Batch Normalization introducing noise to segmented outputs

Clint Sebastian

Aug 24, 2016, 6:40:58 AM8/24/16
to Caffe Users
Hi,

I am training a network using batch normalization for segmentation.

Apparently, it introduces a lot of noise in my output images although I reach the same amount of loss in a fewer number of iterations.

Has anyone faced the same problem while training?
Any workarounds to fix this?

Clint Sebastian

Aug 24, 2016, 8:08:56 AM8/24/16
to Caffe Users

Found the problem!

Should turn on the calculated statistics in Batch Normalization layer from training phase during testing.

Something like this during testing phase.

layer { name: "conv1_bn" type: "BatchNorm" bottom: "conv1" top: "conv1"
  batch_norm_param { use_global_stats: true } }