How can I reduce the over-fitting of caffe-reference model ?

Erogol

Jan 1, 2015, 7:48:14 AM1/1/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
I have 18 different classes with almost 1200 images per each. As I train the model it gives the test set accuracy 35% but after some epochs it starts to reduce to 21%, although loss values is decreasing continuously. I guess this is a sign of over-fitting. If my assumption is true, how should I reduce the over-fitting effect ?

Prasanna Gyawali

Jan 8, 2015, 4:21:16 AM1/8/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
If you're on Caffe, you can use DropOut Layer for mitigating the problem of overfitting!!

Kun Duan

Jan 8, 2015, 10:49:01 AM1/8/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
Try reduce the learning rate? you can test and see if your model gives close to 100% accuracy on training set. Also early stop when the test scores do not improve?

npit

Apr 30, 2015, 3:42:28 AM4/30/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
If you can't get more training examples, then either try a different network architecture or stop when the test accuracy consistently reduces.