Finally put a Bigsby on my SG guitar

Glennbo

Mar 23, 2023, 3:39:38 PM3/23/23
A couple of years ago I bought an Epiphone SG with the intent to put a Bigsby tailpiece on it so it would be similar to the SG that Joey used on most of the songs of mine he played on. I always loved that guitar, and he would use the Bigsby to do those Alan Holdsworth type bends where you press the whammy, hit a note and then come up to pitch by releasing the tremolo bar. Anyway, two plus years later, and I finally put one on my SG.

The installation of the Vibramate adapter was a breeze. Took all the strings off, pulled the original tailpiece and screws off, put the Vibramate and flush screws on, then four screws through the Bigsby into the Vibramate adapter, and I was ready to string it up. I lubricated all the bridge saddles and the nut, strung it up and stretched out the new strings with a lot of excessive bending. Now that the strings are stretched out, it comes back in tune every time after playing around with the wham bar. :)

Here's a pic of Joey with his $10,000+ 1969 Gibson SG with factory installed Bigsby.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/21/imgpages/5/4/45205_816417.jpg

And here's my $350 Epiphone SG with $220 Bigsby and Vibramate adapter installed.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/70/imgpages/5/4/45205_816416.jpg

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __

John Braner

Mar 24, 2023, 9:03:24 AM3/24/23
On 23/03/2023 19:39, Glennbo wrote:
> A couple of years ago I bought an Epiphone SG with the intent to put a Bigsby tailpiece on it so it
> would be similar to the SG that Joey used on most of the songs of mine he played on. I always loved
> that guitar, and he would use the Bigsby to do those Alan Holdsworth type bends where you press the
> whammy, hit a note and then come up to pitch by releasing the tremolo bar. Anyway, two plus years
> later, and I finally put one on my SG.
>
> The installation of the Vibramate adapter was a breeze. Took all the strings off, pulled the
> original tailpiece and screws off, put the Vibramate and flush screws on, then four screws through
> the Bigsby into the Vibramate adapter, and I was ready to string it up. I lubricated all the bridge
> saddles and the nut, strung it up and stretched out the new strings with a lot of excessive bending.
> Now that the strings are stretched out, it comes back in tune every time after playing around with
> the wham bar. :)
>
> Here's a pic of Joey with his $10,000+ 1969 Gibson SG with factory installed Bigsby.
>
> https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/21/imgpages/5/4/45205_816417.jpg
>
> And here's my $350 Epiphone SG with $220 Bigsby and Vibramate adapter installed.
>
> https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/70/imgpages/5/4/45205_816416.jpg

nice! ;-)

--
===========
John Braner

http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
https://johnbraner.bandcamp.com/
and all the major streaming/download sites.

polymod

Mar 24, 2023, 10:57:14 AM3/24/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:tvi9to$19c8k$1...@dont-email.me...

[...]

Sweet! Nice job bro.

Joe's axe looks pretty sweet also :-)

Poly

Glennbo

Mar 24, 2023, 12:02:50 PM3/24/23
On 3/24/23 08:03, John Braner wrote:
>> A couple of years ago I bought an Epiphone SG with the intent to put a Bigsby tailpiece on it so it would be similar to the SG that Joey used on most of the songs of mine he played on. I always loved that guitar, and he would use the Bigsby to do those Alan Holdsworth type bends where you press the whammy, hit a note and then come up to pitch by releasing the tremolo bar. Anyway, two plus years later, and I finally put one on my SG.
>>
>> The installation of the Vibramate adapter was a breeze. Took all the strings off, pulled the original tailpiece and screws off, put the Vibramate and flush screws on, then four screws through the Bigsby into the Vibramate adapter, and I was ready to string it up. I lubricated all the bridge saddles and the nut, strung it up and stretched out the new strings with a lot of excessive bending. Now that the strings are stretched out, it comes back in tune every time after playing around with the wham bar. 😄
>>
>> Here's a pic of Joey with his $10,000+ 1969 Gibson SG with factory installed Bigsby.
>>
>> https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/21/imgpages/5/4/45205_816417.jpg
>>
>> And here's my $350 Epiphone SG with $220 Bigsby and Vibramate adapter installed.
>>
>> https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/70/imgpages/5/4/45205_816416.jpg
>>

> nice! 😉

Thanks John. I'm digging the sound of bringing the first chord up from below pitch in a progression and adding slight vibrato on the ending chord. It gives it a little bit of animation that makes it more interesting to listen to.

Glennbo

Mar 24, 2023, 12:17:47 PM3/24/23
On 3/24/23 09:57, polymod wrote:
> A couple of years ago I bought an Epiphone SG with the intent to put a Bigsby tailpiece on it so it would be similar to the SG that Joey used on most of the songs of mine he played on. I always loved that guitar, and he would use the Bigsby to do those Alan Holdsworth type bends where you press the whammy, hit a note and then come up to pitch by releasing the tremolo bar. Anyway, two plus years later, and I finally put one on my SG.
>
> The installation of the Vibramate adapter was a breeze. Took all the strings off, pulled the original tailpiece and screws off, put the Vibramate and flush screws on, then four screws through the Bigsby into the Vibramate adapter, and I was ready to string it up. I lubricated all the bridge saddles and the nut, strung it up and stretched out the new strings with a lot of excessive bending. Now that the strings are stretched out, it comes back in tune every time after playing around with the wham bar. 😄
>
> Here's a pic of Joey with his $10,000+ 1969 Gibson SG with factory installed Bigsby.
>
> https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/21/imgpages/5/4/45205_816417.jpg
>
> And here's my $350 Epiphone SG with $220 Bigsby and Vibramate adapter installed.
>
> https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/70/imgpages/5/4/45205_816416.jpg

> Sweet! Nice job bro.

Thanks Larry. When I bought my SG two years ago (same time as you bought your Les Paul) my plan was to put a Bigsby tailpiece on it like Joey's. It just took me a couple years to follow through with it.

> Joe's axe looks pretty sweet also 😄

He used that guitar on almost everything he recorded in my studio. The very few where he wasn't using his SG were times when he used his Gretsch jazz guitar. On one song, he broke a string on his SG halfway through recording, so he grabbed my Gibson L6S to finish the track.

polymod

Mar 25, 2023, 10:48:25 AM3/25/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:tvkif9$1o1sv$1...@dont-email.me...
Now that's a real pro!

Glennbo

Mar 25, 2023, 4:25:18 PM3/25/23
On 3/25/23 09:48, polymod wrote:
>> Joe's axe looks pretty sweet also 😄
>
> He used that guitar on almost everything he recorded in my studio. The very few where he wasn't using his SG were times when he used his Gretsch jazz guitar. On one song, he broke a string on his SG halfway through recording, so he grabbed my Gibson L6S to finish the track.

> Now that's a real pro!

They were similar enough sounding, even though Joey's SG had Gibson PAFs IIRC, and my L6S has Bill Lawrence designed pickups (he actually designed the whole guitar).

When we played the track back where the switch happened, you couldn't tell it was a different guitar, but then Joey's playing had a lot to do with it too. :)