vid/song: Starlike

polymod

Feb 1, 2023, 11:01:26 AM2/1/23
A short spacey piece made primarily with a Fender Rhodes going thru a
SuperMassive verb. As the playing intensified it eventually turned into a
wall of sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1omO-rbTnI

I am thrilled that It will be used in an astronomy show "Cosmic Perspective
Radio" run by my customer and friend Andy Poniros.
http://lift-off.us/

Poly

polymod

Feb 1, 2023, 11:07:45 AM2/1/23

http://lift-off.us/

link is pretty dated and most of it is non functioning, but his show lives
on!

Glennbo

Feb 1, 2023, 1:38:35 PM2/1/23
On 2/1/23 10:01, polymod wrote:
> A short spacey piece made primarily with a Fender Rhodes going thru a SuperMassive verb. As the playing intensified it eventually turned into a wall of sound.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1omO-rbTnI

Definitely sounds spacey. Your Rhodes and playing evoke a twinkling stars image.

In a similar vein to Chick Corea's "twinkling" on this Jimmie Spheeris song. Stanley Clark is on bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y6GRol5Gic

> I am thrilled that It will be used in an astronomy show "Cosmic Perspective Radio" run by my customer and friend Andy Poniros.
> http://lift-off.us/

Looks like this is maybe where the show airs.

https://wpkn.org/wpkn-programming/cosmic-perspective/

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __

polymod

Feb 1, 2023, 5:30:53 PM2/1/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:trebj9$f2co$1...@dont-email.me...

On 2/1/23 10:01, polymod wrote:
> A short spacey piece made primarily with a Fender Rhodes going thru a
> SuperMassive verb. As the playing intensified it eventually turned into a
> wall of sound.

> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1omO-rbTnI
>Definitely sounds spacey. Your Rhodes and playing evoke a twinkling stars
>image

Nothing sounds like a Rhodes. They've come close, and I have some pretty
good spot on emulations, but there's something about digging into the action
of these things.

>In a similar vein to Chick Corea's "twinkling" on this Jimmie Spheeris
>song. Stanley Clark is on bass.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y6GRol5Gic

Wow....that's a real nice song. And one I've never heard. Very different
style of music for Chick to be playing on, but it's beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y6GRol5Gic

>Looks like this is maybe where the show airs.
>https://wpkn.org/wpkn-programming/cosmic-perspective/

Thanks. Andy worked in the hospital for many years fixing all the medical
equipment. But he's always had a mad passion for the stars and has built
himself up to the point where he's met just about every astronaut/big shots
in the business.

Poly

Glennbo

Feb 1, 2023, 10:39:23 PM2/1/23
On 2/1/23 16:30, polymod wrote:
> On 2/1/23 10:01, polymod wrote:
>> A short spacey piece made primarily with a Fender Rhodes going thru a SuperMassive verb. As the playing intensified it eventually turned into a wall of sound.
>
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1omO-rbTnI
>> Definitely sounds spacey. Your Rhodes and playing evoke a twinkling stars image
>
> Nothing sounds like a Rhodes. They've come close, and I have some pretty good spot on emulations, but there's something about digging into the action of these things.

I remember all the local players getting their Rhodes Dyno'ed in the 80s, which IIRC made them even more bellish sounding.

>> In a similar vein to Chick Corea's "twinkling" on this Jimmie Spheeris song. Stanley Clark is on bass.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y6GRol5Gic
>
> Wow....that's a real nice song.  And one I've never heard. Very different style of music for Chick to be playing on, but it's beautiful.

Jimmie Spheeris is who Joey toured with, and how he bumped into then got to jam with Chick Corea, who told him he was pretty good for a blues player. :)

Another Spheeris song you might like with Chick Corea playing. He created some great music before getting killed one morning taking a ride on his motorcycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Kw8b-0kjo

>> Looks like this is maybe where the show airs.
>> https://wpkn.org/wpkn-programming/cosmic-perspective/
>
> Thanks. Andy worked in the hospital for many years fixing all the medical equipment. But he's always had a mad passion for the stars and has built himself up to the point where he's met just about every astronaut/big shots in the business.

That's cool that he's gotten to hook up with all those folks.

John Braner

Feb 2, 2023, 5:09:42 AM2/2/23
On 01/02/2023 16:01, polymod wrote:
> A short spacey piece made primarily with a Fender Rhodes going thru a SuperMassive verb. As the
> playing intensified it eventually turned into a wall of sound.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1omO-rbTnI

Very nice! The shimmer verb is perfect ;-)

> I am thrilled that It will be used in an astronomy show "Cosmic Perspective Radio" run by my
> customer and friend Andy Poniros.
> http://lift-off.us/
>
> Poly

I'm not even looking in to this since I'm in th eUK and I don't watch TV anyway (well, except for
the news at night)

--
===========
John Braner

http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
https://johnbraner.bandcamp.com/
and all the major streaming/download sites.

polymod

Feb 2, 2023, 12:37:23 PM2/2/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:trfb98$n77o$1...@dont-email.me...

> >Nothing sounds like a Rhodes. They've come close, and I have some pretty
> >good spot on emulations, but there's something about digging into the
> >action of these things.
>I remember all the local players getting their Rhodes Dyno'ed in the 80s,
>which IIRC made them even more bellish sounding.

I do remember that. My puppy is in virgin territory. It's never been worked
on with the exception of a tuning tweak here and there, and some tine
adjustments.
I've always felt that I had a "good" one and never wanted to mess with it.

>Another Spheeris song you might like with Chick Corea playing. He created
>some great music before getting killed one morning taking a ride on his
>motorcycle.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Kw8b-0kjo

Nice!!! I don't know why I've never heard of this guy. Maybe it's a
geographic thing?
Sort of reminds me of a progressive version of Al Stewart.

polymod

Feb 2, 2023, 12:39:25 PM2/2/23

"John Braner" wrote in message news:trg253$qr2m$1...@dont-email.me...

On 01/02/2023 16:01, polymod wrote:
>> A short spacey piece made primarily with a Fender Rhodes going thru a
>> SuperMassive verb. As the playing intensified it eventually turned into a
>> wall of sound.
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1omO-rbTnI

>Very nice! The shimmer verb is perfect ;-)

I've very fond of Valhalla's SuperMassive reverb.

>> I am thrilled that It will be used in an astronomy show "Cosmic
>> Perspective Radio" run by my customer and friend Andy Poniros.
>> http://lift-off.us/

>I'm not even looking in to this since I'm in th eUK and I don't watch TV
>anyway (well, except for the news at night)

Well, you don't have to watch it on TV because it's a radio show ;-)

Poly

John Braner

Feb 2, 2023, 2:46:52 PM2/2/23
On 02/02/2023 17:39, polymod wrote:

> "John Braner"  wrote in message news:trg253$qr2m$1...@dont-email.me...
>
> On 01/02/2023 16:01, polymod wrote:
>>> A short spacey piece made primarily with a Fender Rhodes going thru a SuperMassive verb. As the
>>> playing intensified it eventually turned into a wall of sound.
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1omO-rbTnI
>
>> Very nice! The shimmer verb is perfect ;-)
>
> I've very fond of Valhalla's SuperMassive reverb.
>
>>> I am thrilled that It will be used in an astronomy show "Cosmic Perspective Radio" run by my
>>> customer and friend Andy Poniros.
>>> http://lift-off.us/
>
>> I'm not even looking in to this since I'm in th eUK and I don't watch TV anyway (well, except for
>> the news at night)
>
> Well, you don't have to watch it on TV because it's a radio show ;-)
>
> Poly

Ahh, well in that case, I'll have to check it out ;-)

Glennbo

Feb 2, 2023, 3:44:24 PM2/2/23
On 2/2/23 11:37, polymod wrote:
>> >Nothing sounds like a Rhodes. They've come close, and I have some pretty >good spot on emulations, but there's something about digging into the >action of these things.
>> I remember all the local players getting their Rhodes Dyno'ed in the 80s, which IIRC made them even more bellish sounding.
>
> I do remember that. My puppy is in virgin territory. It's never been worked on with the exception of a tuning tweak here and there, and some tine adjustments.
> I've always felt that I had a "good" one and never wanted to mess with it.

I would bet that a Dyno'd Rhodes would sound stoopid now, like the dead sounding toms from that same time period. You were smart to leave yours alone.

>> Another Spheeris song you might like with Chick Corea playing. He created some great music before getting killed one morning taking a ride on his motorcycle.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Kw8b-0kjo
>
> Nice!!! I don't know why I've never heard of this guy. Maybe it's a geographic thing?
> Sort of reminds me of a progressive version of Al Stewart.

An album worth checking out is Isle of View and in particular the song "I am the Mercury".

polymod

Feb 3, 2023, 6:27:16 AM2/3/23

"Glennbo" wrote in message news:trh7b6$11o1j$1...@dont-email.me...

>> Nice!!! I don't know why I've never heard of this guy. Maybe it's a
>> geographic thing?
>> Sort of reminds me of a progressive version of Al Stewart.

>An album worth checking out is Isle of View and in particular the song "I
>am the Mercury".

I WILL check it out! I like discovering music that was there when I wasn't
;-)

polymod

Feb 3, 2023, 6:27:50 AM2/3/23

"John Braner" wrote in message news:trh3va$117mn$1...@dont-email.me...

On 02/02/2023 17:39, polymod wrote:

> "John Braner" wrote in message news:trg253$qr2m$1...@dont-email.me...
>
> On 01/02/2023 16:01, polymod wrote:
>>> A short spacey piece made primarily with a Fender Rhodes going thru a
>>> SuperMassive verb. As the playing intensified it eventually turned into
>>> a wall of sound.
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1omO-rbTnI
>
>> Very nice! The shimmer verb is perfect ;-)
>
> I've very fond of Valhalla's SuperMassive reverb.
>
>>> I am thrilled that It will be used in an astronomy show "Cosmic
>>> Perspective Radio" run by my customer and friend Andy Poniros.
>>> http://lift-off.us/
>
>> I'm not even looking in to this since I'm in th eUK and I don't watch TV
>> anyway (well, except for the news at night)
>
> Well, you don't have to watch it on TV because it's a radio show ;-)

LOL!!!

Max Arwood

Feb 8, 2023, 4:25:50 AM2/8/23
Wow that was WAY too short! Thanks for posting this.
I love synth stuff and you are truly a master!
Max Arwood

polymod

Feb 8, 2023, 11:31:32 AM2/8/23

"Max Arwood" wrote in message news:trvpqs$49g4$1...@dont-email.me...

Wow that was WAY too short! Thanks for posting this.
I love synth stuff and you are truly a master!
Max Arwood

Thanks for the kind words Max!
Maybe this could be part of a longer piece. Hmmmm.....
:-)

Poly