The Ballad of Frisby

Glennbo

Jun 19, 2023, 12:48:58 PM6/19/23
I wrote the music for this back in 2016, then "Tar Nation" wrote the lyrics and sang the lead vocals. I added backup vocals, and got "Polymod" to play some Farfisa organ on it.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14614501

It's about the 1962 Twilight Zone episode "Hocus-Pocus and Frisby" where a guy named "Frisby" lies so much the locals find his tall tales entertaining.

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __

John Braner

Jun 20, 2023, 11:58:56 AM6/20/23
On 19/06/2023 17:48, Glennbo wrote:
> I wrote the music for this back in 2016, then "Tar Nation" wrote the lyrics and sang the lead
> vocals. I added backup vocals, and got "Polymod" to play some Farfisa organ on it.
>
> https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14614501
>
> It's about the 1962 Twilight Zone episode "Hocus-Pocus and Frisby" where a guy named "Frisby" lies
> so much the locals find his tall tales entertaining.

This is a really catchy tune!
I like the cheesy (cheesy isn't a bad thing) 60's sound of the organ combined with the cool bass
line and more modern guitars - it works! ;-)

There's one or two transitions between sections that I'm not so sure about - but I like the tune.

--
===========
John Braner

http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
https://johnbraner.bandcamp.com/
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Glennbo

Jun 20, 2023, 7:06:27 PM6/20/23
On 6/20/23 10:58, John Braner wrote:
>> I wrote the music for this back in 2016, then "Tar Nation" wrote the lyrics and sang the lead vocals. I added backup vocals, and got "Polymod" to play some Farfisa organ on it.
>>
>> https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14614501
>>
>> It's about the 1962 Twilight Zone episode "Hocus-Pocus and Frisby" where a guy named "Frisby" lies so much the locals find his tall tales entertaining.
>>

> This is a really catchy tune!
> I like the cheesy (cheesy isn't a bad thing) 60's sound of the organ combined with the cool bass line and more modern guitars - it works! 😉
>
> There's one or two transitions between sections that I'm not so sure about - but I like the tune.

Thanks John. One transition, I wanted to sound chaotic with a tom roll, and another with a live fade out where everybody plays quieter and quieter until a moment of silence. I'm sure those are what you are referring to, and partly why I put the song into the Alternative/Experimental genre. :)

John Braner

Jun 21, 2023, 4:46:21 AM6/21/23
On 21/06/2023 00:06, Glennbo wrote:
> On 6/20/23 10:58, John Braner wrote:
>>> I wrote the music for this back in 2016, then "Tar Nation" wrote the lyrics and sang the lead
>>> vocals. I added backup vocals, and got "Polymod" to play some Farfisa organ on it.
>>>
>>> https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14614501
>>>
>>> It's about the 1962 Twilight Zone episode "Hocus-Pocus and Frisby" where a guy named "Frisby"
>>> lies so much the locals find his tall tales entertaining.
>>>

>> This is a really catchy tune!
>> I like the cheesy (cheesy isn't a bad thing) 60's sound of the organ combined with the cool bass
>> line and more modern guitars - it works! 😉
>>
>> There's one or two transitions between sections that I'm not so sure about - but I like the tune.
>
> Thanks John. One transition, I wanted to sound chaotic with a tom roll, and another with a live fade
> out where everybody plays quieter and quieter until a moment of silence. I'm sure those are what you
> are referring to, and partly why I put the song into the Alternative/Experimental genre. :)

well, i like it anyway ;)

Glennbo

Jun 21, 2023, 12:54:30 PM6/21/23
On 6/21/23 03:46, John Braner wrote:

>>> This is a really catchy tune!
>>> I like the cheesy (cheesy isn't a bad thing) 60's sound of the organ combined with the cool bass line and more modern guitars - it works! 😉
>>>
>>> There's one or two transitions between sections that I'm not so sure about - but I like the tune.
>>
>> Thanks John. One transition, I wanted to sound chaotic with a tom roll, and another with a live fade out where everybody plays quieter and quieter until a moment of silence. I'm sure those are what you are referring to, and partly why I put the song into the Alternative/Experimental genre. 😄
>>

> well, i like it anyway 😉

Thanks again John! Poly really hit the 60s vibe on the head with the Farfisa.

polymod

Jun 21, 2023, 5:00:31 PM6/21/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:u6va04$2v47s$1...@dont-email.me...

>Poly really hit the 60s vibe on the head with the Farfisa.

Tanks bro!
And you did a fantastic job on the remix.

I had to go back and see what the heck I was using for that organ sound.
http://sonicmusic.net/Combo.JPG
http://sonicmusic.net/Combo2.JPG

I see it's still available:
https://plugins4free.com/plugin/1004/

Poly

Glennbo

Jun 22, 2023, 1:08:47 PM6/22/23
On 6/21/23 16:00, polymod wrote:
> "Glennbo"  wrote in message news:u6va04$2v47s$1...@dont-email.me...
>> Poly really hit the 60s vibe on the head with the Farfisa.
>
> Tanks bro!
> And you did a fantastic job on the remix.

Thanks Poly. I've got much better plugins this time around, and mixing LCR really helps make things clearer.

> I had to go back and see what the heck I was using for that organ sound. http://sonicmusic.net/Combo.JPG
> http://sonicmusic.net/Combo2.JPG
>
> I see it's still available:
> https://plugins4free.com/plugin/1004/

Hmmm, the skin on that makes it look more like a Vox Continental than a Farfisa.

polymod

Jun 22, 2023, 2:17:01 PM6/22/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:u71v6t$3c2rt$1...@dont-email.me...

On 6/21/23 16:00, polymod wrote:
> "Glennbo" wrote in message news:u6va04$2v47s$1...@dont-email.me...
>> Poly really hit the 60s vibe on the head with the Farfisa.
>
> Tanks bro!
> And you did a fantastic job on the remix.

Thanks Poly. I've got much better plugins this time around, and mixing LCR
really helps make things clearer.

> I had to go back and see what the heck I was using for that organ sound.
> http://sonicmusic.net/Combo.JPG
> http://sonicmusic.net/Combo2.JPG
>
> I see it's still available:
> https://plugins4free.com/plugin/1004/

Hmmm, the skin on that makes it look more like a Vox Continental than a
Farfisa.

It is! Both Vox Continental, Farfisa, and the Gibson G-101 were the best
combo organs of the 60s, with the Vox being the 'sound' most folks are
familiar with especially the Doors.

Glennbo

Jun 22, 2023, 3:05:35 PM6/22/23
Ahh, veddy cool! My band mate buddy Dave T. had, and may still have, a Vox Continental in our classic rock band. The keys were reverse colors so the white keys were black and vice-versa. We did several Doors songs like Light my Fire, but he also used it on other classic hits that used one.

polymod

Jun 22, 2023, 3:27:26 PM6/22/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:u7261s$3cttv$1...@dont-email.me...

On 6/22/23 13:16, polymod wrote:
> "Glennbo" wrote in message news:u71v6t$3c2rt$1...@dont-email.me...
>
> On 6/21/23 16:00, polymod wrote:
>> "Glennbo" wrote in message news:u6va04$2v47s$1...@dont-email.me...
>>> Poly really hit the 60s vibe on the head with the Farfisa.
>>
>> Tanks bro!
>> And you did a fantastic job on the remix.
>
> Thanks Poly. I've got much better plugins this time around, and mixing LCR
> really helps make things clearer.
>
>> I had to go back and see what the heck I was using for that organ sound.
>> http://sonicmusic.net/Combo.JPG
>> http://sonicmusic.net/Combo2.JPG
>>
>> I see it's still available:
>> https://plugins4free.com/plugin/1004/
>
> Hmmm, the skin on that makes it look more like a Vox Continental than a
> Farfisa.
>

> It is! Both Vox Continental, Farfisa, and the Gibson G-101 were the best
> combo organs of the 60s, with the Vox being the 'sound' most folks are
> familiar with especially the Doors.

Ahh, veddy cool! My band mate buddy Dave T. had, and may still have, a Vox
Continental in our classic rock band. The keys were reverse colors so the
white keys were black and vice-versa. We did several Doors songs like Light
my Fire, but he also used it on other classic hits that used one.

That must have been cool! I had a chance to buy a Farfisa back in the day,
but it just wasn't practical for wedding gigs<G>

Glennbo

Jun 22, 2023, 5:26:37 PM6/22/23
We had all the correct instruments for classic rock, all the way down to Dave bringing out a real East Indian sitar with a Barcus Berry pickup so we could play Norwegian Wood and sound legit. That band took forever between songs, because someone was always having to get a Coral electric sitar out, or grab a Rickenbacker 12-String, or switch to a Hofner bass. We did try to do several songs in a row that used the same instruments, but then it would take five or more minutes to reconfigure for the next batch of songs.

The very first gigging band I was in, our keyboard player had a Farfisa and originally used a Silvertone amp, but later got a Leslie 147. We were still in highschool, but our guitar player was the student council president, so he knew all the other schools student council presidents, and we were constantly playing other schools proms and dances.

polymod

Jun 23, 2023, 11:15:58 AM6/23/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:u72e8u$3dtqv$1...@dont-email.me...
Good stuff.....ah...the good ole days. I've seen clips of your band
including Norwegian Wood and it was very, very good!

I think my favorite memory back then was playing a gig with my high school
rock band at a popular park in town.
I was playing a Cordovox and would always laugh hearing the chuckles and
snide remarks from the crowd...like...."look at the "cordeen" player", "Hey,
how 'bout a polka", and shit like "do you know Spanish Eyes"?
We opened with "Sunrise" by Uriah Heep and the look on those bastard's faces
when they heard that Cordovox wailing was freekin' priceless.
I was playing thru a Leslie 145 (could have been 147....too many drugs man!)
and also used a Univox Fuzz pedal. The Cordovox had a detent on the side of
the pedal for bending notes.
Heh....Fook off with your Spanish Eyes! LOL!!!!

Larry

Glennbo

Jun 23, 2023, 11:34:59 AM6/23/23
On 6/23/23 10:15, polymod wrote:
> "Glennbo"  wrote in message news:u72e8u$3dtqv$1...@dont-email.me...
>
> On 6/22/23 14:27, polymod wrote:
>>
>> "Glennbo"  wrote in message news:u7261s$3cttv$1...@dont-email.me...
>>
>> On 6/22/23 13:16, polymod wrote:

>>> Thanks Poly. I've got much better plugins this time around, and mixing LCR really helps make things clearer.

>>> Hmmm, the skin on that makes it look more like a Vox Continental than a Farfisa.
>>>

>>> It is! Both Vox Continental, Farfisa, and the Gibson G-101 were the best combo organs of the 60s, with the Vox being the 'sound' most folks are familiar with especially the Doors.
>>
>> Ahh, veddy cool! My band mate buddy Dave T. had, and may still have, a Vox Continental in our classic rock band. The keys were reverse colors so the white keys were black and vice-versa. We did several Doors songs like Light my Fire, but he also used it on other classic hits that used one.
>

>> That must have been cool! I had a chance to buy a Farfisa back in the day, but it just wasn't practical for wedding gigs<G>
>
> We had all the correct instruments for classic rock, all the way down to Dave bringing out a real East Indian sitar with a Barcus Berry pickup so we could play Norwegian Wood and sound legit. That band took forever between songs, because someone was always having to get a Coral electric sitar out, or grab a Rickenbacker 12-String, or switch to a Hofner bass. We did try to do several songs in a row that used the same instruments, but then it would take five or more minutes to reconfigure for the next batch of songs.
>
> The very first gigging band I was in, our keyboard player had a Farfisa and originally used a Silvertone amp, but later got a Leslie 147. We were still in highschool, but our guitar player was the student council president, so he knew all the other schools student council presidents, and we were constantly playing other schools proms and dances.

> Good stuff.....ah...the good ole days. I've seen clips of your band including Norwegian Wood and it was very, very good!

I made the mistake of taking those videos down at some point, then SoundClick quit offering their users free space for videos, and I don't really want any kind of Google account. :-/

> I think my favorite memory back then was playing a gig with my high school rock band at a popular park in town.
> I was playing a Cordovox and would always laugh hearing the chuckles and snide remarks from the crowd...like...."look at the "cordeen" player", "Hey, how 'bout a polka", and shit like "do you know Spanish Eyes"?
> We opened with "Sunrise" by Uriah Heep and the look on those bastard's faces when they heard that Cordovox wailing was freekin' priceless.
> I was playing thru a Leslie 145 (could have been 147....too many drugs man!) and also used a Univox Fuzz pedal.

That had to be a blast! I always thought accordions were cool instruments. Brian Wilson used them all the time in pairs on recordings like the Pet Sounds album. Never with a Leslie or fuzz though. :)

The Cordovox had a detent on the side of the pedal for bending notes.
> Heh....Fook off with your Spanish Eyes! LOL!!!!

I remember someone I played in a band with having that same pedal. One of my favorite uses of accordion in progressive music is PFM's Is my face on straight, toward the end. Killer solo and the buzziness of the accordion is the perfect sound for that spot.

polymod

Jun 23, 2023, 1:33:42 PM6/23/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:u74e31$3os0j$1...@dont-email.me...

<snip>

>I remember someone I played in a band with having that same pedal. One of
>my favorite uses of accordion in progressive music is PFM's Is my face on
>straight, toward the end. Killer solo and the buzziness >of the accordion
>is the perfect sound for that spot.

Absolutely! Great keys in that band.
One of my favorite practice warm-ups is 4 holes in the ground. The part
close to the end where it gets faster and faster.
That is one blistering tune!

Glennbo

Jun 23, 2023, 1:45:58 PM6/23/23
On 6/23/23 12:33, polymod wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> I remember someone I played in a band with having that same pedal. One of my favorite uses of accordion in progressive music is PFM's Is my face on straight, toward the end. Killer solo and the buzziness >of the accordion is the perfect sound for that spot.
>
> Absolutely! Great keys in that band.
> One of my favorite practice warm-ups is 4 holes in the ground. The part close to the end where it gets faster and faster.
> That is one blistering tune!

What an awesome freeking warm up tune!!!

polymod

Jun 24, 2023, 12:06:55 PM6/24/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:u74lok$3pmt4$1...@dont-email.me...

On 6/23/23 12:33, polymod wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> I remember someone I played in a band with having that same pedal. One of
>> my favorite uses of accordion in progressive music is PFM's Is my face on
>> straight, toward the end. Killer solo and the buzziness >of the accordion
>> is the perfect sound for that spot.
>
> Absolutely! Great keys in that band.
> One of my favorite practice warm-ups is 4 holes in the ground. The part
> close to the end where it gets faster and faster.
> That is one blistering tune!

What an awesome freeking warm up tune!!!

Absolutely!

m...@arwoodsnospamjewelry.com

Jun 24, 2023, 5:40:07 PM6/24/23
"Glennbo" wrote in message news:u6q0to$245d5$1...@dont-email.me...
Nice tune - Very retro! The organ lick was classic!! I remember that sound
well.
I did the Farfisa w/ Silvertone amp, then got a Leslie 147 too! The
Farfisa sounded nice though the 147!
Max Arwood

Glennbo

Jun 25, 2023, 1:18:12 PM6/25/23
On 6/24/23 16:40, m...@arwoodsnospamjewelry.com wrote:

> I wrote the music for this back in 2016, then "Tar Nation" wrote the lyrics and sang the lead vocals. I added backup vocals, and got "Polymod" to play some Farfisa organ on it.
>
> https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14614501
>
> It's about the 1962 Twilight Zone episode "Hocus-Pocus and Frisby" where a guy named "Frisby" lies so much the locals find his tall tales entertaining.

> Nice tune - Very retro! The organ lick was classic!! I remember that sound well.
> I did the Farfisa w/ Silvertone amp, then got a Leslie 147 too! The
> Farfisa sounded nice though the 147!

Thanks Max! Poly's keyboard parts give it a Doors flavor that fits the song like a glove, especially that solo section.

The sound of a Farfisa through a Leslie 147 was pretty decent. We played a lot of Santana in that band, and songs like Black Magic Woman sounded close enough for rock-n-roll on the organ parts.