Pooling across channels?

Dinesh

Jan 29, 2015, 6:45:06 PM1/29/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Does Caffe already provide functionality to pool across channels? My understanding is that the POOLING layer only allows pooling on pixels within the same (presumably) convolutional channel. I'm looking for something like this "ChannelPoolingLayer" from Mocha: http://mochajl.readthedocs.org/en/latest/user-guide/layers/computation-layer.html#ChannelPoolingLayer

If I had a small number of channels, I could do something hacky like slice the channels and use ELTWISE layer to pool over them, but this is too cumbersome for anything more than a very small # of channels.

Evan Shelhamer

Jan 30, 2015, 1:40:33 PM1/30/15
to Dinesh, caffe...@googlegroups.com
No, this isn't currently in Caffe but it's certainly worth including. The channel special case is useful as-is, but generalized pooling is a good pairing with #1486 ND blobs.

Evan Shelhamer

Dinesh

Feb 1, 2015, 4:07:15 PM2/1/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com, dinesh.ja...@gmail.com
Thank, Evan. I might end up implementing this (most likely the channel-specific case) some time soon. Will post a PR if I do.

Zhuotun Zhu

Aug 14, 2016, 2:59:12 PM8/14/16
to Caffe Users, dinesh.ja...@gmail.com
Hi JD,

Have you posted a PR for Cross Channel Pooling?