Is cropping necessary for Feature Extraction?

Ioannis Kalfas

Jun 27, 2016, 8:42:19 AM6/27/16
to Caffe Users
I want to extract the features from various CNNs of some images of black silhouettes.
There is important information in the whole picture (due to shape curvatures close to the picture edge).
So, I believe that cropping in this case will throw away this information.

Is it ok if I remove it and only use resizing as pre-processing.?
(I know I also lose some information with resizing, but it's not important in my case).

Hossein Hasanpour

Jun 27, 2016, 3:31:00 PM6/27/16
to Caffe Users
cropping is not a necessity in feature extraction, use it only if it helps. if it doesnt dont.