Little Guitar Test

Glennbo

Feb 10, 2023, 2:50:17 PM2/10/23
I decided to both record a test with my new 3/4 scale Ibanez and also see if I could replicate the sound of a clean amp tone I had setup in the standalone version of Guitarix, but using the Guitarix plugins. I like the sound of the Guitarix plugins as a virtual amp better than what I was getting out of Guitar Rig or ToneLib.

Anyway, this is quick test using the new short guitar, with me sloppily playing different stuff back to back, to see what it sounds like.

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=1418957&content=songs&view=newest

This is a screen grab of the virtual amp I made using Guitarix plugins.

https://www.soundclick.com/member/default.cfm?memberID=45205&content=photos

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __

Glennbo

Feb 11, 2023, 5:54:05 PM2/11/23
On 2/10/23 13:50, Glennbo wrote:

> Anyway, this is quick test using the new short guitar, with me sloppily playing different stuff back to back, to see what it sounds like.
>
> https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=1418957&content=songs&view=newest

I added a clip of the unprocessed guitar, plugged straight into my audio interface that will play first, and then followed by the same guitar track played through the Guitarix virtual amp.

polymod

Feb 13, 2023, 10:49:06 AM2/13/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:ts675n$14psb$1...@dont-email.me...

I decided to both record a test with my new 3/4 scale Ibanez and also see if
I could replicate the sound of a clean amp tone I had setup in the
standalone version of Guitarix, but using the Guitarix plugins. I like the
sound of the Guitarix plugins as a virtual amp better than what I was
getting out of Guitar Rig or ToneLib.

Anyway, this is quick test using the new short guitar, with me sloppily
playing different stuff back to back, to see what it sounds like.

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=1418957&content=songs&view=newest

This is a screen grab of the virtual amp I made using Guitarix plugins.

https://www.soundclick.com/member/default.cfm?memberID=45205&content=photos

Sounds good! Just like an amp should :-)

As far as Guitar Rig goes, I love it (and so do the guitar players that come
over)!

IMHO the key with GR is ditching their "Control Room" and adding an
instance of Reflektor where I can browse thru hundreds upon hundreds of IRs
at my disposal including some I made from my own amp. With so many choices
of mics and the placement/positioning of mics, the difference is night and
day.

Poly

John Braner

Feb 13, 2023, 11:37:29 AM2/13/23
On 10/02/2023 19:50, Glennbo wrote:
> I decided to both record a test with my new 3/4 scale Ibanez and also see if I could replicate the
> sound of a clean amp tone I had setup in the standalone version of Guitarix, but using the Guitarix
> plugins. I like the sound of the Guitarix plugins as a virtual amp better than what I was getting
> out of Guitar Rig or ToneLib.
>
> Anyway, this is quick test using the new short guitar, with me sloppily playing different stuff back
> to back, to see what it sounds like.
>
> https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=1418957&content=songs&view=newest
>
> This is a screen grab of the virtual amp I made using Guitarix plugins.
>
> https://www.soundclick.com/member/default.cfm?memberID=45205&content=photos

yep - that sounds like a real amp.
It sounds like a good plugin.

It's a good clean sound - can you dirty it up a little?

--
===========
John Braner

http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
https://johnbraner.bandcamp.com/
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Glennbo

Feb 13, 2023, 1:42:48 PM2/13/23
On 2/13/23 09:49, polymod wrote:
> Sounds good! Just like an amp should 😄

I've setup the standalone Guitarix for jamming, and realized I couldn't record what I was using for jamming. Guitarix has a big set of plugins though, most of which are the same things you can add to the standalone version, so I was mostly seeing if I could duplicate the clean amp I had setup for jamming.

If I were to record, I'd prolly still use my real amp, which only takes powering up the preamp/pedalboard, and Orange amp head. Everything else is ready to go.

> As far as Guitar Rig goes, I love it (and so do the guitar players that come over)!
>
> IMHO the key with GR is ditching their "Control  Room" and adding an instance of Reflektor where I can browse thru hundreds upon hundreds of IRs at my disposal including some I made from my own amp. With so many choices of  mics and the placement/positioning of mics, the difference is night and day.

Unfortunately, I have the next to full version of GR that came with Komplete Elements. It has about half of the amp models and no ability to patch in 3rd party IRs.

Glennbo

Feb 13, 2023, 1:48:50 PM2/13/23
On 2/13/23 10:37, John Braner wrote:
>> Anyway, this is quick test using the new short guitar, with me sloppily playing different stuff back to back, to see what it sounds like.
>>
>> https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=1418957&content=songs&view=newest
>>
>> This is a screen grab of the virtual amp I made using Guitarix plugins.
>>
>> https://www.soundclick.com/member/default.cfm?memberID=45205&content=photos
>>

> yep - that sounds like a real amp.
> It sounds like a good plugin.

It's all free in Linux too. The price I like to pay. :)
I'm really impressed with Guitarix and just wish someone would port the whole standalone version into a VST plugin, so I wouldn't have to use the individual plugin modules like you see in my screen grab.

The standalone also looks cooler coz it's all modular in a rack like GR.
https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/59/imgpages/5/4/45205_815687.jpg

> It's a good clean sound - can you dirty it up a little?

In the standalone version of Guitarix, I have Boogie clean, crunch, and lead patches setup. I plan to re-create the crunch and lead tones next. It's mostly a matter of figuring out which individual plugins match the components of the standalone amp, and then dialing them up to sound the same.

polymod

Feb 13, 2023, 3:55:12 PM2/13/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:tse0b6$2798c$1...@dont-email.me...

On 2/13/23 09:49, polymod wrote:
> Sounds good! Just like an amp should 😄

I've setup the standalone Guitarix for jamming, and realized I couldn't
record what I was using for jamming. Guitarix has a big set of plugins
though, most of which are the same things you can add to the standalone
version, so I was mostly seeing if I could duplicate the clean amp I had
setup for jamming.

If I were to record, I'd prolly still use my real amp, which only takes
powering up the preamp/pedalboard, and Orange amp head. Everything else is
ready to go.

> As far as Guitar Rig goes, I love it (and so do the guitar players that
> come over)!
>
> IMHO the key with GR is ditching their "Control Room" and adding an
> instance of Reflektor where I can browse thru hundreds upon hundreds of
> IRs at my disposal including some I made from my own amp. With so many
> choices of mics and the placement/positioning of mics, the difference is
> night and day.

Unfortunately, I have the next to full version of GR that came with Komplete
Elements. It has about half of the amp models and no ability to patch in 3rd
party IRs.

That's OK....you're using a real amp your setup works!

Glennbo

Feb 13, 2023, 4:39:05 PM2/13/23
On 2/13/23 14:55, polymod wrote:
> That's OK....you're using a real amp your setup works!

There might be some times when I want to use a virtual amp though, and now I have GR, ToneLib, and Guitarix virtual amps to choose from. The thing I've used virtual amps the most for is adding some grunge to tracks recorded with the real amp that I later decided needed to be less clean. :)

Glennbo

Feb 16, 2023, 10:12:29 PM2/16/23
On 2/13/23 10:37, John Braner wrote:
> It's a good clean sound - can you dirty it up a little?

I re-created the lead tone I had setup in the standalone version of Guitarix, but using Guitarix plugins in REAPER. The tone is very similar to what I get with my real amp, as I was trying to clone that sound, which I always used on Joey when he'd record here.

The playing is crappy, as I'm not a proficient solo player, but you should be able to hear what the 3/4 scale guitar though a solo tone sounds like. This test was using the bridge pickup in humbucker mode.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14551859

John Braner

Feb 18, 2023, 9:29:12 AM2/18/23
On 17/02/2023 03:12, Glennbo wrote:
> On 2/13/23 10:37, John Braner wrote:
>> It's a good clean sound - can you dirty it up a little?
>
> I re-created the lead tone I had setup in the standalone version of Guitarix, but using Guitarix
> plugins in REAPER. The tone is very similar to what I get with my real amp, as I was trying to clone
> that sound, which I always used on Joey when he'd record here.
>
> The playing is crappy, as I'm not a proficient solo player, but you should be able to hear what the
> 3/4 scale guitar though a solo tone sounds like. This test was using the bridge pickup in humbucker
> mode.
>
> https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14551859

It sounds good though. The tone is good - it sounds like as real amp.
guitarix sounds good - I wonder if they'll make a Windows version.

These guys
https://www.musiclab.com/products/realguitar/features.html
are shipping a version of guitarix with their (Windows based) guitar VIs (I read this in Sound on
Sound) so I wonder if we'll see a proper Windows version.

Glennbo

Feb 18, 2023, 12:10:13 PM2/18/23
On 2/18/23 08:29, John Braner wrote:
> On 17/02/2023 03:12, Glennbo wrote:
>> On 2/13/23 10:37, John Braner wrote:
>>> It's a good clean sound - can you dirty it up a little?
>>
>> I re-created the lead tone I had setup in the standalone version of Guitarix, but using Guitarix plugins in REAPER. The tone is very similar to what I get with my real amp, as I was trying to clone that sound, which I always used on Joey when he'd record here.
>>
>> The playing is crappy, as I'm not a proficient solo player, but you should be able to hear what the 3/4 scale guitar though a solo tone sounds like. This test was using the bridge pickup in humbucker mode.
>>
>> https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14551859
>>

> It sounds good though. The tone is good - it sounds like as real amp.
> guitarix sounds good - I wonder if they'll make a Windows version.

The thing that pushed me into using Guitarix was that it's so quick to fire up and be ready to play. It's a lot quicker than launching REAPER, adding a track for guitar through the real amp, then powering on both the preamp and tube power amp.

Using Guitarix I turn on the transmitter and receiver of the wireless system, hit a hot key that launches Guitarix and I'm jamming. After using Guitarix for jamming a while, I noticed it didn't seem to have the "fizzy" sound my other virtual guitar amps have. I don't have the full version of GR, so I can't use 3rd party cabinet impulses, which smooths it out for Poly. Guitarix has an "anti-fizz" button that works quite well.

> These guys
> https://www.musiclab.com/products/realguitar/features.html
> are shipping a version of guitarix with their (Windows based) guitar VIs (I read this in Sound on Sound) so I wonder if we'll see a proper Windows version.

Looks like they are referencing this project,

https://github.com/maximalexanian/guitarix-vst

where some folks have created a VST3 wrapper in JUCE for Guitarix, which allows it to run on Mac and Windows, as well as Linux. It's in beta right now, but I've been watching it because for all OSs it will allow running the whole standalone version of Guitarix as a plugin, which right now isn't possible, even on Linux. Only the individual modules done up as plugins can be loaded in a DAW right now, which is what I've done for the clean and lead tones.

For reference, I recorded playing essentially the same stuff through my real guitar amp and miked speaker cab, which I still like better, but the virtual amp is certainly usable and not that far off from the real thing. Here's the 3/4/ scale Ibanez through a real amp and miked speaker cab.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14552354