Caffe installation on Ubuntu 17.10 through apt-get

Thomas Weissgerber

Jan 31, 2018, 5:08:28 PM1/31/18
to Caffe Users
Hi everyone,

I'm feeling kind of dumb but I'm stuck on the installation of caffe for two days now. I followed the official documentation, that says that we can just use "apt-get install caffe-gpu" on ubuntu 17.04 and up (I'm running 17.10) to install Caffe, and it seems ok (I've got the bin and some python stuff), but I tried to follow the first notebook exemple from the "Caffe in a day" tutorial, and I have some trouble.

Here is the tutorial in question: http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/BVLC/caffe/blob/tutorial/examples/completed/01-classification.ipynb

In this exemple it is said that we have to put the path to the "caffe_root" and I only  found "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/caffe",it seemed fine, but then we have to use some scripts inside the "models" or "script" folder, and there is none in this directory...

Am I missing something ? Do we have to still build/compile caffe in addition to the package installation ? Or download only some python scripts in addition ?

I'm really sorry for this dumb question coming from a newbie, and thanks in advance !

Przemek D

Feb 2, 2018, 8:18:37 AM2/2/18
to Caffe Users
Perhaps Caffe package does not include the examples? I don't know. For now the easiest solution would be to clone/download the repository and set that as root folder.

isaa...@gmail.com

May 17, 2018, 4:50:20 AM5/17/18
to Caffe Users
Hi, Thomas.
If you do apt-get install caffe-gpu then caffe directory in opt/ is created?
I did apt-get install caffe-gpu and not find caffe

isaa...@gmail.com

May 17, 2018, 5:47:58 AM5/17/18
to Caffe Users
Sorry:
sudo apt install caffe-cuda

Manjot Singh

May 20, 2018, 11:49:19 AM5/20/18
to Caffe Users
Hi

I am also struggling through the same solution. Any new solutions ?