Caffe Install on Google Colab to run RefineDet

Harsh Songara

Apr 28, 2021, 4:42:14 AM4/28/21
to Caffe Users
Hello all,

I'm currently working on implementing the repository https://github.com/sfzhang15/RefineDet. I do not have a powerful GPU on my machine and hence wanted to implement the same on Colab. One of the dependencies to this is Caffe.

When I try to install the build of Caffe using the command, '!apt install caffe-cuda' I get an error.

"/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/ideep4py/lib/libmkldnn.so.0 is not a symbolic link"

PFA, 'Error_Install.txt' for log

Since I encountered this issue; I tried to build caffe from source. Using the commands provided in the LINK. I uncommented the deb-src lines as required & then tried
'!apt build-dep caffe-cuda'. However, I ran into the following problem:

"dpkg: error processing archive /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-J23qrE/109-nvidia-cuda-dev_9.1.85-3ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/include/cublas.h', which is also in package libcublas-dev 10.2.1.243-1
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)"

PFA, 'Error_SourcesInstall.txt' for log

Can someone please guide me on how to go about correcting this issue?

Regards,
Harsh Songara
Error_Install.txt
Error_SourcesInstall.txt

Tamas Nemes

May 1, 2021, 1:02:19 PM5/1/21
to Caffe Users
It seems that the install process is trying to install CUDA 9.1 simultaniously, but you already have CUDA 10.2 on your system. Since you cannot have two CUDA versions at once, try to uninstall v10 first and then try installing again.
But since v9 is very outdated and probably not compatible anymore with your card, I'm not sure you wanna do that. In fact, the article you provide is at least 2 years old, so it shouldn't be used for installing on today's systems. If you build Caffe from source (which is recommended), you should have a look at up-to-date guides such as this one: https://github.com/Totemi1324/caffe-installation-guide This is not for Colab, but it's better to have a working system than to work hours trying to run an outdated framework on Colab.
Hope you succeed!

Regards,
Tamas

Harsh Songara

May 2, 2021, 3:51:12 AM5/2/21
to Tamas Nemes, Caffe Users
Hey, thank you for your reply. I'm trying to implement it on my system currently as you suggested.

I'll take a look at the updated guide as well.