Pruning less important weights in caffemodel

Sivagnanam Namasivayamurthy

Nov 22, 2016, 1:11:25 AM11/22/16
to Caffe Users
Hi,

I'm working on an image classification problem using CNN in Caffe. The trained model has nearly 130Million weights, out of which ~120Million weights are infinitesimally small (i.e., ~0). I would like to prune these weights and re-train with remaining weights. I know its not straightforward to do this in Caffe.

Has anyone tried similar approach? any suggestions would be helpful.

pius kwao

Jul 25, 2017, 11:51:28 AM7/25/17
to Caffe Users
Hi, I my research in this area as well. Have you been able to come across any solutions?

Siva

Jul 25, 2017, 8:17:22 PM7/25/17
to Caffe Users
Yes, read the weights from .caffemodel into numpy arrays. Do the pruning in the arrays and load it back into the .caffemodel object and re-train it. There are no direct API's available for doing this though.