make runtest failures, possible rounding error?

Cayley Rice

Feb 24, 2017, 11:02:44 PM2/24/17
to Caffe Users
I'm trying install on OS X El Capitan. I went through the Homebrew process and am trying to use cblas = open because I can't turn off CPU throttling on my processors so can't properly install ATLAS. I get through make all and make test just fine (a bunch of warnings about pthreads and about unused typedef

'INVALID_REQUESTED_LOG_SEVERITY') but end up failing 5 or 6, depending on the run, of the make runtest. All the failures look like this:

[ RUN      ] AdaGradSolverTest/1.TestSnapshotShare

src/caffe/test/test_gradient_based_solver.cpp:563: Failure

Value of: params[i]->cpu_diff()[j]

  Actual: -0.000562523

Expected: param_copies[i]->cpu_diff()[j]

Which is: -0.000562523

param 1 diff differed at dim 0

src/caffe/test/test_gradient_based_solver.cpp:563: Failure

Value of: params[i]->cpu_diff()[j]

  Actual: -0.000379163

Expected: param_copies[i]->cpu_diff()[j]

Which is: -0.000379163

param 1 diff differed at dim 0

[  FAILED  ] AdaGradSolverTest/1.TestSnapshotShare, where TypeParam = N5caffe9CPUDeviceIdEE (18 ms)

Here are the five failures in this run:

[  FAILED  ] 5 tests, listed below:

[  FAILED  ] SGDSolverTest/1.TestSnapshotShare, where TypeParam = N5caffe9CPUDeviceIdEE

[  FAILED  ] AdaGradSolverTest/1.TestSnapshotShare, where TypeParam = N5caffe9CPUDeviceIdEE

[  FAILED  ] AdaDeltaSolverTest/1.TestSnapshotShare, where TypeParam = N5caffe9CPUDeviceIdEE

[  FAILED  ] AdamSolverTest/1.TestSnapshotShare, where TypeParam = N5caffe9CPUDeviceIdEE

[  FAILED  ] RMSPropSolverTest/1.TestSnapshotShare, where TypeParam = N5caffe9CPUDeviceIdEE

From searching for similar problems it appears that when things fail the cblas install/path/dependencies/compatibilities are the problem, so I've been trying to figure out what to try, but I've tried the things I can find by searching for similar errors. Any thoughts?