Steely Dan Cover

1 view

Glennbo

Feb 8, 2023, 7:47:37 PM2/8/23
I accidentally ended up playing the drums on this cover of Deacon Blue. Over on the REAPER forum, Tod Stillwell who created the free drum kit for Kontakt, "SM Drums",

https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/

contacted me to evaluate a section of drums he was working on for Deacon Blue.

I have a digitized copy of my Aja CD on my DAW, so I pulled the wave file for Deacon Blue into REAPER, added my acoustic drums template, and hit record. I did one take, created a 320Kbps MP3, and sent it to Tod, saying he could use my track as a reference for putting his own drum track together.

Then I get an email from him asking if I played to the record, because my track lined up perfectly with what he was working on, with the one exception of his version omits the sax solo. He had imported the CD just like me, but he had taken the extra step of marking the first beat of every measure and creating a tempo map so the metronome plays in time without any drift. Anyway, he ended up importing my stereo mix of drums, and cutting out the solo section for the final version.

Tod is playing all instruments other than the acoustic drums, and his wife and daughter are singing all the vocals.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-TVzdjb_ZsWsrg2JQ9QIjZOu7ZrUz89b/view

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __

polymod

Feb 9, 2023, 11:10:11 AM2/9/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:ts1fr7$d94l$1...@dont-email.me...

[...]

Very nice job all around! Not an easy tune to cover for sure (is there any
SD tune that's easy to cover?)

My only nag is it's a bit "sterile".
Needs some balls. ;-)

Poly

Glennbo

Feb 9, 2023, 12:08:27 PM2/9/23
I was surprised that I ended up on it. I really recorded myself playing to the CD track to see how my drum mix template was sounding. The mix on the drums is what I get by just adding my "pre-mixed with FX" template, and then record some drums.

> My only nag is it's a bit "sterile".
> Needs some balls. 😉

Personally, I would have preferred a different singer, but that's his wife and daughter doing the vox. I'd have used different horns too, as those sound like samples to me.

Max Arwood

Feb 16, 2023, 2:27:57 AM2/16/23
"Glennbo" wrote in message news:ts1fr7$d94l$1...@dont-email.me...

Nice work. I agree it is "too" perfect
POLY "a bit "sterile". Yes I agree
Max Arwood

Glennbo

Feb 16, 2023, 4:10:38 PM2/16/23
On 2/16/23 01:27, Max Arwood wrote:
> "Glennbo"  wrote in message news:ts1fr7$d94l$1...@dont-email.me...
>
> I accidentally ended up playing the drums on this cover of Deacon Blue. Over on the REAPER forum, Tod Stillwell who created the free drum kit for Kontakt, "SM Drums",
>
> https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/
>
> contacted me to evaluate a section of drums he was working on for Deacon Blue.
>
> I have a digitized copy of my Aja CD on my DAW, so I pulled the wave file for Deacon Blue into REAPER, added my acoustic drums template, and hit record. I did one take, created a 320Kbps MP3, and sent it to Tod, saying he could use my track as a reference for putting his own drum track together.
>
> Then I get an email from him asking if I played to the record, because my track lined up perfectly with what he was working on, with the one exception of his version omits the sax solo. He had imported the CD just like me, but he had taken the extra step of marking the first beat of every measure and creating a tempo map so the metronome plays in time without any drift. Anyway, he ended up importing my stereo mix of drums, and cutting out the solo section for the final version.
>
> Tod is playing all instruments other than the acoustic drums, and his wife and daughter are singing all the vocals.
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-TVzdjb_ZsWsrg2JQ9QIjZOu7ZrUz89b/view

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Nice work. I agree it is "too" perfect
> POLY "a bit "sterile". Yes I agree

Thanks Max. My drums were played to the record and recorded first take. I suspect that Tod quantized the keyboards, because he had made a tempo map to the record, so that the DAW metronome would click perfectly to the imported record track being used as a reference. That would also make quantizing possible, and Tod is an 80 year old guitarist.

Max Arwood

Feb 18, 2023, 10:38:04 PM2/18/23
"Glennbo" wrote in message news:tsm64c$3bvpa$1...@dont-email.me...
Tod is an inspiration! At least, I am a little younger than him. It gives me
hope!
Max Arwood

Glennbo

Feb 19, 2023, 11:41:46 AM2/19/23
On 2/18/23 21:38, Max Arwood wrote:
>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>> Nice work. I agree it is "too" perfect
>> POLY "a bit "sterile". Yes I agree
>
> Thanks Max. My drums were played to the record and recorded first take. I suspect that Tod quantized the keyboards, because he had made a tempo map to the record, so that the DAW metronome would click perfectly to the imported record track being used as a reference. That would also make quantizing possible, and Tod is an 80 year old guitarist.

> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Tod is an inspiration! At least, I am a little younger than him. It gives me hope!

I hope to be playing music through to the end. Never a day goes by that I don't get on one or more of the many instruments in the house and play for a while.

polymod

Feb 19, 2023, 11:55:32 AM2/19/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:tstjg9$ejba$1...@dont-email.me...

I hope to be playing music through to the end. Never a day goes by that I
don't get on one or more of the many instruments in the house and play for a
while.

Amen bro. Music does keep one young at heart.
Even if I'm busy as hell during the day, night time one of my guits come out
to play.
My weekly lineup (which does sometimes change pending my mood)

Straturday
Red Guitar G&L Sunday
Mexican Monday
Tele Tuesday
Gibby Wednesday
Olive Strat back on Thursday
Tele back on Friday.

sounds like a song don't it?

Glennbo

Feb 19, 2023, 1:30:26 PM2/19/23
On 2/19/23 10:55, polymod wrote:

> "Glennbo"  wrote in message news:tstjg9$ejba$1...@dont-email.me...
>
> I hope to be playing music through to the end. Never a day goes by that I don't get on one or more of the many instruments in the house and play for a while.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Amen bro. Music does keep one young at heart.
> Even if I'm busy as hell during the day, night time one of my guits come out to play.
> My weekly lineup (which does sometimes change pending my mood)
>
> Straturday
> Red Guitar G&L Sunday
> Mexican Monday
> Tele Tuesday
> Gibby Wednesday
> Olive Strat back on Thursday
> Tele back on Friday.

Looks a lot like my schedule, except I include Ludwig drums and assorted basses in the roster. :)

> sounds like a song don't it?

Could re-work Sting's "Seven Days" (which is in 5 and one of my favorite songs to play drums with).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV0rJ6rvWbw

Vinnie is such a great drummer. Plays it like it's straight.

polymod

Feb 20, 2023, 10:35:18 AM2/20/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:tstps0$fdth$1...@dont-email.me...

On 2/19/23 10:55, polymod wrote:

> "Glennbo" wrote in message news:tstjg9$ejba$1...@dont-email.me...
>
> I hope to be playing music through to the end. Never a day goes by that I
> don't get on one or more of the many instruments in the house and play for
> a while.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Amen bro. Music does keep one young at heart.
> Even if I'm busy as hell during the day, night time one of my guits come
> out to play.
> My weekly lineup (which does sometimes change pending my mood)
>
> Straturday
> Red Guitar G&L Sunday
> Mexican Monday
> Tele Tuesday
> Gibby Wednesday
> Olive Strat back on Thursday
> Tele back on Friday.

Looks a lot like my schedule, except I include Ludwig drums and assorted
basses in the roster. :)

> sounds like a song don't it?

Could re-work Sting's "Seven Days" (which is in 5 and one of my favorite
songs to play drums with).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV0rJ6rvWbw

Vinnie is such a great drummer. Plays it like it's straight.

LOL....good one. And yes Vinnie is a monster.

Poly

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __
/ ____/ /__ ____ ____ / /_ ____
/ / __/ / _ \/ __ \/ __ \/ __ \/ __ \
/ /_/ / / __/ / / / / / / /_/ / /_/ /
\____/_/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_.___/\____/
Glennbo http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo

Glennbo

Feb 20, 2023, 11:20:30 AM2/20/23
On 2/20/23 09:35, polymod wrote:
>> Amen bro. Music does keep one young at heart.
>> Even if I'm busy as hell during the day, night time one of my guits come out to play.
>> My weekly lineup (which does sometimes change pending my mood)
>>
>> Straturday
>> Red Guitar G&L Sunday
>> Mexican Monday
>> Tele Tuesday
>> Gibby Wednesday
>> Olive Strat back on Thursday
>> Tele back on Friday.
>
> Looks a lot like my schedule, except I include Ludwig drums and assorted basses in the roster.  😄
>
>> sounds like a song don't it?
>
> Could re-work Sting's "Seven Days" (which is in 5 and one of my favorite songs to play drums with).
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV0rJ6rvWbw
>
> Vinnie is such a great drummer. Plays it like it's straight.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> LOL....good one. And yes Vinnie is a monster.

After playing that video of them playing Seven Days in Sting's living room, I kept checking out Vinnie's array of little splash cymbals. I used to have a couple with my live kit, but they got cracked and then the band quit playing so I never replaced them.

Well, now I have a 6" and 8" splash on the way, and it's all Vinnie's fault. Well, maybe Stewart Copeland too. Both those guys use tiny splash cymbals really well, and now I'll be re-joining their club. :)

Max Arwood

Mar 6, 2023, 3:22:46 AM3/6/23
"polymod" wrote in message news:tstka2$eohr$1...@dont-email.me...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
No wonder I've been feeling my age lately!
Need more cowbell, guitar, keys, any much more!
Max Arwood

Glennbo

Mar 6, 2023, 10:11:19 AM3/6/23
On 3/6/23 02:22, Max Arwood wrote:
> "polymod"  wrote in message news:tstka2$eohr$1...@dont-email.me...
>
> "Glennbo"  wrote in message news:tstjg9$ejba$1...@dont-email.me...
>
> I hope to be playing music through to the end. Never a day goes by that I
> don't get on one or more of the many instruments in the house and play for a
> while.
>
> Amen bro. Music does keep one young at heart.
> Even if I'm busy as hell during the day, night time one of my guits come out
> to play.
> My weekly lineup (which does sometimes change pending my mood)
>
> Straturday
> Red Guitar G&L Sunday
> Mexican Monday
> Tele Tuesday
> Gibby Wednesday
> Olive Strat back on Thursday
> Tele back on Friday.
>
> sounds like a song don't it?
>
> 😉
>
> Poly

> No wonder I've been feeling my age lately!
> Need more cowbell, guitar, keys, any much more!

I buy new instruments on a pretty regular basis, mostly to inspire me to play and not because I need them. That was the case with the 3/4 scale Ibanez guitar I recently got. I keep looking at mini bluetooth midi keyboards too, coz with one of those I could jam anywhere using the virtual instruments in Garage Band on my iPhone.