What is the purpose/function of SGDSolver's Normalize & Regularize methods

Steven

Feb 23, 2017, 2:49:04 PM2/23/17
to Caffe Users
I've been looking at how Caffe implements its Stochastic Gradient Descent optimizer and don't fully understand what it does.

In void SGDSolver<Dtype>::ApplyUpdate(). Before the call to ComputeUpdateValue, which seems to calculate the update value (V_(t+1)) as described in http://caffe.berkeleyvision.org/tutorial/solver.html, there are calls to Normalize & Regularize.

I don't understand what these two functions do. Normalize has a comment saying that it 'Scales gradient to counterbalance accumulation", but I don't know what that means. Likewise, Regularize seems to perform some sort of localized weight decay, but I can't tell for certain.

Does anyone know what tese functions do & why they were implemented?

Thanks!

GAURAV SRIVASTAVA

Aug 13, 2017, 4:28:49 AM8/13/17
to Caffe Users
Hi Steven,

Could you figure this out? I am also trying to understand what are these for?

Thanks,
Gaurav