Gcc-5.3, Centos6.7, how to configure cafe ?

Ben

Jan 7, 2016, 10:17:19 AM1/7/16
to Caffe Users
I compile gcc-5.3 on my HOME directory on my centos server.  The gcc version of system is 4.4.7. With newer version of gcc, I can use more libraries.

But here question came that how should I configure "Makefile.config" to make caffe compile well.

I added $gcc5.3-build-dir/include to the Makefile.config, but it will not work. I'm wondering where do gcc find its built-in headers from my gcc-5.3 build dir.

I have set environment variable PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but where do the compiler find the common headers, like 'stdlib.h', 'stdio.h' ?

Does anyone has such experience ?

Jan C Peters

Jan 14, 2016, 8:44:45 AM1/14/16
to Caffe Users
If you plan to use GPU acceleration I'd advise you to stick to gcc-4.9 or lower. There are already several answers on this, so here is the short version: CUDA only officially supports gcc <= 4.9. There is a hack to make it use more recent gcc version but this will only lead to trouble since there is a major ABI change between the 4.x and 5.x versions.

Concerning the common headers: The ones you are referring to belong to the c standard library (libc), which you also need to download and recompile from source with the new compiler. Along with the c++ standard library (libstdc++). Building a new toolchain by hand is not trivial. But this is off-topic for this mailing list.

Jan

Steve Bengi

Jan 14, 2016, 11:20:01 PM1/14/16
to Jan C Peters, Caffe Users
Thanks, I switch to gcc4.9, it's ok so far.