Autoencoder Minimal Example

Margaret Thatcher

Jul 15, 2016, 1:35:21 PM7/15/16
to Caffe Users
Hello everyone,

I tried to implement a minimal example for an auto encoder:
https://gist.github.com/see--/a6e6aba893786234344dac15a3459cc4

The hidden layer is as big as the input layer. Therefore, I expected the weights to become the identity and biases to become zero. Both in the encoder and the decoder. However, I don't get these results. I get almost zero loss for input data in [-5, 5] but a higher loss, if I test on a different interval. Do you have any ideas why this happens?

Furthermore, if I manually set the weights to the expected values (i.e. identity for weights and zero for biases) training doesn't affect them much (the loss is already 0).

Kind regards
Steffen