No more Google Groups access!

Sue Morton 867-5309@domain.invalid

Jan 16, 2024, 11:54:26 AMJan 16
As you regulars know I've just been a lurker some years now, just using Google Groups. Now I see a message from Google:
"Effective February 22, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today."
What you do you all use now or will be using once Google Groups is stopped?

Glennbo

Jan 16, 2024, 1:12:41 PMJan 16
I setup a free account at news.eternal-september.org a long time ago, and have it setup in Thunderbird, so that every time I check my email, I'm also checking cakewalk.audio, and I can instantly see any new posts.

This is the web page for them.

http://www.eternal-september.org/

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __

Sue Morton 867-5309@domain.invalid

Jan 16, 2024, 1:17:35 PMJan 16
I have news servers, but I need a newsreader (client). You are using Thunderbird for your news client these days? Thanks G'Bo.

Glennbo

Jan 16, 2024, 1:35:26 PMJan 16
On 1/16/24 12:17, Sue Morton 867-...@domain.invalid wrote:
> I have news servers, but I need a newsreader (client). You are using Thunderbird for your news client these days? Thanks G'Bo.

Ahh, I misunderstood, thinking you were using google.groups or something as your server.

Thunderbird works great for hooking up to nntp, pop3, smtp, and imap servers.

Alternatively, you can still get Xnews, although it hasn't been updated since 2006.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141227184804/http://xnews.newsguy.com/

Xnews is an unzip and run client that should still work in newer copies of Windows, and runs fine in Linux under WINE. I ran it for a few years after switching to Linux, but in the last few years started using Thunderbird, since it's native Linux.

John Braner

Jan 16, 2024, 4:33:22 PMJan 16
Hi Sue,

I use Thunderbird too (with news.eternal-september.org).

I just use Outlook for email, so I have to remember to look in Thunderbird every once in a while
(easier said than done) ;-)

--
John Braner

http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
https://johnbraner.bandcamp.com/
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Sue Morton 867-5309@domain.invalid

Jan 17, 2024, 1:31:48 PMJan 17
Thanks John, I'll check into Thunderbird again. Been 25+ years since I used that! My current email client is web based, I know what you mean about remembering to check!