Anyone ran successfully on GTX980?

Niko Gamulin

Feb 17, 2015, 4:40:52 PM2/17/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

While trying to run Fine-Tuning for Style Recognition example using ASUS NVIDIA GTX980 card on Ubuntu 14.04 machine, the screens go blank after about 60 iterations. When this happens, the PC has to be turned off (reset button doesn't help).

I've looked around for a solution but haven't found any. I tried to install different driver versions (343.22, 343.36 and 346.22) but I encountered the same problem no matter the driver version. The problem is quite frustrating as I don't know what exactly is causing the problem - the drivers or perhaps caffe library.

If anyone managed to use GTX9XX card successfully I would be very thankful if you could provide any suggestions to fix the problem.

Best regards,

Niko

Friendly User

Feb 17, 2015, 4:44:33 PM2/17/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
Just a dump idea: maybe you can develop in low graphics mode with the built-in graphics card, so that the big one is 100% unoccupied.
Personally using GTX9XX machine via SSH without any problems

Andriy Lysak

Feb 17, 2015, 4:48:22 PM2/17/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
im with "Friendly User" I also run a GTX980 through ssh only and that has never produced any problems. Might be worth a try to offload any unnecessary tasks from the GPU.

Niko Gamulin

Feb 17, 2015, 5:55:14 PM2/17/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
I tried to turn off UI (sudo service lightdm stop) and then connected through ssh.

The process in this case performs about 100 iterations and then freezes.

One more thing that I haven't mentioned before is that before GTX 980 I had GT 740 card on the same machine. Therefore I downloaded and installed the drivers (tried versions 343.22, 343.36 and 346.22) and downloaded and installed this CUDA toolkit. After installing the drivers and toolkit I ran make clean in caffe folder (/usr/local/caffe) in order to overwrite previous build. Is it possible that there has been anything left configured for GT 740 card in caffe installation and it is the cause of the problem?

Prabhu

Feb 17, 2015, 6:00:06 PM2/17/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
Looks to me like a overheating problem. Optimize the gpu usage settings in ubuntu nvidia application.

Niko Gamulin

Feb 18, 2015, 2:43:36 AM2/18/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
It turned out to be hardware problem. Thank you for the suggestion!

evancompu...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2015, 2:53:49 AM2/18/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
To help others in the future - would you mind to tell us what was the hardware problem and how you discovered it? Thanks!

Niko Gamulin

Feb 18, 2015, 11:14:02 AM2/18/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
The problem was caused by power supply - only one power connector on card was connected to power supply instead of both.