MIDI Plug-ins?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Steinar Apalnes

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
Why can't you make plug-ins for MIDI tracks as well? I'm talking about
realitme quantization, MIDI echo, layering (make the same track output to
several outputs and ports), realtime arpeggiator, realtime converting of
MIDI events, etc…

This is what made Bars & Pipes for the Amiga so great. All though they
called it "Tools" but it's the thing.

Another thing is that you could put it in front so you could record MIDI
events altered by the plug-ins.

In my head this sounds to be easy to implement compared to AudioPlugins and
it would make Cakewalk a MUCH more powerful composing tool.

Any thoughts?

--
steinar

Ray Yates

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
to Steinar Apalnes
What a wonderful idea! I hope soneone high up a Cakewalk reads this. Excelent
Steinar! I could use this as well!!!

Ray Yates

frank_basile

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
Steinar and Ray,
Midi Plug-ins are definitely on the way for Cakewalk...Stay tuned.

Thank You,
Frank Basile
Cakewalk Technical Support

Steinar Apalnes

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Great!! Can't wait...:)

--
steinar

Frank Basile wrote in article <6o9ab6$o...@hope.harvard.net>...

David A. Fenton

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Greg Hendershott alluded to MIDI Plug-ins a few months before CWPA 6.0
shipped. So I expect to see them soon.

Maybe this is what Morten is just dying to tell us.

df

--
-------------------------
David A. Fenton

Jack Deckard

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
I'll add my voice saying that Bars and Pipes was one very nice MIDI
sequencer, and what made it so useful was the realtime 'MIDI Plugins'. If
you have never seen this program, you missed something great. It's a real
good model on how MIDI plugins should be done.

- Jack
(just finally starting to use audio on CW 5.01, looking around for tips on
how to go from recorded tracks in CW to a burnt CD)

Michael Elliott

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
I still use B&P on an emulator on my pc, as well as on my A500, for
things that CW can't do!

I LOVE the midi routing you can do with B&P--I record live, and I hate
to miss creating something because I didn't have some effect loaded
realtime, and had to do it later....

If CW really wants to do it right, they should look at the "pipes"
that B&P uses, and try that out, or something similar, where you can
just drop in a box for splitting the notes at C4, a pipe for sending
the high split to track 5, a merge for tracks 2 and 3, etc.

If you guys at CW don't know what B&P is, you can download the
PC/AMIGA emulator shareware (UAE, I think) and then the B&P itself
(freeware to Compuserve members), and take a look at what somethng
older than CW could do. (even if the Amiga itself crashed alot with
low memory....it was only 1mb!!!)

Mo Weston

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Michael Elliott wrote:

> I still use B&P on an emulator on my pc, as well as on my A500, for
> things that CW can't do!
>
> I LOVE the midi routing you can do with B&P--I record live, and I hate
> to miss creating something because I didn't have some effect loaded
> realtime, and had to do it later....
>
> If CW really wants to do it right, they should look at the "pipes"
> that B&P uses, and try that out, or something similar, where you can
> just drop in a box for splitting the notes at C4, a pipe for sending
> the high split to track 5, a merge for tracks 2 and 3, etc.
>
> If you guys at CW don't know what B&P is, you can download the
> PC/AMIGA emulator shareware (UAE, I think) and then the B&P itself
> (freeware to Compuserve members), and take a look at what somethng
> older than CW could do. (even if the Amiga itself crashed alot with
> low memory....it was only 1mb!!!)

AHHHH! fond memories of a lost era....Shame CBM went NAP... I used to be
the distributer for CBM before the Gulf War..Used Bars & Pipes Pro on an
Ami 4000.. I migrated reluctantly to Peecee's when I realized all hope of
a AMIGA comback was lost!
I'm sure having loadsa fun with Cakewalk! and, with all the advances in
cpu speed, co pro cards etc.. it seems the PC today is approching where
the AMIGA was 10 years ago!!!

Flash! OUCH! who's flamin' me???

L8er.. Mo Weston JHP Q8

BTW as a footnote I heard that Microsoft purchased the old "Software
Toolworks" wonder if they'll release a PC version of B&P???!!!

Michael Elliott

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
No, Microsponge won't release BP on the PC, but they DID give the
Amgia version away as freeware, on compuserve (and on a few webpages
i've seen too). There is even an Emulator (UAE or WinUAE) to run
Amiga programs on your PC. Runs pretty well on a 200+mhz Pentium,
even with Win95 in the way!

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 08:12:01 -0700, Mo Weston <jin...@ncc.moc.kw>

Tillman Cuttino

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
You guys do know that Gateway 2000 bought Amiga about a year ago, don't you?

Still haven't seen any sign from it, though.

--
Tillman Cuttino
tcu...@clemson.edu

Joel Braverman

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Please please please just extend CAL with a real-time functionality. Of
course, you probably will have to make CAL a compiled language, instead of
interpreted, but the potential here is just awesome. Before you go down some
other path that limits midi plugins to C++ developers, please consider this
as a long term strategy.

Joel

Joel Braverman

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
It was apparantly made by Blue Ribbon Soundworks, and yes, was purchased by
MS. Software Toolworks is now Mindscape Corporation, and we were just bought
(from Pearson UK) a few months ago by The Learning Company, (which I think
was bought by SoftKey) which also bought our biggest competitor Broderbund
a few weeks ago, making Mindscape bigger than MS in the educational software
market share. Big fish eat little fish and grow.

Joel

Ted Perlman

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98

<Midi Plug-ins are definitely on the way for Cakewalk...Stay tuned.>

I'm still tuned for the "event filtered all-controllers off" option /
non-destructive quantization / editing and saving without stopping play /
record starton midi input / and selectable count-ins of less than one
measure. You guys really don't give a fuck, do you?

Ted Perlman

Morten Saether

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98

>measure. You guys really don't give a f***, do you?

Ted,

Again, no official features have been announced yet, so why the defensive
tone? If/when Cakewalk supports MIDI plug-ins, then we would have addressed
one of your requests:

Midi Plug-ins = non-destructive editing (quantization, etc.)

Cheer up!

Best Regards,

Morten Saether
http://www.cakewalk.com

Donny H. Grace

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
to Ted Perlman
Ted Perlman wrote:

> <Midi Plug-ins are definitely on the way for Cakewalk...Stay tuned.>
>
> I'm still tuned for the "event filtered all-controllers off" option /

I would like to be able to stop killing the stereo pans (P) on Proteus.

> non-destructive quantization /

Agree. Can't begin to imagine how many extra, muted tracks I have due to not
having this one.

> editing and saving without stopping play /

You're right. Logic has been doing this even with audio for sometime now.

> record starton midi input / and selectable count-ins of less than one
> measure.

They've given you 0 beats. So now for spite, they'll probably give you 1 and
3 beat count-ins <g>

_____________________
Donny H. Grace
GraceFull Productions

Ted Perlman

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
<why the defensive tone?...Cheer up>

If you go out with a girl and you ask her repeatedly to please wear a
certain perfume because it makes you feel good, and she NEVER does, then
you're going to start thinking, hmm, maybe she doesn't give a "fuck"? and
perhaps I should find a different girlfriend. Especially if your friend
shows up one day, tells her how much he loves "Chloe", and she arrives
reeking in it the next morning.

I hope you get out in the real world often enough to understand my analogy.
If not, I can make it real mean and lean but alas, there'll be a lot more
4-letter words.

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98

<for spite, they'll probably give you 1 and 3 beat count-ins>

I'd take 'em!

Best,

Ted Perlman

Joel Braverman

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
Morten, I really think that Midi Plug-ins should be a separate feature from
"non destructive quantize", two beat count off, etc. A midi plug in would be
a real time midi processing script that the user compiles and uses as a midi
track insert, or "send" just like direct X. The Midi Plugin is really a
place for the user to put in their own or 3rd party midi processing
application for altering the stream of midi data before it gets to the midi
out port.

What Ted is asking for are separate features that should not be handled as a
plugin. Non-destructive Quantize should be built into the quantize menu, or
a check box on each track, something like that. Two beat count off would be
a numeric input in the count-off box on the metronome dialog box.

Midi plug-ins means opening up the midi part of cakewalk to user and 3rd
party programs. The ability to USE plugins is the feature.

Think about this - If you just put in Ted's requested features (how about in
7.5?) you won't ever have to hear him bitch about them again. I think they
are excellent suggestions anyway, and if your team of crack programmers can
crank out a 7.01 upgrade, they should be able to crank out the Ted Perlman
special edition pretty damn fast too.

Cake 8.0 can wait anyway - you guys really really really really should take
your time with the next version, no more rushing to get products out.

Joel

Joel

Ted Perlman

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
<they're in danger of suddenly being left in the dust>

If they don't put some of things in that's where my copy of Cakewalk is
going to be......

Ted Perlman

Randy Hammon

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
>Think about this - If you just put in Ted's requested features (how about
in
>7.5?) you won't ever have to hear him bitch about them again. I think they
>are excellent suggestions anyway, and if your team of crack programmers can
>crank out a 7.01 upgrade, they should be able to crank out the Ted Perlman
>special edition pretty damn fast too.

I'd pay extra for a "signed" Ted Perlman Special Edition, Cakewalk 7.22, the
pro audio deluxe edition would have that Ted Toolbox with
actual audio clips of listening to ted's cake rap expletives! And they'd be
royalty free!

>Cake 8.0 can wait anyway - you guys really really really really should take
>your time with the next version, no more rushing to get products out.

Joel, that sounds good but...
this is such a competitive, volatile market that unless they go at anything
other than barely under the speed of light they're in
danger of suddenly being left in the dust.

-randy

>Joel
>
>Joel

Ted Perlman

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98

<If they don't put some of "those" things in that's where my copy of

Cakewalk is
going to be......>

I forgot to include the word "those".

There, now my post is much better. <g>

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
<Have they ever surveyed users to find out what features are the most useful
and what Cake users would like to see in upcoming versions?>

I think they ask all the "beta testers what they think, and whatever
suggestions match what they've already developed, they "announce".

Ted Perlman

Scott Vita

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
The Ted Toolbox......sounds like a winner to me!

Ted's suggestions do make an awful lot of sense.

I am curious as to how new features are chosen. I've only been using Cake
since February. Have they ever surveyed users to find out what features are

the most useful and what Cake users would like to see in upcoming versions?

I would think this would be most helpful. This survey would be best done via
snail mail to all registered users so that nobody misses out.

Scott Vita
sv...@att.net

Ted Perlman

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
<I think they are excellent suggestions anyway>

What drives me up the friggin' wall is that they continually avoid putting
any of my suggestions in, year after year. Then they rag on me for bitching.
Joel, I appreciate your support. I know they are good, viable suggestions
because, as I've continually stated, Logic and Cubase have put ALL of them
into their programs. Now, I did not know that they were going to do this, as
I've never suggested them to either company. And until recently, didn't know
dick about using either program, since I was a loyal, "dedicated follower of
Cakewalk" (slight quote from Ray Davies never hurt anything...<g>). But
someone else obviously thought the same thing. Why Cakewalk has continued to
ignore ALL of my ideas regarding midi while foaming at the mouth over any
half assed idea that comes in from someone with 2 days experience in C++ is
a mystery to me. But those mixer views sure are pretty, aren't they? <g>

The midi plug-ins idea is another classic example of what does not go on at
that company. They would spend all their time putting a new coat of paint on
the garage door instead of putting in a new engine.

Peace,

Ted Perlman

Joel Braverman

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
Yeah, theres a product idea "Ted's Toolbox " parental advisory [expletive
deleted] commitee warning - use of these [expletive deleted] tools by minors
may result in permanant psychological damage to their unformed brains, and
heart attacks in people over 60. Please use discretion.

I have no doubt there would be a market for it - each sample preceded by "a
one, a two and" for easy sampling.

Joel

Joel Braverman

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
Ted, quoting Ray Davies hurts everyone.

Joel

Johnny Smooth

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98

Joel Braverman wrote in message <6olvr2$s...@hope.harvard.net>...

>Ted, quoting Ray Davies hurts everyone.
>
>Joel

But Ted *singing* Ray Davies has to be better than
Ray Davies singing Ray Davies... :)

Ted, in spite of the seeming lack of response from CW, I
hope you and others don't abandon ship. The loss of
valuable input from "full-timers" like you, guys who are
kicking the tires day in and day out, can only be
bad for CW.

John

Steve Leigh

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
I stopped in at our local used-music emporium late last night - I'm
talkin about the place that actually SELLS old Scully 8 tracks, those
monster rolling boom stands, (yeah, the kind with the 16' reach), 2"
Stephens editing blocks, etc. etc. Damn if they didn't have a 1970's
TED'S TOOLBOX in excellent condition! This one contained a wired remote
for a Revox A-77, a bunch of patch cords, several of which were open
ground, one of those OOOLDD Radio Shack mini-multi-meters, a few rolls
(assorted colors) of sticky electrical tape, 2 straight blade
"Compliments of Wally's Discount Tires" screwdrivers, and many more
items, too numerous to mention! <VBG>

I didn't buy it, OR the Ampex 8 track that the dude *SWORE* Jimi Hendrix
never left home without.

Ted Perlman

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
<monster rolling boom stands, (yeah, the kind with the 16' reach),>

I need another one. Ask them what they want for it, please.

Thanks,

Ted Perlman

Mo Weston

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
Joel Braverman wrote:

> Ted, quoting Ray Davies hurts everyone.
>
> Joel

HMMMPHFFF ! better to quote Ray Than 'Cat' Stevens !!! hehehehe
ORRR worst still Donovan ! ( call me mellow yellow twice nightly!)
Kinky Kinks rule,, oh Yea! all day and all of the night!

L8er, Mo Weston JHP Q8

Ted Perlman

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
<'Cat' Stevens>

Well Mo, ooh baby, you do know it's a "wild world, and hard to get by with
just a smile....."

Ted Perlman

Mo Weston

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98

HMMMM ! To Damn wild for 'Cat' he's now 'Yousef Islam' and wants to
forget about his crooning past.

Rock on Tommy!

L8er
Mo Weston JHP Q8

Geardo

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
This is what LOGIC makes so great. I have made the experience that one
sequencer doesn't do it all. I bought VST and Logic (and Cakewalk
naturally). Not that this should be the solution, but you are absolutely
right: Cakewalk does a lot of questionable audio features, while leaving
alone the MIDI features. Most of your requirements are working in LOGIC.

Please don't hit me because I'm using several sequencers. I'm sure
TwelveTone is already looking into the competition's features. But are you
really sure, you want all these new features ? Take a look at LOGIC, a
program that makes you a programmer of your environment. Do you actually
want that ? Most LOGIC users come from Cakewalk and go back to Cakewalk,
because they don't want the implications of all the complicated settings

Cakewalk is a Cakewalk, because it's easy to use and it's the only PC
Sequencer, where everything works out of the box. VST and LOGIC give you
much more functionality but they don't work as you would expect them to
work.

So, if you want Cakewalk to become a tough, complicated package, just go on
adding features and you end up with a problem package like VST or LOGIC.
Give it time. Cakewalk is the only package with real EASINESS included.
Don't try to destroy that. Eventually, Cakewalk will cover all our needs
anyway. But it needs time to do it the right way, to keep it a Cakewalk.

Certainly, you are right to demand certain features. But let's concentrate
on what's really important and makes sense, before we spend our money.
Emagic is a team of programming enthusiasts, I know some of the guys, they
are geniuses, they have great concepts in their heads, they will give you
all the technology before it's even possible to apply it.

Cakewalk is an easy package, low-priced, mass-marked, it would destroy
their concept if they would start integrating high-end features before the
common environments support its functions. Eventually there will be the
ultimate Cakewalk. But be patient and let's wait until it is REASONABLE to
implement certain features, rather than doing whatever is technologically
possible.

Geardo

Steinar Apalnes <sta...@online.no> wrote in article
<01bdacfc$c7101d20$0100007f@genesisnt>...
> Why can't you make plug-ins for MIDI tracks as well? I'm talking about
> realitme quantization, MIDI echo, layering (make the same track output to
> several outputs and ports), realtime arpeggiator, realtime converting of
> MIDI events, etc…
>
> This is what made Bars & Pipes for the Amiga so great. All though they
> called it "Tools" but it's the thing.
>
> Another thing is that you could put it in front so you could record MIDI
> events altered by the plug-ins.
>
> In my head this sounds to be easy to implement compared to AudioPlugins
and
> it would make Cakewalk a MUCH more powerful composing tool.
>

> Any thoughts?
>

> --
> steinar

Ted Perlman

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
<Rock on Tommy!>

Who is Tommy? We weren't talking about anybody named Tommy. Are you getting
too much sun? <g>

Ted Perlman

Joel Braverman

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
Tommy is the pinball wiz...

The cat got off the peace train and onto the warpath. Oh well, Bob Dylan was
"born again" for a while. He still said "fuck". Then there was that song,
recent I think, where Bob he says that HE is the messiah. I believe him.

Joel

Ted Perlman

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
<Most of your requirements are working in LOGIC>

Oh really?

<I'm sure TwelveTone is already looking into the competition's features.>

If that were true than they would have understood what I've been asking for
all these years.

<Most LOGIC users come from Cakewalk and go back to Cakewalk>

Not me.

<Eventually, Cakewalk will cover all our needs anyway>

Sure, when we don't need them anymore.

Your post implying that people are not quite capable or smart is one of the
most arrogant and condescending statements I have ever read. To think that
only "simple-minded" people are using Cakewalk is as insulting as thinking
that people go to Logic because they're looking for a smarter program. I
started using it because Cakewalk refused to give me:

1.A variable count-off less than one bar or triggered by midi input.
2.Event-selectable all-controllers off so that all your settings/pan/volumes
don't go back to start when you stop playback.
3.Non-destructive quantization
4.Editing without stopping playback.
5.Saving without stopping playback
6.SPMTE lock-up without putting the whole program into standby

And more.
But never, ever call the ones still using Cakewalk "not as smart" as me. You
are a well spoken asshole, though probably well-meaning.

Ted Perlman

Randy Hammon

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
>1.A variable count-off less than one bar or triggered by midi input.
>2.Event-selectable all-controllers off so that all your
settings/pan/volumes
>don't go back to start when you stop playback.
>3.Non-destructive quantization
>4.Editing without stopping playback.
>5.Saving without stopping playback
>6.SPMTE lock-up without putting the whole program into standby

That stuff sure looks good. Samp 2496 chases smpte without putting the
program into standby. It just starts when the SMPTE comes in. How
sensible. It's refreshing and evoked the response in me (when I first
started using it) "of course that's how it should be implemented!"

Thanks,
-randy

Mo Weston

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98

YUP ! 48 degree's C aint no joke! My brain is scrambled!

Actually Tommy is, as Joel correctly points out, the Pinball Wizard!

Dont know what the fuck this has to do with anything but be patient with
an old codger!

hehehe Gemme a COLD Pepsi! I aint so full of fizz today!

Mo Weston JHP Q8

David A. Fenton

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
"or triggered by midi input."

I could really use this. When playing midi drums I have to set the
count-off to 3 measures, then run from the computer to the drums. It's a
stressful process. Maybe I can use a key-binding or something for this. Or
maybe 'clap on/clap off'?

df

--
-------------------------
David A. Fenton
Ted Perlman wrote in message <6p0mik$r...@hope.harvard.net>...

><Most of your requirements are working in LOGIC>
>
>Oh really?
>
><I'm sure TwelveTone is already looking into the competition's features.>
>
>If that were true than they would have understood what I've been asking for
>all these years.
>
><Most LOGIC users come from Cakewalk and go back to Cakewalk>
>
>Not me.
>

><Eventually, Cakewalk will cover all our needs anyway>
>
>Sure, when we don't need them anymore.
>
>Your post implying that people are not quite capable or smart is one of the
>most arrogant and condescending statements I have ever read. To think that
>only "simple-minded" people are using Cakewalk is as insulting as thinking
>that people go to Logic because they're looking for a smarter program. I
>started using it because Cakewalk refused to give me:
>

>1.A variable count-off less than one bar or triggered by midi input.
>2.Event-selectable all-controllers off so that all your
settings/pan/volumes
>don't go back to start when you stop playback.
>3.Non-destructive quantization
>4.Editing without stopping playback.
>5.Saving without stopping playback
>6.SPMTE lock-up without putting the whole program into standby

Tommy B.

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
> But never, ever call the ones still using Cakewalk "not as smart" as >me.
You are a well spoken asshole, though probably well-meaning.

> Ted Perlman

Hey Ted, why in the hell don't you say what you really mean! (;-).

Jim Roseberry

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
>I could really use this. When playing midi drums I have to set the
>count-off to 3 measures, then run from the computer to the drums. It's a
>stressful process. Maybe I can use a key-binding or something for this.
Or
>maybe 'clap on/clap off'?

I have a couple of suggestions that might make tracking drums slightly less
stressful. <g>

1. Get an extension cable for your keyboard.
2. Get a wireless keyboard.

Jim Roseberry
Studio Cat Software (Audio software/hardware sales)
1-888-873-8855
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/jimroseberry
Jack and Jill Recording Studio
Studio Cat Productions
jimros...@sprynet.com

David A. Fenton

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
>1. Get an extension cable for your keyboard.
>2. Get a wireless keyboard.

I've actually considered this, I guess now's the time. Maybe there's a
keyboard splitter that will allow for two keyboards too

df

--
-------------------------
David A. Fenton

Geardo

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Hi Ted,

If I gave you the impression of defining Cakewalk users as simple minded,
that was certainly not my meaning and not my point either. I was only
trying to defend the very successful development and marketing strategies
of TwelveTone (as if that was even necessary).

You seem to be a very experienced MIDI user and I certainly like to learn
from you. Logic solves certain problems for me and I like Logic's
innovative approach of defining MIDI environments in a very unique way. I'm
using Logic's features to define multi-sound instruments, using several
sounds on multiple sound modules. That's something I can't do with
Cakewalk. Cakewalk is my definite preference when it comes to ease of use.
So, if I blamed anybody to be simple minded, it would be myself to begin
with.

Would you mind telling me a bit about your studio setup ? I would really
like to know about actually working setups. I have a P2/233/128 PC with a
Lexicon Studio and I'm using an 02R mixer. I have a lot of problems with
digital sync. My TR-Rack will give me MIDI receiving errors when the
digital sync option is enabled and Korg doesn't know any solution. The 02R
manual assumes you using an external word clock source, but the Lexicon
Studio can only output ADAT sync. So I'm using the 02R's word clock output
to sync my inputs, with questionable results.

How are you working ? I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Geardo

Ted Perlman <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in article

Geardo

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
What are you looking for ?

Can you help with Cakewalk vs Logic ?

I would also be interested in your system setup. Do you have a working
digital setup ? I'm very interested in input on digital sync issues.

I'm indeed trying to be helpful and would give you or anybody else my input
about my experiences with Cakewalk and my setup.

If you are interested in participating in a strictly point-based
discussion, make a point. Otherwise I would wish for you to shut up.

Geardo.

Tommy B. <to...@cloud9.net> wrote in article
<01bdb4a9$f3f16c40$9dc864a8@mr-klone>...

> > But never, ever call the ones still using Cakewalk "not as smart" as
>me.
> You are a well spoken asshole, though probably well-meaning.
> >
> > Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
<Otherwise I would wish for you to shut up.>

How come all the assholes here who give me a hard time NEVER use their real
name? (Shredder/Phatt Bass/TranceAcidTripper/ - the list goes on......)

I'm sure we'd all be happy to share your immense knowledge of Cakewalk and
Logic even if your name is Edwin or Boogie or anything. I just didn't like
your implication that folks would go back to Cakewalk because they weren't
"bright" and couldn't understand Logic or that they would leave Cakewalk for
Logic if they were really smart. It sounds like you think with your butt.
You're supposed to "sit on it".

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
<If I gave you the impression of defining Cakewalk users as simple minded,
that was certainly not my meaning and not my point either>

Okay - did you address that last letter to me, 'cause it sounded like that
and I responded in same. This letter has a totally different vibe, which I
would prefer to respond to. It's just that I read the other one first. Oh
well....

<Logic solves certain problems for me>

Solved the old 2-beat countoff problem for me. <g>

Cakewalk is my definite preference when it comes to ease of use.>

Uh, maybe. Logic is much, much harder to start off with, but when you've got
it down, it smokes (in my opinion) the current midi version of Cakewalk.
Cakewalk has pretty much let themselves fall so far back midi-wise that one
begins to wonder whether they consider that part of the program even
important. I realize that there are a huge group of users here who never use
the midi part, but that is an IMPORTANT part of the program to all of the
pro's. I don't feel Cakewalk is all that easy right now. It's easy for ME
'cause I've been using it for almost 8 years, but I don't know about new
users.

<I have a lot of problems with digital sync...How are you working ?>

I've chosen to equip my studio with equipment that is:

1.Easily rented in case of breakdowns
2.Interfaces easily with a wide variety of manufacturers
3.Fairly simple to figure out and keep running when something bad happens
4.Very very stable
5.I can afford to have at least 2 of everything.

I have 2 ADAT XT's, and an EMU Darwin HD recorder with ADAT interface, which
the BRC thinks is another ADAT. Anything goes down, I can keep going. I have
the Emagic Unitor8 interface (courtesy Jim Roseberry), but I also kept my
MOTU Midi Express XT. I hate it but it WILL do in a pinch. I also have a
variety of old AND new samplers (about 8 of em), including a maxed out
Emulator 4 with 128mb RAM. I'm running both Cakewalk 6.01 and Logic Platinum
3.5 on a Pentium 166 MMX. This is obviously not the primo computer (I have 3
total) to do audio on, but I don't really want the headaches and problems
that go along with that. I have about 20 reverbs, 8 delays, 8 compressors,
10 eq's, a 48 input main mixing board, about 48 channels more on other
assorted mixers, a DSP board on the Darwin, an Antares AutoTune, a bunch of
synth modules, acoustic and electric guitars, bass, percussion, mics, yadda
yadda... I don't really need plug-ins.

Jim Roseberry is going to make me a killer DAW one of these days - maybe
I'll feel better about PC audio when I've used it successfully for a while.
All my experiences with it, whether ProTools or PC have shown it to be a
much less reliable environment for both the artist and the producer. My
studio goes around the clock, non-stop (like me). The only thing I don't
have two of is me and my new set of Mackie HR824's, which I replaced the
Event 20/20's with.

(Kind of ignore that other letter.....)

Best,

Ted Perlman

Geardo

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Aha,

as I expected. You are using external recording devices which is still the
only proven way of doing professional recording. You are not mentioning
digital sync, you are probably not using/needing it.

Thank you really for your setup description, it sounds almost like my "old"
studio with all those gadgets, I have a junkyard of equipment myself (not
de-classifying your equipment in any way). It almost seems like you went
through many of the tortures I did. More successful and much more
to-the-point though, as far as I can tell. And I have to admit that I'm not
a pro in recording, just an amateur with lots of pro equipment, compared to
you. I have a 56-channel Mackie connected to a ProTools interface, using
SampleCell and Lexicon effects. I'm also using 4X DBX1066 although my
Digidesign ProTools plug-ins should take care of the EQ, I have a DM-80
synced to the Pro-Tools System for more channels (never used it, who needs
32 channels anyway ?), a Roland R880 digital reverb processor, Eventide
Harmonizers (the H3500 x 2), Lexicon PCMs (80 X 2) + 1 70, the latest and
best sound gear like the Z1, the Trinity, Prophecy and the QSR, lots of
legacy gear like the 01W, the EMU sound modules (I love the Morpheus), you
wouldn't believe what an ambitious amateur can accumulate in gear.

Recently, I built a PC system with a Lexicon Studio and an 02r. Of course,
I have to use VST to get it marginally working. As far as multi-track
digital recording is concerned, I have no problems. I test-drove 36
channels, mixed to the SP/DIF output of the Lexicon and it actually worked
! I do have problems with digital sync, but that's another story.

Again, thanks for your response, it's really an inside into the work of a
professional. And it shows how little relevance digital PC recording really
has (yet).

Geardo (the weirdo with tons of gear)

Ted Perlman <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in article

<6p447d$d...@hope.harvard.net>...

Tom Greb

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Has anyone seen or tried Logic Platinum for PC?

I think it's 24 bit audio and has Direct-X.

I was wondering if MIDI/audio sync is as tight as Cake
and if it uses vector style volume and pan controls.

Thanks,

Tom

Geardo

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Not released yet for PC. I received my Mac update yesterday. Logic Audio
Silver, Gold, Platinum, it's all the same anyway, just enables you for more
tracks.

Geardo

Tom Greb <ti...@relay.fast.net> wrote in article
<35B5C2...@relay.fast.net>...

Ted Perlman

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98

<Has anyone seen or tried Logic Platinum for PC?>

Geardo's wrong. I have my copy of Platinum up and running. There's actually
a midi "track mixer" which lets you mix all the midi stuff same as the
audio. The sync is much tighter than Cakewalk. That mixer thing, though,
looks like Emagic has been on the Cakewalk NG <g>.

Ted Perlman

Geardo

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Sorry about that, nice to know that Ted has the correct answer (it seems he
can answer everything anyway, good to know such a guy). I talked to Emagic
on the phone a couple of days ago and it must have been my misunderstanding
that Platinum for the PC is released later.

I'm wrong. Sorry,
Geardo

Ted Perlman <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in article

<6p5cln$l...@hope.harvard.net>...

Steve Myers

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Stop spamming the newsgroups.

> In my head this sounds to be easy to implement

> Any thoughts?

David A. Fenton

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Does Logic Platinum support Vector mixing or 24Bits?

df

--
-------------------------
David A. Fenton

Ted Perlman

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98

<Does Logic Platinum support Vector mixing or 24Bits?>

Both.

Ted Perlman

Tom Greb

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
How's the Direct-X plug-in implementation?

Thanks,

Tom

Ted Perlman

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
<How's the Direct-X plug-in implementation?>

It's cool now in Platinum. It was non-existent before, but they had great
sounding reverbs and chorus' so it didn't really make much difference. Their
Windows chops are kind of new so you have to have a little (ne: lot) of
patience. Whereas Cakewalk is allowed no slack because they're Windows guys
first and foremost. <g>

Ted Perlman

David A. Fenton

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
Hmmm. Do they have a demo available?

df

--
-------------------------
David A. Fenton

Ted Perlman wrote in message <6p9kos$4...@hope.harvard.net>...

><Does Logic Platinum support Vector mixing or 24Bits?>
>
>Both.
>

>Ted Perlman

Joel Braverman

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Isn't Platinum like $1000 though? I certainly don't want to have to pay THAT
kind of price...

Joel

Ted Perlman

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98

<Isn't Platinum like $1000 though? I certainly don't want to have to pay
THAT
kind of price...>

Roseberry can get it for you at way under that. And you could always get it
at the competitive upgrade price, but you'd have to send them your Cakewalk
disk, if you could bear to part with it. <g>

Ted Perlman

Brian Layzell

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98

I'm a little late with this thread but anyhow, Cakewalk doesn't have to do
everything you know. I agree it would be nice to have some realtime MIDI
processing and I know that v8 contains plug-ins. But computers can run more
than one program at a time these days. If you want some good pre/post MIDI
processing, you may want to check out a couple of links:

Building Blocks at
http://midiworld.com/AuReality/software/building_blocks/index.htm
This is a $30US shareware program that will let you do all kinds of MIDI
processing in real time.
It's very worth it.

Also, to route your MIDI signals around your PC (extra virtual ports, etc.)
plus a lot of other MIDI utility functions, check out Jamie O'Connell's Place
at:
http://www.channel1.com/users/jamieo/index.html
and download the freeware MIDI-OX. It's absolutely great!

Brian

Steinar Apalnes wrote:

> Why can't you make plug-ins for MIDI tracks as well? I'm talking about
> realitme quantization, MIDI echo, layering (make the same track output to
> several outputs and ports), realtime arpeggiator, realtime converting of
> MIDI events, etc…

Joel Braverman

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
And there's also:

www.technotoys.com - analog style arpeggiator and sequencer - very well
done.

Joel

Steve Gronseth

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98

Brian Layzell wrote in message
> If you want some good pre/post MIDI processing,
> you may want to check out a couple of links:
>
>Building Blocks at
>http://midiworld.com/AuReality/software/building_blocks/index.htm
>This is a $30US shareware program that will let you do all kinds of
>MIDI processing in real time.
>It's very worth it.

I saw Brian's post mentioning Building Blocks and I thought that I'd add my
my own two cents worth....I had the chance to see Building Blocks in a beta
version and was *very* impressed with the power and the flexibility in this
program . . . it's set up so that you can create some interesting music
without too much difficulty, but it's what you can do if you dig deeper in
the program that gets exciting.....the creator of Building Blocks obviously
spent a great deal of time and effort to develop it and I'd recommend
everyone checking it out...you won't be disappointed

Steve Gronseth
DTF Project
http://www.cybermontage.com
D...@cybermontage.com

Orlando Fiol

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98

Brian Layzell <blay...@ameritech.net> wrote in article <361F5393...@ameritech.net>...

Also, to route your MIDI signals around your PC (extra virtual ports, etc.)
plus a lot of other MIDI utility functions, check out Jamie O'Connell's Place
at:
http://www.channel1.com/users/jamieo/index.html
and download the freeware MIDI-OX. It's absolutely great!

Now, I tried to install and use the Hubie Loopback virtual midi device and got a system error.
Looks like I had maxed out Win 95's midi capabilities. FYI, I'm running a Midi Express XT and two
midi ports from my soundcard. So, looks like there are already eleven active and I can't install
or run anymore. Is this true?

Thanks,
Orlando

Brian Layzell

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
> Now, I tried to install and use the Hubie Loopback virtual midi device and got a system error.
> Looks like I had maxed out Win 95's midi capabilities. FYI, I'm running a Midi Express XT and two
> midi ports from my soundcard. So, looks like there are already eleven active and I can't install
> or run anymore. Is this true?
>
> Thanks,
> Orlando

From my readings, I would say that about 11 ports is the max for Win 95. This seems to be true. I think the only solution is to
remove some ports that you don't need (or can get by without). For example, I had a SoundFont driver installed that used up a port
but I don't have a SoundFont compatible sound card. Also, I reduced the number of virtual midi ports to exactly the number I was
using.

Brian

KP2 KP2

Dec 24, 2023, 8:45:15 PM12/24/23