pick up EZX kits pretty cheap.
>
> The EZX samples are too processed for me. I have EZD and some expansion
> packs, but I didn't install them when I recently did a fresh install of
> Windows 7-64 bit. I installed all of the drum kits from, Superior 1, and
> installed Superior 2 along with three SDX expansion packs, but I left all
> the EZ-Drummer and EZX stuff off of my machine, because I never used it.
>
> That big Ludwig drum kit I linked to above used to be the drums I had in an
> isolation booth in my old tape based studio. I used a total of 13 mics on
> it for recording. As a result, Superior Drummer 1 and 2 both feel right at
> home to me, as if I had a real set of drums with a lot of mics on them, and
> that's why the pre-processed sounds of the EZX kits bug me a bit.
>
> In 2006 I bought EZ-Drummer and a couple expansion packs for it, but didn't
> use it a year before switching to Superor 1, and then later Superior 2.

Ahh OK.
I understand that all the SDX's are recorded differently (and by different people) but I still
always go for a Black Beauty or Supraphonic - first. I know nothing about the "real" drums - but I
always liek the sound of these... ;-)

I agree completely about EZX's - I was just thinking about price.

Anyway - it sounds like you've already got a Black Beauty that you like. The difference in the Metal
Machinery one may also be all the FX that are on the preset I used. I've never used a preset before
- and usually use all my own FX. I wanted to try a "big" sound - and went for a preset this time -
so it has compressors, transient shapers, a little eq here and there, and the extra snare layer that
I mentioned. I pretty much just left everything the way it is, and bounced through the Superior
mixer - which I also never normally do.

John Braner

Jan 6, 2017, 5:09:42 AM1/6/17
On 06/01/2017 03:09, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:o4mf5b$ptu$1...@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
> Well, you know enough about drums to know what a couple of the great
> snares are. Both of those Ludwig snares are among the best of the best.
>
> I lucked out and got mine for no extra cost with that big set of drums.
> Wish I still had it now, coz to buy a new one just like it is $699.00!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Ludwig-Black-Beauty-Snare-Drum/dp/B000A6D87G/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1483671555&sr=1-4&keywords=Ludwig+black+Beauty+Snare+Drum
>
>> I agree completely about EZX's - I was just thinking about price.
>>
>> Anyway - it sounds like you've already got a Black Beauty that you
>> like. The difference in the Metal Machinery one may also be all the FX
>> that are on the preset I used. I've never used a preset before - and
>> usually use all my own FX. I wanted to try a "big" sound - and went
>> for a preset this time - so it has compressors, transient shapers, a
>> little eq here and there, and the extra snare layer that I mentioned.
>> I pretty much just left everything the way it is, and bounced through
>> the Superior mixer - which I also never normally do.
>
> It was mostly that the snare you used on your new song caught my ear, and
> I was pretty sure (now confirmed) that it was one I didn't have. Even if
> it didn't have the preset stuff going on, it is still tuned up where I like
> my snare drums to sit, pitch wise, and dampened such that it still has some
> ring, but not too much. That's what a lot of the other Black Beauty and
> Supraphonic samples (like the ones from NY Studios 3) lack. The *only*
> snare from NY Studios 3 that I can even stand is the Nir Z high tuned.
>
> All the rest of them sound like flappy crappy cardboard boxes IMHO. ;)

Oh well, keep your eyes open for Metal Machinery then - in case it ever goes on "blowout" or
"clearance" - or even second hand at KVR (?)

It's not just for metal at all - and it's my second favourite SDX (Progressive Foundry is first). It
also has another tama snare that I like ;-)