Using Bazaar

Paul Eipper

Mar 14, 2009, 12:40:24 AM3/14/09
to cair...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm having some problems trying to setup a workflow with the bazaar
distributed version control.

This is what I am trying to accomplish:

1) branch from cairoplot trunk on my local machine
2) bind the local branch to my launchpad account
3) have it so that if I do bzr update, it updates from trunk, and bzr
commit sends to launchpad

So far, I could make steps 1 and 2, but it seems it breaks bzr update,
since it stops looking at cairoplot trunk for some reason.

This is how I tried to do it:

bzr init
bzr branch lp:cairoplot
bzr branch cairoplot zigzag-plot
cd zigzag-plot
bzr push lp:~paul-eipper/cairoplot/zigzag-plot
bzr bind lp:~paul-eipper/cairoplot/zigzag-plot

Anyone could help me with that?

--
Paul Eipper

Rodrigo Araújo

Mar 28, 2009, 3:54:02 PM3/28/09
to cair...@googlegroups.com
Hey Paul,

Did you manage to solve the problem you mentioned below?

I guess there's not much of a solution because when you create a new branch from the trunk, theoretically it should mean you have taken some version and will keep updating it. Whenever you're done, you should propose a merge, that's when the updates you did would be inserted into the trunk again.

Best regards,

Rodrigo Araújo

Paul Eipper

Apr 7, 2009, 11:14:45 PM4/7/09
to cair...@googlegroups.com
On 3/28/09, Rodrigo Araújo <alf.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Paul,
>
> Did you manage to solve the problem you mentioned below?
>
> I guess there's not much of a solution because when you create a new branch
> from the trunk, theoretically it should mean you have taken some version and
> will keep updating it. Whenever you're done, you should propose a merge,
> that's when the updates you did would be inserted into the trunk again.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rodrigo Araújo

I talked to the bazaar guys at the IRC, and turns out what I had in
mind is not how it works, so this is how I'm using it now:

[intial config]

bzr init
bzr branch lp:cairoplot mybranch
bzr merge --remember lp:cairoplot
bzr push --remember lp:~mylogin/cairoplot/mybranch

[workflow]

bzr merge
(hack...hack...hack...)
bzr commit