New Ibanez miKro guitar

Glennbo

Dec 29, 2022, 9:29:24 AM12/29/22
I thought I was done buying new guitars, but I just had to have one of these 3/4 scale Ibanez miKro guitars.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/81/imgpages/5/4/45205_815588.jpg

You can't tell how small it is by that first pic, so I took this one with the miKro sitting next to my Epiphone SG. It doesn't feel that small playing it, but some chords that are a reach are a lot easier, and it's possible to add notes to chords that would be impossible on a full scale guitar.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/35/imgpages/5/4/45205_815587.jpg

Boat loads of fun for only $169.99, and I have a single guitar stand coming today or tomorrow, so this one will be the arms reach away easy playing guitar specifically for jamming and writing.

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __

Glennbo

Dec 29, 2022, 9:34:53 AM12/29/22
On 12/29/22 08:28, Glennbo wrote:
> I thought I was done buying new guitars, but I just had to have one of these 3/4 scale Ibanez miKro guitars.

Forgot to mention how cool the wiring is on the miKro. It has a 5-Way switch that turns on or off coils so there are a couple of single coil positions. Here's the chart that shows how the switch affects the pickups.

https://www.ibanez.com/common/product_artist_file/file/puswitch_53.png

polymod

Dec 29, 2022, 12:05:37 PM12/29/22

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:tok8ib$l5c$1...@gioia.aioe.org...

On 12/29/22 08:28, Glennbo wrote:
> I thought I was done buying new guitars, but I just had to have one of
> these 3/4 scale Ibanez miKro guitars.

Forgot to mention how cool the wiring is on the miKro. It has a 5-Way switch
that turns on or off coils so there are a couple of single coil positions.
Here's the chart that shows how the switch affects the pickups.

https://www.ibanez.com/common/product_artist_file/file/puswitch_53.png

Veddy cool mon! And 23 frets to boot!
Good luck with it.

It looks like a baby next to that SG!

Poly

Glennbo

Dec 29, 2022, 12:39:51 PM12/29/22
On 12/29/22 11:05, polymod wrote:

> Veddy cool mon! And 23 frets to boot!> Good luck with it.

The intonation is right on to the last fret, but you have to be real light with the touch or you bend sharp.

It's so fun to play though, and that was the point in buying one. I can't wait to see what you spend your Sweetwater gift card on. I like how they include a little packet of candy to munch on while playing with your new musical gear. :)

> It looks like a baby next to that SG!

It really doesn't seem so small until you see it next to a normal guitar.

Playing it doesn't feel cramped at all.

polymod

Dec 31, 2022, 12:08:15 PM12/31/22

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:tokjd2$1u78$1...@gioia.aioe.org...

<snip>
>I can't wait to see what you spend your Sweetwater gift card on.

Well, it won't be exciting that I can promise. I made a substantial purchase
a few months back and bought Pianoteq 8 which blew me right out of the
water.
I bought it the day it was released and got a substantial discount off the
retail price.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pianoteq8Pro--modartt-pianoteq-8-pro-edition-virtual-instrument-software

My wife's Christmas gift will be spent on stuff like strings, picks, etc.
Still, it's stuff that I need that I don't have to pay for!

>I like how they include a little packet of candy to munch on while playing
>with your new musical gear. :)

LOL...that stuff always gets tossed! Not a big candy eater!

Happy New Year bro!

Glennbo

Jan 2, 2023, 2:50:20 PM1/2/23
On 12/31/22 11:08, polymod wrote:
> <snip>
>> I can't wait to see what you spend your Sweetwater gift card on.
>
> Well, it won't be exciting that I can promise. I made a substantial purchase a few months back and bought Pianoteq 8 which blew me right out of the water.
> I bought it the day it was released and got a substantial discount off the retail price.
> https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pianoteq8Pro--modartt-pianoteq-8-pro-edition-virtual-instrument-software

I *almost* bought Pianoteq Stage while it was on sale last month, but then I started looking at 3/4 scale guitars. I screwed the tendons up in my left thumb last Summer opening a jar that didn't want to open, and some chords are harder to make with less mobility. Especially a few John McLaughlin things I know how to play. I figger I'll play the little guitar until I'm ready to record, and then I'll break out a full scale.

> My wife's Christmas gift will be spent on stuff like strings, picks, etc. Still, it's stuff that I need that I don't  have to pay for!

Ain't nothing wrong with stuff like that. I blew a $50 gift card on another set of Pure Nickel GHS Rockers, a new black guitar stand for the new little guitar, and a veddy cool Korg contact mic with cord for tuning all my non-electric instruments.

https://www.amazon.com/Korg-Contact-Microphone-Tuners-Black/dp/B07DZYCXNP/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1WZE9UDAHM866&keywords=korg+mic&qid=1672688486&sprefix=korg+mic%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-2

My Korg rack mount tuner that is mounted in a rack of my desk has a mic, but it is not really usable, so now I can plug this in and easily tune my acoustic guitar, banjo, and mandolin.

Lastly, I have one of these pocket sized rechargeable practice amps on the way, so I can clip it on and go out on the patio with the leetle guitar to practice and jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W8ua4F8Qxk

>> I like how they include a little packet of candy to munch on while playing with your new musical gear.  😄
>
> LOL...that stuff always gets tossed! Not a big candy eater!

I never ever buy candy, but when I get a free small assorted package with a guitar, I feel obligated to eat it. :)

> Happy New Year bro!

Back atcha Poly. May this be a prosperous and fulfilling new year for all!

John Braner

Jan 4, 2023, 4:52:23 PM1/4/23
On 31/12/2022 17:08, polymod wrote:

> Well, it won't be exciting that I can promise. I made a substantial purchase a few months back and
> bought Pianoteq 8 which blew me right out of the water.
> I bought it the day it was released and got a substantial discount off the retail price.
> https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pianoteq8Pro--modartt-pianoteq-8-pro-edition-virtual-instrument-software

Hey Poly - which pianos did you pick?
I've had "Standard" for a while now (since ver 5 or 6) and I love it ;-)
I've got:
the two Steinway Model D models
K2 grand piano
Steingraeber E-272
C. Bechstein DG

--
===========
John Braner

http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
https://johnbraner.bandcamp.com/
and all the major streaming/download sites.

polymod

Jan 5, 2023, 6:32:49 AM1/5/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:tovchq$147u$1...@gioia.aioe.org...

On 12/31/22 11:08, polymod wrote:
> <snip>
>> I can't wait to see what you spend your Sweetwater gift card on.
>
> Well, it won't be exciting that I can promise. I made a substantial
> purchase a few months back and bought Pianoteq 8 which blew me right out
> of the water.
> I bought it the day it was released and got a substantial discount off the
> retail price.
> https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pianoteq8Pro--modartt-pianoteq-8-pro-edition-virtual-instrument-software

I *almost* bought Pianoteq Stage while it was on sale last month, but then I
started looking at 3/4 scale guitars. I screwed the tendons up in my left
thumb last Summer opening a jar that didn't want to open, and some chords
are harder to make with less mobility. Especially a few John McLaughlin
things I know how to play. I figger I'll play the little guitar until I'm
ready to record, and then I'll break out a full scale.

Have you gone to a doctor/are you positive it's tendons?
I am in a splint right now for ligament damage on my thumb which I was
positive that it was tendons but it wasn't.
Had a cortisone shot last week which has helped.
After 42 years of hitting octaves on my LH to tune pianos things start to
break down.

Good luck with your toys!

polymod

Jan 5, 2023, 6:34:41 AM1/5/23

"John Braner" wrote in message news:tp4sel$2j1nj$1...@dont-email.me...

On 31/12/2022 17:08, polymod wrote:

> Well, it won't be exciting that I can promise. I made a substantial
> purchase a few months back and bought Pianoteq 8 which blew me right out
> of the water.
> I bought it the day it was released and got a substantial discount off the
> retail price.
> https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pianoteq8Pro--modartt-pianoteq-8-pro-edition-virtual-instrument-software

Hey Poly - which pianos did you pick?
I've had "Standard" for a while now (since ver 5 or 6) and I love it ;-)
I've got:
the two Steinway Model D models
K2 grand piano
Steingraeber E-272
C. Bechstein DG

I'll have to check later, but I know I included the upright piano which is
the bomb. Sounds just like a real piano and I'm pretty fussy.
I know I have a couple of Steinways in there!

Great program!

Glennbo

Jan 5, 2023, 11:07:43 AM1/5/23
On 1/4/23 15:52, John Braner wrote:
> On 31/12/2022 17:08, polymod wrote:
>

>> Well, it won't be exciting that I can promise. I made a substantial purchase a few months back and bought Pianoteq 8 which blew me right out of the water.
>> I bought it the day it was released and got a substantial discount off the retail price.
>> https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pianoteq8Pro--modartt-pianoteq-8-pro-edition-virtual-instrument-software
>>

> Hey Poly - which pianos did you pick?
> I've had "Standard" for a while now (since ver 5 or 6) and I love it ;-)
> I've got:
> the two Steinway Model D models
> K2 grand piano
> Steingraeber E-272
> C. Bechstein DG

The C. Bechstein and Steinways were the two I was thinking about getting, before I blew my Pianoteq cash on zee new leetle guitar. :)

Glennbo

Jan 5, 2023, 11:45:50 AM1/5/23
On 1/5/23 05:32, polymod wrote:
> Have you gone to a doctor/are you positive it's tendons?

No, and yes. After trying too hard to open a jar last Summer, I first developed trigger thumb, where bending it back would move, but sort of get stuck and then pop for the last movement. I can feel a small bird nest of shredded tendon, that now prevents my thumb from going all the way back as far as my other thumb.

That said, I have double jointed thumbs, that both of used to go 90 degrees farther than most people, but now my left thumb stops at straight up where the other one can go backwards. It really has had no effect on playing drums, or playing bass, but with some stretched out chords on guitar, it's had an effect.

> I am in a splint right now for ligament damage on my thumb which I was positive that it was tendons but it wasn't.
> Had a cortisone shot last week which has helped.
> After 42 years of hitting octaves on my LH to tune pianos things start to break down.

I hope you get that under control. The thing with my thumb is a minor annoyance that I'm sure could be corrected with surgery, shaving the wad of tendon down so it will pass through the sheath that contains it all the way, but I'm not willing to part with the couple grand of insurance deductible or rehab time. :)

> Good luck with your toys!

Tanks mon! The little Ibanez is so easy to play that I'm jamming on it constantly.

Some things I've discovered after playing it so much are, it plays in tune all the way up and down the 24 fret neck, but you have to use a really light touch. Last night it occurred to me, that I could use that for vibrato, and it works real well. Make a chord pressing real light, strum it, then just push harder and lighter and it sounds very similar to a Bigsby tremolo. I was also having some strings sticking at the nut, so I put some graphite in the slots, which fixed that issue.

Lastly, the dual humbuckers are super hot output pickups, where every other guitar I have with humbuckers, they are all much lower output. The main solo patch I use on my Digitech tube guitar preamp, squealed like a stuck pig the first time I tried it with the little guitar. I've since gone through all the patches on that unit and upped the noise gate, and some other adjustments so that both my full sized lower output guitars and this new shorter and hotter guitar sound good thought it.

polymod

Jan 5, 2023, 12:13:41 PM1/5/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:tp6urs$ak5$1...@gioia.aioe.org...

On 1/5/23 05:32, polymod wrote:
>> Have you gone to a doctor/are you positive it's tendons?

>No, and yes. After trying too hard to open a jar last Summer, I first
>developed trigger thumb, where bending it back would move, but sort of get
>stuck and then pop for the last movement. I can feel a small >bird nest of
>shredded tendon, that now prevents my thumb from going all the way back as
>far as my other thumb.

Got that too....in my other hand. The one that holds my tuning hammer every
day.
One cortisone shot was all it needed. Had it a couple years ago and it's not
bothered me since.

>Tanks mon! The little Ibanez is so easy to play that I'm jamming on it
>constantly.

>Some things I've discovered after playing it so much are, it plays in tune
>all the way up and down the 24 fret neck, but you have to use a really
>light touch. Last night it occurred to me, that I could use that >for
>vibrato, and it works real well. Make a chord pressing real light, strum
>it, then just push harder and lighter and it sounds very similar to a
>Bigsby tremolo. I was also having some strings sticking at the >nut, so I
>put some graphite in the slots, which fixed that issue.

>Lastly, the dual humbuckers are super hot output pickups, where every other
>guitar I have with humbuckers, they are all much lower output. The main
>solo patch I use on my Digitech tube guitar preamp, >squealed like a stuck
>pig the first time I tried it with the little guitar. I've since gone
>through all the patches on that unit and upped the noise gate, and some
>other adjustments so that both my full sized >lower output guitars and this
>new shorter and hotter guitar sound good thought it.

Well, that guit will keep ya busy for a while. All my guitars vary when it
comes to output level.
Have fun!

Glennbo

Jan 6, 2023, 10:16:32 AM1/6/23
On 1/5/23 11:13, polymod wrote:
>>> Have you gone to a doctor/are you positive it's tendons?
>
>> No, and yes. After trying too hard to open a jar last Summer, I first developed trigger thumb, where bending it back would move, but sort of get stuck and then pop for the last movement. I can feel a small >bird nest of shredded tendon, that now prevents my thumb from going all the way back as far as my other thumb.
>
> Got that too....in my other hand. The one that holds my tuning hammer every day.
> One cortisone shot was all it needed. Had it a couple years ago and it's not bothered me since.

If they could fix my thumb with a shot I'd do that, but I'm pretty sure that the wad of shredded tendon material, which I can feel moving with my other hand, would require surgery, and I hate seeing doctors. I really don't even notice it until I try to make a stretched out spider chord on guitar, and have to put my hand in a slightly different orientation.

>> Tanks mon! The little Ibanez is so easy to play that I'm jamming on it constantly.
>
>> Some things I've discovered after playing it so much are, it plays in tune all the way up and down the 24 fret neck, but you have to use a really light touch. Last night it occurred to me, that I could use that >for vibrato, and it works real well. Make a chord pressing real light, strum it, then just push harder and lighter and it sounds very similar to a Bigsby tremolo. I was also having some strings sticking at the >nut, so I put some graphite in the slots, which fixed that issue.
>
>> Lastly, the dual humbuckers are super hot output pickups, where every other guitar I have with humbuckers, they are all much lower output. The main solo patch I use on my Digitech tube guitar preamp, >squealed like a stuck pig the first time I tried it with the little guitar. I've since gone through all the patches on that unit and upped the noise gate, and some other adjustments so that both my full sized >lower output guitars and this new shorter and hotter guitar sound good thought it.
>
> Well, that guit will keep ya busy for a while. All my guitars vary when it comes to output level.
> Have fun!

It's inspiring me to play so much that I've stumbled onto bits of several songs while playing. Yesterday I was dinking around with sliding chords around and while doing it thought what I was playing sounded familiar. Turned out I had played the main guitar line from the song Jack and Diane right where the vocals come in. For shits and grins, I called up the song on U-Toob and I was playing the correct chords in the right key. :)

polymod

Jan 6, 2023, 2:37:48 PM1/6/23

"John Braner" wrote in message news:tp4sel$2j1nj$1...@dont-email.me...

Hey Poly - which pianos did you pick?
I've had "Standard" for a while now (since ver 5 or 6) and I love it ;-)
I've got:
the two Steinway Model D models
K2 grand piano
Steingraeber E-272
C. Bechstein DG

Pretty similar to what you picked John.

Two Steinway D
Steinway B
Bechstein
Upright U4

Here's a screen shot:
http://sonicmusic.net/Pianoteq8.jpg

I tried each and every one of the packs before choosing the 4 allowed with
Pianoteq8 Pro.

Steve Karl used to rave about this program. I can see why and it's only
gotten better thru the years.

John Braner

Jan 7, 2023, 8:48:10 AM1/7/23
On 06/01/2023 19:37, polymod wrote:

> "John Braner"  wrote in message news:tp4sel$2j1nj$1...@dont-email.me...
>
> Hey Poly - which pianos did you pick?
> I've had "Standard" for a while now (since ver 5 or 6) and I love it ;-)
> I've got:
> the two Steinway Model D models
> K2 grand piano
> Steingraeber E-272
> C. Bechstein DG
>

> Pretty similar to what you picked John.
>
> Two Steinway D
> Steinway B
> Bechstein
> Upright U4
>
> Here's a screen shot:
> http://sonicmusic.net/Pianoteq8.jpg
>
> I tried each and every one of the packs before choosing the 4 allowed with Pianoteq8 Pro.
>
> Steve Karl used to rave about this program. I can see why and it's only gotten better thru the years.
>
> Poly

I was interested to hear what you picked Poly ;-)

Pianoteq certainly sounds good to me - but I don't really know doodily squat about mic'ing up real
pianos ;-)

I don't think there's *that big* a difference between the models - especially when the piano part is
buried in a mix ;-)

polymod

Jan 7, 2023, 12:45:16 PM1/7/23

"John Braner" wrote in message news:tpbt6o$3gv8j$1...@dont-email.me...

<snip>

>Pianoteq certainly sounds good to me - but I don't really know doodily
>squat about mic'ing up real pianos ;-)

I think mic'ing pianos is a difficult task to say the least. I had a couple
of piano microphone systems and to me they all sounded like shit. Boxy as
all hell.
Plus I always had to re-tune before every session!

>I don't think there's *that big* a difference between the models

You're right. The Standard version is perfectly adequate. I only opted for
the Pro because of the massive discount I got on the first day of release.
From a Pianoteq forum:
The main difference between Standard and Pro, apart from the 192kHz facility
(which I don't think very many people use except for pro music producers),
is the per-note editing feature. If you get seriously into tweaking piano
models you may eventually feel the benefit of this.

>- especially when the piano part is buried in a mix ;-)

I have plenty of pianos for burying in the mix. God, it's pretty scary when
I think of all the great piano plugins I've acquired over the last few
years.....all of the NI pianos which are many, Ivory, Noire....the list goes
on!
The reason I went for Pianoteq 8 is more for pieces where the piano is
featured and not being buried! It really has impressed me.

Glennbo

Jan 7, 2023, 4:02:23 PM1/7/23
On 1/7/23 11:45, polymod wrote:
> I think mic'ing pianos is a difficult task to say the least. I had a couple of piano microphone systems and to me they all sounded like shit. Boxy as all hell.
> Plus I always had to re-tune before every session!

Back before samplers when I had a Story & Clark Console piano, I used to mic it with the lid open on top, using two Shure SM58s. It sounded great, but I didn't have anything to compare it with except a Yamaha grand that was in the studio my bass player worked at. That Yamaha grand was setup where the keyboard was in a vocal booth, and the body with the strings was in the main studio, so they could isolate between vocal and piano for folks who sing and play at the same time. Anyway, my piano with a couple of mics sounded real good in a mix, but not as good as the Yamaha grand in the 24 track studio.

>> I don't think there's *that big* a difference between the models
>
> You're right. The Standard version is perfectly adequate. I only opted for the Pro because of the massive discount I got on the first day of release.
> From a Pianoteq forum:
> The main difference between Standard and Pro, apart from the 192kHz facility (which I don't think very many people use except for pro music producers), is the per-note editing feature. If you get seriously into tweaking piano models you may eventually feel the benefit of this.
>
>> - especially when the piano part is buried in a mix 😉
>
> I have plenty of pianos for burying in the mix. God, it's pretty scary when I think of all the great piano plugins I've acquired over the last few years.....all of the NI pianos which are many, Ivory, Noire....the list goes on!
> The reason I went for Pianoteq 8 is more for pieces where the piano is featured and not being buried! It really has impressed me.

While I was looking at buying Stage with a couple of piano models, I did a lot of A/B comparisons with my favorite sampled piano, which is a Yamaha grand that was multi-sampled for each and every one of the 88 notes, so no pitch stretching, and I thought by itself that Pianoteq sounded fuller, smoother, but also almost too perfect. The sampled piano by itself sounded good, but not as smooth as Pianoteq. I had Val try Pianoteq and she thought the Steinway D Prelude sounded pretty legit.

I checked out the upright more thoroughly after reading that you liked that one. It sounds great playing "Martha" by the Beatles. If Modartt has another sale, I'll be looking at Stage again, but with the upright as one of the two pianos.

polymod

Jan 7, 2023, 4:46:21 PM1/7/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:tpcmkr$1klg$1...@gioia.aioe.org...

I checked out the upright more thoroughly after reading that you liked that
one. It sounds great playing "Martha" by the Beatles. If Modartt has another
sale, I'll be looking at Stage again, but with the upright as one of the two
pianos.

Absolutely....and I love the little lever that makes the piano go from mint
to piece of shit. The more to the right I shit it the more it sounds like
many of my customer's piece of shit!

John Braner

Jan 8, 2023, 5:28:19 AM1/8/23
On 07/01/2023 17:45, polymod wrote:

>> I don't think there's *that big* a difference between the models
>
> You're right. The Standard version is perfectly adequate. I only opted for the Pro because of the
> massive discount I got on the first day of release.
> From a Pianoteq forum:
> The main difference between Standard and Pro, apart from the 192kHz facility (which I don't think
> very many people use except for pro music producers), is the per-note editing feature. If you get
> seriously into tweaking piano models you may eventually feel the benefit of this.

Oh, I was talking about the differences between models ie between Steinway D and Steingraeber E-272
etc. There *are* some differences, but I bet you could use a little eq to make one sound like the
other ;-)

polymod

Jan 8, 2023, 11:28:14 AM1/8/23

"John Braner" wrote in message news:tpe5s2$3qo28$1...@dont-email.me...

On 07/01/2023 17:45, polymod wrote:

>> I don't think there's *that big* a difference between the models
>
> You're right. The Standard version is perfectly adequate. I only opted for
> the Pro because of the massive discount I got on the first day of release.
> From a Pianoteq forum:
> The main difference between Standard and Pro, apart from the 192kHz
> facility (which I don't think very many people use except for pro music
> producers), is the per-note editing feature. If you get seriously into
> tweaking piano models you may eventually feel the benefit of this.

Oh, I was talking about the differences between models ie between Steinway D
and Steingraeber E-272
etc. There *are* some differences, but I bet you could use a little eq to
make one sound like the
other ;-)

Got it!

Glennbo

Jan 8, 2023, 3:12:13 PM1/8/23
On 1/7/23 15:46, polymod wrote:

> Absolutely....and I love the little lever that makes the piano go from mint to piece of shit. The more to the right I shit it the more it sounds like many of my customer's piece of shit!

Knocking it ever so slightly out, would help with the realism IMO. One of my favorite sampled upright pianos has a little bit of pedal thunk when you let off of the sustain pedal, which gives it an imperfection that adds some realism. Similar to how Superior Drummer has mic bleeds, which I use to do things like make the first rack tom noticeably buzz the snares, with the second tom and floor tom buzzing less and less, just like a real kit of drums will do.

Glennbo

Feb 8, 2023, 8:25:09 PM2/8/23
On 12/29/22 08:34, Glennbo wrote:
> Forgot to mention how cool the wiring is on the miKro. It has a 5-Way switch that turns on or off coils so there are a couple of single coil positions. Here's the chart that shows how the switch affects the pickups.
>
> https://www.ibanez.com/common/product_artist_file/file/puswitch_53.png

So I filed the edges of my frets so they are now smooth all the way up and down the neck, then I put the set of .011 GHS Pure Nickel Rockers on it, and adjusted the bridge both to fix the intonation of the heavier gauge strings, and to lower the action a bunch. Lowering the action made it so all the saddle screws were sticking way up and uncomfortable to the palm of your hand, so today I replaced the 10mm screws with some 8mm ones, and now the action is super low, super easy to play, and no pesky screws sticking out of the bridge.

I am loving the switch selection that gets single coil neck plus single coil bridge. It gets a bright edge that is glassy like a great sounding mic'd acoustic guitar. The guitar also has more tension now with the heavier gauge strings, and plays in tune, even with difficult chords where you might press harder than normal. I am now thinking this might become a first chair guitar for recording.

Glennbo

Feb 8, 2023, 9:05:24 PM2/8/23
On 2/8/23 19:25, Glennbo wrote:
> On 12/29/22 08:34, Glennbo wrote:
>> Forgot to mention how cool the wiring is on the miKro. It has a 5-Way switch that turns on or off coils so there are a couple of single coil positions. Here's the chart that shows how the switch affects the pickups.
>>
>> https://www.ibanez.com/common/product_artist_file/file/puswitch_53.png
>
> So I filed the edges of my frets so they are now smooth all the way up and down the neck, then I put the set of .011 GHS Pure Nickel Rockers on it, and adjusted the bridge both to fix the intonation of the heavier gauge strings, and to lower the action a bunch. Lowering the action made it so all the saddle screws were sticking way up and uncomfortable to the palm of your hand, so today I replaced the 10mm screws with some 8mm ones, and now the action is super low, super easy to play, and no pesky screws sticking out of the bridge.
>
> I am loving the switch selection that gets single coil neck plus single coil bridge. It gets a bright edge that is glassy like a great sounding mic'd acoustic guitar. The guitar also has more tension now with the heavier gauge strings, and plays in tune, even with difficult chords where you might press harder than normal. I am now thinking this might become a first chair guitar for recording.

This is a before and after pic of the bridge. The top part is after changing out the screws only on the low E, and the bottom pic is after changing out the screws on all six saddles.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/14/imgpages/5/4/45205_815908.jpg

Hehe, the before pic has massive dust, where the after pic has moderate dust. :)

polymod

Feb 9, 2023, 6:30:07 AM2/9/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:ts1kd2$e3r2$1...@dont-email.me...
Nice job bro! Nothing worse than that scraping feeling on your palm from
those oversized screws.

Glennbo

Feb 9, 2023, 10:12:12 AM2/9/23
On 2/9/23 05:30, polymod wrote:

> Nice job bro! Nothing worse than that scraping feeling on your palm from those oversized screws.

Before I put the heavier gauge strings on and lowered the action it was okay, but once I dropped the action those friggin hex screws sticking up were driving me crazy. I thought, I'll bet Amazon has shorter screws and after a bit of reading customer reviews figured out I had 10mm screws and 8mm should be perfect.

I'm becoming a luthier in my spare time. :)

polymod

Feb 9, 2023, 11:06:11 AM2/9/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:ts32gb$mtlh$1...@dont-email.me...

On 2/9/23 05:30, polymod wrote:

> Nice job bro! Nothing worse than that scraping feeling on your palm from
> those oversized screws.

Before I put the heavier gauge strings on and lowered the action it was
okay, but once I dropped the action those friggin hex screws sticking up
were driving me crazy. I thought, I'll bet Amazon has shorter screws and
after a bit of reading customer reviews figured out I had 10mm screws and
8mm should be perfect.

I'm becoming a luthier in my spare time. :)

Good for you! That's still one thing I have not messed with. You'd figure a
piano tuner wouldn't have qualms about messing with his guitars.
Maybe it's BECAUSE I'm a tuner that I feel more comfortable taking it to
someone who does it for a living.
There's a jazz guitarist the next town over that bring all my axes to. He's
good and he's cheap. Every guitar I've had him setup plays like butter.

But I commend you for taking on the job!
btw, what gage strings did you go up to?

Glennbo

Feb 9, 2023, 11:47:03 AM2/9/23
On 2/9/23 10:06, polymod wrote:
> "Glennbo"  wrote in message news:ts32gb$mtlh$1...@dont-email.me...
>
> On 2/9/23 05:30, polymod wrote:
>>
>> Nice job bro! Nothing worse than that scraping feeling on your palm from those oversized screws.
>
> Before I put the heavier gauge strings on and lowered the action it was okay, but once I dropped the action those friggin hex screws sticking up were driving me crazy. I thought, I'll bet Amazon has shorter screws and after a bit of reading customer reviews figured out I had 10mm screws and 8mm should be perfect.
>
> I'm becoming a luthier in my spare time. 😄
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Good for you! That's still one thing I have not messed with. You'd figure a piano tuner wouldn't have qualms about messing with his guitars.
> Maybe it's BECAUSE I'm a tuner that I feel more comfortable taking it to someone who does it for a living.
> There's a jazz guitarist the next town over that bring all my axes to. He's good and he's cheap. Every guitar I've had him setup plays like butter.

We recently lost a world class luthier who decided to retire, and so far none of my musician friends have found anyone they feel is as competent. I've tweaked the bridges on most of my guitars and basses (didn't need to on the Epi SG though), but I was able to lower the action on the 3/4 guitar so much that the screws began to stick out and bother me as much as the frets that I just fixed.

> But I commend you for taking on the job!

It's a $169 guitar, so I can practice on it, in more than the usual ways. ;)

> btw, what gage strings did you go up to?

I put this set on it.

https://www.amazon.com/GHS-Strings-BNR-M-Burnished-011-050/dp/B0002F6JHG/ref=sr_1_6?crid=17RXG3TRWSPTE&keywords=ghs+pure+nickel+.011&qid=1675960834&sprefix=ghs+pure+nickel+.011%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-6

I'm liking the pure nickel strings a lot and have put them on my Gibson L6S and Epi SG, but the normal .010 gauge on the full scale instruments.

The heavier gauge strings on a 3/4 scale guitar are still slinky and feel about like playing a full scale with a set of .010s. That guitar is so fun to play I'm learning new stuff every day. It inspires me to play, which is exactly the reason I bought it. :)

Max Arwood

Feb 16, 2023, 2:36:15 AM2/16/23
"Glennbo" wrote in message news:ts1i1j$d94l$4...@dont-email.me...
I love the new screws! Very good job.
Max Arwood

Glennbo

Feb 16, 2023, 4:15:32 PM2/16/23
On 2/16/23 01:36, Max Arwood wrote:
> So I filed the edges of my frets so they are now smooth all the way up and down the neck, then I put the set of .011 GHS Pure Nickel Rockers on it, and adjusted the bridge both to fix the intonation of the heavier gauge strings, and to lower the action a bunch. Lowering the action made it so all the saddle screws were sticking way up and uncomfortable to the palm of your hand, so today I replaced the 10mm screws with some 8mm ones, and now the action is super low, super easy to play, and no pesky screws sticking out of the bridge.
>
> I am loving the switch selection that gets single coil neck plus single coil bridge. It gets a bright edge that is glassy like a great sounding mic'd acoustic guitar. The guitar also has more tension now with the heavier gauge strings, and plays in tune, even with difficult chords where you might press harder than normal. I am now thinking this might become a first chair guitar for recording.

> I love the new screws! Very good job.

Thanks Max. I'm learning how to tweak my guitars myself. Messing with a high gain solo tone yesterday, I found I was getting an unwanted metallic sound, and ended up raising the D and G saddles a smidge, which required moving the saddles back a bit to be in tune at the octave. I knew in advance that raising the string a bit would make it be sharp at the octave, but it was a quick and easy adjustment. :)