Packaging CakePHP 3 for Debian and Ubuntu

Akhil Mohan

Sep 3, 2014, 1:33:10 PM9/3/14
to cakeph...@googlegroups.com

Hello Everyone,

I have been using CakePHP for some time and really liked it.

For now, Debian and Ubuntu native repositories seem to have an older version of CakePHP and I am curious to know why such a popular product would be lagging behind on Linux distributions. I am interested in getting the latest version of CakePHP packaged for Debian and Ubuntu. I see CakePHP was orphaned few months back as informed here https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=738289.

Any comments or links to reflect similar interest about getting latest version packaged would be nice.

Regards,
Akhil

Graham Weldon

Sep 4, 2014, 11:22:36 AM9/4/14
to cakeph...@googlegroups.com
Do you think a distro-specific package is required, given we have Composer?

Cheers,
Graham Weldon
http://grahamweldon.com
e. gra...@grahamweldon.com

Skype: grahamweldon

mark_story

Sep 6, 2014, 8:35:09 AM9/6/14
to cakeph...@googlegroups.com
One reason the existing package languished is that most php libraries are now installed per application, and not system wide. I am not sure a systemwide install of CakePHP is a good practice to promote either. I used to be a fan of system wide installs, but got burned too many times by version conflicts. Perhaps this isn't as big of a problem when people are using vagrant/docker images for each project.

-mark

Jose Diaz-Gonzalez

Sep 6, 2014, 6:03:13 PM9/6/14
to cakeph...@googlegroups.com

Akhil,

I've reached out multiple times to the Debian maintainer and others, but essentially cakephp doesn't have control over the package, so we cannot upgrade it. It's been a source of constant pain tbh.

Not sure what we can do since some people are really anal about being able to distribute it as they want, even if its an old version.

On Sep 6, 2014 8:35 AM, "mark_story" <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:
One reason the existing package languished is that most php libraries are now installed per application, and not system wide. I am not sure a systemwide install of CakePHP is a good practice to promote either. I used to be a fan of system wide installs, but got burned too many times by version conflicts. Perhaps this isn't as big of a problem when people are using vagrant/docker images for each project.

-mark

Ravage84

Sep 7, 2014, 12:39:50 PM9/7/14
to cakeph...@googlegroups.com
Can we ask the Debian project for exclusion (in the next major, probably)?
Or can we claim ownership through some official channels?

Installing a framework like CakePHP through an Operating System package manager had its time, but since we have now Composer I really see no compelling reason to keep that up.

Only sheds bad light at the project, if it's not up to date.

Marc