FCN test_interval

C.F.

Jan 24, 2017, 11:26:00 AM1/24/17
to Caffe Users
Hi,

I see the test_interval is set to 999999999 in FCN's solver.prototxt ,like this:

# make test net, but don't invoke it from the solver itself
test_interval: 999999999

I do not quite understand the meaning of this set, will not test the test set during the training?

Does anyone could tell me why this setting?
Thanks in advance.

Evan Shelhamer

Jan 24, 2017, 3:00:12 PM1/24/17
to C.F., Caffe Users
That's exactly right. The intent of this setting is to never have the solver test the net itself, because it doesn't know how to calculate the semantic segmentation metrics. Instead this is handled by the solving script https://github.com/shelhamer/fcn.berkeleyvision.org/blob/master/voc-fcn8s-atonce/solve.py#L32 with this scoring helper https://github.com/shelhamer/fcn.berkeleyvision.org/blob/master/score.py

Evan Shelhamer

C.F.

Jan 25, 2017, 11:14:01 AM1/25/17
to Caffe Users, beuniq...@gmail.com
Thank you Evan.

I have another question, if I train on my own dataset and I create the lmdb format data set, the contents of the file https://github.com/shelhamer/fcn.berkeleyvision.org/blob/master/voc-fcn8s-atonce/solve.py#L28 is the image name of data in 'val.prototxt'?

Thanks.