Assistant Professor, Library and Information Science, FIMS

Lilianne Dang

Sep 27, 2022, 6:20:58 PM9/27/22
to CAIS/ACSI
Dear colleagues,

We, at the Faculty of Information and Media Studies (FIMS) at Western University, are excited to announce our search for probationary (tenure-track) colleague at the rank of Assistant Professor whose research, scholarship and professional practice are in the area of information and communication technology (ICT) and whose primary teaching responsibilities will be in our Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) program.

FIMS is a vibrant, interdisciplinary Faculty dedicated to the advancement of knowledge about media, communication, and information. At the Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral level, we study technologies, systems, histories and practices to understand the role of information and media in democratic process and institutional and community life.  We connect our scholarship and research creation to the social and cultural determinants of power and agency in media and information contexts.

Our MLIS program is widely recognized as one of the best of its kind in North America. The curriculum stresses an exploration of the literature of the discipline and the development of advanced research skill. We provide a strong foundation in librarianship in a range of settings together with an opportunity to engage innovative ideas and new information practices.

We seek a colleague who can contribute to students’ development of core professional competencies in technological knowledge and skills, including identifying and evaluating technologies and uses that support information access and delivery in libraries and other information organizations. More specifically, we expect our new colleague to be able to teach in two or more of the following areas: database management systems; information retrieval; information visualization; web design and content strategy; data science; artificial intelligence; user experience design; digital humanities and digital librarianship; and open source and proprietary ILS systems. We are open to applicants with doctoral degrees from a range of fields.  This could include a PhD in Library and Information Science, or in a cognate area plus evidence of experience with and commitment to information organizations (e.g., an MLIS degree in combination with a cognate doctorate).  It is essential that our new colleague be prepared to teach core courses and applied ICT courses to our MLIS students, who will go on to contribute to public, not-for-profit, and for-profit organizations in a range of librarianship and information management roles.

Preference will be given to applicants conducting research in any of the cutting-edge areas of information and communication technologies.  Examples include (though are not limited to) augmented reality, conversational AI, Internet of Things, or information access and accessibility, each with relevance to library and information science.

The successful candidate will have a PhD in hand or near completion; an excellent academic record and demonstrated achievement or potential in scholarly research; teaching experience at the University level; preparedness to teach in-person and on-line; and the ability and willingness to contribute to the intellectual and scholarly life of the field, the Faculty, the University, and the London community.  As a campus committed to equity, inclusion, decolonization and community engagement, a record of teaching or the capacity to teach a diverse group of students and engage a multicultural community is essential.

With an enviable national reputation and an international profile that ranks among the top universities world-wide, Western pushes the boundaries of pedagogical and scholarly excellence while setting a national standard for student experience. With annual research funding exceeding $220 million, and an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada's top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada's most beautiful campuses. Western is a founding member of Canada’s U15, serves as a hub for more than 500 international research collaborations, and has been recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers. There are more than 38,000 students within Western’s 11 Faculties and 3 affiliated University Colleges. For more information about Western’s strategic priorities, visit Western Strategic Plan, Indigenous Strategic Plan, Office of the Associate Vice-President of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and for information on Western’s research areas please visit Research Western.

The anticipated start date is 1 July 2023. To apply, please complete the form available at

http://www.uwo.ca/facultyrelations/faculty/Application-FullTime-Faculty-Position-Form.pdf and submit the following:

 1.     Cover Letter which includes:

·         a research statement

·         a statement of teaching philosophy and capacity for teaching (a) ICT at the professional Master’s level, (b) in-person and online, and (c) in a multicultural context

2.     A detailed Curriculum Vitae

3.     A writing sample not longer than 25 published pages and/or a selective portfolio of work in research creation, where applicable

4.     The names, titles and email addresses of three academic referees, though one referee may be an information professional who has supervised the applicant

Electronic applications are preferred and should be submitted in one PDF file (in the sequence above). The application package can be submitted via email to:

Lisa Henderson, Professor and Dean

Faculty of Information and Media Studies

FIMS and Nursing Building

Western University

London, ON, Canada N6A 5B9

fimsde...@uwo.ca

Review of applications will begin on 1 November 2022 and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.

Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.

Positions are subject to budget approval. Applicants should have fluent written and oral communication skills in English. The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.

 In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

The full appointment posting is attached as a PDF. Please circulate to your contacts and networks.

Sincerely,

Lilianne Dang

Faculty Affairs Coordinator

Faculty of Information and Media Studies

University of Western Ontario

P 519-661-2111 x 86548

F 519-661-3506

FIMS _MLIS ad_2022_Final.pdf