How to train end-to-end (image-to-image)?

jauf...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2015, 2:08:11 PM12/9/15
to Caffe Users, bernha...@student.tugraz.at

Hello everyone,

We are quite new to caffe, but what we have seen so far, looks really promising.

After reading a few papers [1][2], we wanted to reproduce the result of [1],

specifically about a segmentation challenge [4].

We downloaded the modified caffe from [3] and were able to execute it,

just to see, that the trained network didn't work with the dataset from [4].

At first we thought that the network needs to be trained for the specific problem.

Which lead to the problem of how to do 'image-to-image (aka end-to-end) learning ' ([4], training data).

This lead us to 'holistically nested edge detection' (hed, [2]), where image-to-image learning,

seems to be used.

With hed, we were able to retrain the network on our own. But it doesn't work (it leads to all 0 or 0.5 images - black images :-( ) if we try to train the network for the dataset of [4]. For initialisation we wrote a script to calculate the mean-map witch we use for the dataset of [4]

Our question(s) are:

How can we reproduce the result, mentioned in [1] by running image-to-image training?

or:

How do you train networks, where we have image-to-image learning?

Since we only have 30 image-to-image pairs, should we implement deformation as mentioned in [1]/[3] via matlab/python or is there a functionality within caffe already?

Are we missing something simple from [1] or [2]?

Kind regards,

Klaus and Bernhard

[1] http://arxiv.org/abs/1505.04597

[2] https://github.com/s9xie/hed