Area charts? Variable X axis? Date/time conversion?

Jeanne AT Petrangelo DOT org

Oct 20, 2010, 5:21:02 PM10/20/10
to CairoPlot
Hello all,

I'm considering CairoPlot to report on automated test results. It
looks pretty, and some of my team are more comfortable with Python
than with Perl. I have dabbled in Python.

Can CairoPlot create a stacked bar chart?
Example: http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/StackedBarChart

Can CairoPlot create a stacked area chart?
Example: http://www.java2s.com/Code/Java/Chart/JFreeChartStackedAreaChartDemo.htm

For the stacked area chart, data sets may be taken at date/time
intervals that are not evenly spaced. There may be three test runs in
one day, or there might be a week between runs. If the chart forces x
axis data to be evenly spaced, that would keep us from using the
charts to gauge velocity. Can CairoPlot handle variable X axis dates/
times? Can CairoPlot take in *nix format dates/times and create dates/
times which are easier to read on the X axis?

Thanks,
Jeanne

Rodrigo Araújo

Oct 20, 2010, 5:42:37 PM10/20/10
to cair...@googlegroups.com
Well, area charts are not available. But stacked bar charts are.
Download the trunk version through bzr:

bzr branch lp:cairoplot

The tests.py file has some examples on the stacked bar, both horizontal and vertical bars.

For the random intervals between points, it's possible through the Scatter Plot. If you want, you might fiddle with the render method to try and render the areas (:

To create more readable dates/times, i guess you'll have to change the render_x_labels method to receive *nix times and convert them.

Best regards,

Rodrigo Araújo