Imagenet detection dataset: Annotation file inconsistencies

Siddharth Mohan

Apr 15, 2016, 11:49:11 AM4/15/16
to Caffe Users
In some imagenet annotation files: for eg: n03636649_4842.xml, the size of the image and the bounding box xmin,ymin is inconsistent.
for eg: in n03636649_4842.xml
<width>375</width>
<height>500</height>
but one of the bounding box annotation is
<xmin>391</xmin>
<ymin>97</ymin>
<xmax>499</xmax>
<ymax>116</ymax>.
I know that the image size in annotation file doesn't need to match the actual image (need to scale it down/up to actual image).

From: http://image-net.org/download-bboxes
Remark: In the bounding box annotations, there are two fields(<width> and <height>) indicating the size of the image. The location and size of a bounding box in the annotation file are relative to this size. However, this size may not be identical to the real image size in the downloaded package. (The reason is that the size in the annotation file is the displayed size in which the image was shown to an annotator). Therefore to locate the actual pixels on the original image, you might need to rescale the bounding boxes accordingly.

But there are inconsistencies within the xml file.  How are you folks dealing with the problem? Currently, I am just ignoring such annotations.